Karting Wednesday August 18th | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Karting Wednesday August 18th

Discussion in 'California & Nevada (Northern)' started by bobafett, Aug 16, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Gary(SF)

Gary(SF) F1 Rookie

Oct 13, 2003
    Los Altos Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Gary B.
    I should be able to make next week, depending on where you go.

Gary

2. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002
    There were a few ladies in our last group, IIRC.

Well, from a 100% more fun point of view, GKR is last on the list. Location is most convenient as it's central, but that is it.

I will call up SpeedRing and also LMK and see what they have to say. My thought is this, we get a good enough rate on an hourly usage (say, $800/hour), and we get 10-12 people, that is a pretty solid deal to me. Wednesday nights should be easy to secure.

--Dan

3. redhead

redhead F1 Rookie

Dec 26, 2001
    Full Name:
    ~Red~
    OK,
    so Chris and I ended up going to SR tonight to "figure out things". So, first thing right out of the bat, I had made reservations for 8.45 practice and 9.00 sprint race. Well, they only had us down for the race. So, at least the guy was cool and gave us a "slight ($5-) discount" on the $25- 12 min practice.

So, after getting into my highly patched and ****ty suit, we head out for our 12 minutes session. Matt, I should have listened to you. I had 6 good laps before my kart took a ****. So, they got me another, and continued on.

So, after the practice, since we were in the next race, they kept Chris and I and a couple others out on track to start the qual. for the race. After 5 min., i was on pole again. We start the race and it was not that bad. The karts stick to the track ALOT better then then at GKR. But, the karts SUCK. They are a lot smaller then GKR and it was very uncomfortable for me and chris alike. Funny thing happened at the end of it all, a big crash at the hairpin after the long straight and someone busted open the gas tank, so fuel all over the braking zone, so it was 2 laps to the end, aprox, and they just called the race.

All in all, I would give them a 6.5.
    GKR a 8.6 (watching the Olympics) :)

Issues:
    Karts too small
    seats too big for everyone
    $70 for 12 min practice/5 min qual. 25 min race.
    Kart power/speed. 6.5 horse i think?!?!?

Good Points:
    Track surface is awesome. Very high grip.
    Marshalls were actually pretty cool in comparison to GKR.

So, next test, Lemans. Anyone want to go???

Oh, and I lead the whole race, and lapped up to third place twice. Second place used to work at Lemans, but was >6 sec. behind at the end. :)

4. pig4bill

pig4bill Karting

Dec 24, 2003
    I've been to LeMans a couple times. They have a tv screen showing lap times of the group on track, but I think it's only in the "track room". I don't know if they have a facility for a private room. They have a staging room that's used for introduction of the rules and so forth, but they'll need that for the next group. The seats are pretty narrow except for one kart that's got a "chubby" seat. From what I understand, the karts are similar to the ones at Speedring.

If you want some real fun, there's a track day being set up in late September at Willow Springs on their kart track with shifter karts, everything included for $350. :)

5. nizam

nizam Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 9, 2004
    San Jose, CA
    Full Name:
    Ni Zam
    Aha! So you went karting anyway!

Errr ... so did I. It was totally spontaneous. Really!

Anyway, I went to LeMans Karting with Larry (the other bloke Faisal "picked off the street" the last time) and we went for the "Combo". It was $50 for a ten minute practice, followed by a 20 minute race.

Well, the owners have definitely cut costs on this place. First of all, there were no lights out in the parking lot, nor in the entry way leading into the place. It was kinda spooky.

The two girls at the front desk were quite efficient signing us in and after the hokey 10-minute home-made video about flags and safety, they handed us our racing suits. We immediately notice that these were hi-miler suits, having been used in several LeMans 24-hr races, back-to-back. They were clean, but both the elbows have been worn through and were now ventilation ducts.

At least the lockers were free (costs a quarter at GKR).

We get to the track and immediately notice that the layout is nothing like what's on the posted track map. We also immediately notice there were only two guys running the whole show. At least at GKR I remember three or four guys milling about the track. These two guys spend about a half hour preparing the karts for our "combo" while we stood there waiting to go out. Since none of the karts were turned off while the two mechanics/flagmen/starters worked, it got somewhat nauseating in the pit area. We surmised that the fans they had were not drawing enough air through the warehouse to keep the air, uh, lean.

Evetually, they start calling our names out. The karts were definitely smaller than GKR. No 4-pt harness nor roll hoop. After the first half a lap, I declared to myself that my kart as being the worst yet. Larry seemed to have lucked out and received a nicer kart. For instance, mine would refuse to turn left unless I absolutely slow waaay down. Luckilly the track was run clockwise so I was at a disadvantage only at that corner.

The practice came and went and I gridded third. The grid had eleven drivers. The green flag came on and we were off! At turn four, I got rubbed under braking and went around; the rest of the field, save one, went by as I righted myself and got under way again. Grip was OK, but I think it's mostly due to my sucky kart. We were turning between 22-24 second lap times and we covered between 63 and 66 laps (back marker and race winner, respectively) in the 20-minute race.

My rating of LMK is 6.0 with GKR at 8.0. I'd go there again with you guys, but I think many may not enjoy it as much due to the size of the karts, and the lower-maintenance interval of the karts and facilities.

edited for spelling

6. tvrfreak

tvrfreak F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Mar 31, 2003
    Arkansas
    Full Name:
    F K
    Wow, thanks for all the insights. Ok, so it's looking like GKR is the best facility -- let's make that a regular venue then? I will call and make the reservations for next Wednesday, unless someone has a preference for another evening next week?

Who's in? I am thinking:

Matt
    Philip
    Nizam (is Larry interested in coming?)
    Rich (watch out for Kiyoshi)
    Chris
    Kiyoshi (from Lotus club - guy is waaaay fast)
    John
    Dan
    Wilfred
    Faisal

Have I forgotten anyone? Please let me know as the numbers are really important (I have to prepay!).

Remember, I still have to tell you guys about the ass trickle...hehehehehe!

I will start a new thread...

7. redhead

redhead F1 Rookie

Dec 26, 2001
    Full Name:
    ~Red~
    Yeah...I will reply to the other thread. But one more small point.

I have never been this sore after karting. THose karts give you a fricking wokout at SR. I have brusies on both hip bones and my wrist is tweaked.

of course it was well worth it!!

C u next week