Buying in Italy | FerrariChat

Buying in Italy

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Rod, Aug 11, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Rod

Rod Formula Junior

Jan 18, 2004
    South Derbyshire
    Full Name:
    Rod
    Guys...

Do any of you have any experience of buying a ferrari in Italy? likely to be from a dealer? I have PM's a few of you and thanks for your replys.. I was trying to get a broader feel from others that may have taken this route.

Any help is appreciated

2. matkat

matkat Formula 3

Mar 18, 2003
    Scotland
    Full Name:
    Dave McGuire
    Rod,are you coming to the Knockhill trackday next week?
    fls aerospace e-mail address no good now not working there anymore.
    Dave

3. Rod

Rod Formula Junior

Jan 18, 2004
    South Derbyshire
    Full Name:
    Rod
    Hi Dave

Definately Sat 21st?

I see that it is advertised a Ferrari day? and not a super car day?. If I can get my skates on and buy this 328 that is for sale in Italy!!!! Your not working in Italy.. are you?

Rod

4. matkat

matkat Formula 3

Mar 18, 2003
    Scotland
    Full Name:
    Dave McGuire
    Rod,I did notice it had changed from a Multi type car to just ferrari,and no B-B-Q at ST.Andrews bay either must be the cost cutting of the new "regime"I will be there from about 10:00 am,I think you have my mobile number so call me.
    Dave.
    Not working at present,back home in waterlogged Balmullo.

5. Rod

Rod Formula Junior

Jan 18, 2004
    South Derbyshire
    Full Name:
    Rod
    Dave

Not working with a 355 to keep? Things must be good!!! Will you have the 355 with you?

Also are you going to Derby in September for the big ferrari day?

Rod

6. 208 GT4

208 GT4 Formula 3

Dec 27, 2003
    Brighton (UK)
    Full Name:
    Dan
    Hi Rod,

I bought my 1975 208 GT4 in Italy about 2 years ago. I bought from a dealer. I imported it personally, which involved a bit of a paper chase, but Ferrari UK were very helpful...which is more than I can say for the DVLA.

I saved quite a bit, but exchange rates were a bit more favourable then. There was no import duty to pay.

Footman James were able to provide insurance based on the Chassis no, so I was able to drive it back from Italy legally. I also purchased extra breakdown cover since the AA's 'European' cover didn't include Italy???

Dan

7. Rod

Rod Formula Junior

Jan 18, 2004
    South Derbyshire
    Full Name:
    Rod
    Thanks Dan thats very helpful I will check them out.

Is it definate that there is nothing to pay when buying in Italy? Ie duty tax? change of owner ship? local taxes etc?
    I am buying from a dealer that "owns the car" he is not selling on a customers behalf.
    Is there anything else to look out for?
    Did you get the car inspected?

Cheers

Rod

8. 208 GT4

208 GT4 Formula 3

Dec 27, 2003
    Brighton (UK)
    Full Name:
    Dan
    Rod,

If it's a 2ndhand car - over 6 months old I think? - then there's no duty to pay on import. If there is a tax liability in Italy, then the dealer will meet it, but I seem to remember there wasn't?

I had to pay a registration fee to the DVLA, plus road tax when I first registered it, plus it had to have an MOT which they can do with a chassis no instead of reg no. I didn't get the original Italian registration document when I bought the car. It came with a certified copy, which was basically a pretty poor photocopy with some postage stamp type things on it from the issuing office. The registration document only had the year of first registration, but not the day or month. The DVLA insisted on this info, and Ferrari UK were able to supply a letter (on very nice headed paper!) that confirmed the month of manufacture, and the subsequent UK Reg No I received was based on that. Also, the DVLA wanted to inspect the car - a 5 minute check of chassis nos etc...but this has to be booked in advance...2 bloomin weeks for a 5 minute job!

Also, the Italian number plates are not like UK ones in that they have to be returned to the authorities when a car is scrapped or exported. That is the dealer's responsibility however, so be sure to send them back to him or he will face a fine.

I didn't have a professional inspection done, as I tend to trust my own judgement on that sort of thing.

Dan

9. F308 MAN

F308 MAN F1 Rookie

Jan 19, 2004
    Isle of Man
    Full Name:
    Dave S
    are you certain dan ? .....I've driven throughout italy for twenty eight years (on and off) with AA five star cover.
    cheers, d

10. F308 MAN

F308 MAN F1 Rookie

Jan 19, 2004
    Isle of Man
    Full Name:
    Dave S
    of course he is....there's also a bbq in Heck on the fri night.
    d

11. 208 GT4

208 GT4 Formula 3

Dec 27, 2003
    Brighton (UK)
    Full Name:
    Dan
    The bog standard AA package comes with up to 3 days 'European' cover - which really means France, Germany or the Low Countries. I ended up ugrading, so I think you are right in that 5 Star cover will cover more of Europe.

12. matkat

matkat Formula 3

Mar 18, 2003
    Scotland
    Full Name:
    Dave McGuire
    Rod,will for sure have the 355 with me as for Sept.not sure at present(sorry Dave)am starting up a new business at present and trying to find the time is difficult.
    Dave Mc

13. peajay

peajay Formula Junior

Apr 17, 2002
    near Paris, France
    Full Name:
    Paul
    My car was imported by a dealer from Italy into Belgium and I registered it in France, the only thing to pay was the French registration fee and inspection. The rule is that if you are in an EEC country and purchase a used vehicle from another EEC country, then it is considered to be already duty paid. But be careful because Switzerland for instance is NOT an EEC member and you will pay import duty on a Swiss car, same for other countries such as Norway etc.

14. Rod

Rod Formula Junior

Jan 18, 2004
    South Derbyshire
    Full Name:
    Rod
    Hi Guys

It is looking good that I will be picking the car up from Munich, the garage owner also has a garage there. What would be the best and most direct route home? including the ferry route?

Rod

15. F308 MAN

F308 MAN F1 Rookie

Jan 19, 2004
    Isle of Man
    Full Name:
    Dave S
    without the map in front of me, i would suggest munich > frankfurt > dusseldorf > koln > bonn > brussels > lille > dunkerque > calais etc, etc....all motorway.
    cheers, d

16. ferrari355gtb

ferrari355gtb Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    UK
    Full Name:
    R
    Rod,

Make sure you keep receipts of petrol that can prove it has been used in a foreign country, I think the rule is 6 months (as stated above) and 5000 miles (or km's - I'm not sure) then the car is classified as being second hand and no VAT or duty. I brought an Integrale in a few years ago and it was fairly easy job - the car was never inspected over here.

Good luck - let us know how it goes.

Rick

17. matkat

matkat Formula 3

Mar 18, 2003
    Scotland
    Full Name:
    Dave McGuire
    There is no taxation issue at all,even if you buy a brand new car as long as it is bought in the EEC then it is deemed to be tax paid,you do not need to keep any petrol receipts and do not have to drive it any miles/kms at all.There is a comprehensive guide to this issue on the dvla website,Rod direct Munich-Zeebrugge-Rosyth-Stirling Piece of the proverbial,that ferry is great make sure to get an outside cabin and buy your dinner&breakfast vouchers before boarding(a lot cheaper)Are you still coming to KH on Saturday?
    Dave

18. Rod

Rod Formula Junior

Jan 18, 2004
    South Derbyshire
    Full Name:
    Rod
    Dave

I want to go but the chap wants me to see the car on Saturday!!! I don't want to stall him any longer in case I miss the chance to buy.. I will check out the ferry from Zee to Rosyth.. this would make sense and save on the dreadfull drive in the Uk!!

Rod

19. ferrari355gtb

ferrari355gtb Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    UK
    Full Name:
    R
    Matkat - are you sure about that ? This certainly wasn't the case 6 years ago (when I imported mine). I've seen adverts quoting new LHD drive cars for a price + VAT as if there is duty to be paid.

Rick

20. matkat

matkat Formula 3

Mar 18, 2003
    Scotland
    Full Name:
    Dave McGuire
    Richard,absolutely sure,the tax regulations became standard across Europe at the same time as the abolition of the duty-frees not sure of the exact date.If you are seeing a car advertised as +VAT then there can be several reasons for this,if it has had no VAT paid whatsover(brand new) or it can also have been purchased by someone who is exempt(non EU citizen)or military or diplomatic,but for us normal People if the VAT has been paid in a EU member state then it has deemed to have been paid in all states,an easy example of this is the weekend booze cruise You can buy cheap drink in France(where duty is lower) and import into the UK with no further tax due.
    Dave Mc

21. matkat

matkat Formula 3

Mar 18, 2003
    Scotland
    Full Name:
    Dave McGuire
    It"s a good idea,just getting of the boat and a 30 min drive,think the ferry leaves Zee at about 16:30,but check their web-site,http://www.superfast.com/
    All the best
    Dave

22. Rod

Rod Formula Junior

Jan 18, 2004
    South Derbyshire
    Full Name:
    Rod
    Hi Dave

The ferry leaves Zee at 1800pm prompt!!! and gets into Rosyth for 1030am the next day.. Cost? £140 one way!!! I need to work out how long it will take from Munich to the ferry terminal.... I did have a chap that could check the car for me, however he will not be able to help this weekend so I am trying to put the owner back until next weekend!!!

23. matkat

matkat Formula 3

Mar 18, 2003
    Scotland
    Full Name:
    Dave McGuire
  24. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    bought my 512tr in 2000 from the dealer in rome. i had local insurance cover for about 2 weeks. i drove it to the uk, then got cover from my insurance carrier there. there was no import duty. there is a fee to pay to the dvla and of course all their paperwork, but this is more hassle than cost. within a month it was all done, and i think the total cost was less than £250. you need to get the paperwork requirements from the dvla, they send you a whole packet, and you just follwo the directions. you also need to prove that you brought it in yourself so keep all the toll receipts, ferry/shuttle, petrol etc....

25. Rod

Rod Formula Junior

Jan 18, 2004
    South Derbyshire
    Full Name:
    Rod
    Thanks Ross, I have had trouble getting insurance from Liverpool & victoria as they require a british reg.. they will not accept the chassis number! I only need insurance for the journey from Munich to Zeebrugge.. any numbers?
    Thanks for the advice on the receipts etc.. How much did the tolls work out?
    Rod