Carbon fiber engine bonnet cover for TR | FerrariChat

Carbon fiber engine bonnet cover for TR

Discussion in '308/328' started by johnbob, Aug 18, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. johnbob

johnbob Karting

Nov 8, 2003
    Oklahoma
    Looking for feedback regarding these TR specific parts. After much work the production parts are ready for sale. We had to retool since the dimensional tolerances of the original Ferrari parts were lacking by today’s standards. Subsequently we started with a clean slate. A plug for the part was created with a “solid works model” and then machined from tooling composite on a five axis machine. Tools were then pulled from the dimensionally accurate part from which the carbon fiber parts are created using a vacuum oven process. The final parts are very light and extremely strong. This same process is used by the aerospace industry to make structural components. We also have chosen to use automotive glass that is water cut with the black edge, similar to the original glass on the car, that is manufactured and installed by an OEM supplier for GM and Chrysler. The end result is a beautiful part that is lightweight and strong that enhances the styling of the TR and shows the beautiful Ferrari 12 cylinder engine.
    We are also offering a carbon fiber heat shield cover that is a cosmetic piece intended to go between the air intake and the exhaust heat shield.
    Both parts are strictly bolt-on with no modifications required.

Price for the Carbon Fiber Engine Cover= $1,800.
    Price for the Carbon Fiber exhaust shield cover= $150

Depending on how these items are recieved we plan to be offering more TR specific parts.
    Thanks,
    John Fiore
    (918) 331-5174

2. johnbob

johnbob Karting

Nov 8, 2003
    Oklahoma
    more pics

3. F40

F40 F1 Rookie

Apr 16, 2003
    AZ
    Damn, you have an F40 and a twin turbo TR? I like the engine cover!

4. ASG 86TR

ASG 86TR Formula 3

Aug 23, 2001
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Adam G
    Looks great.....I have always wanted to have a glass piece like that...but I would want to keep the red chicklet vs the CF...just my taste...any chance it could be done with the same original material (I think Fiber Glass) and mount the glass?

The one part I would buy in a second is if someone took a mold of the front spoiler and made one out of the same rubber on the back of the Porsche 928...or even the whale tail....stiff, but flexable rubber...I hate fixing mine every little bump...

5. Driven1413

Driven1413 Formula Junior

Aug 14, 2004
    South Shore, MA
    Full Name:
    Alex
    That is beautiful. One of my favorite features of the 360 is the glass engine cover. To be able to do the same to the TR is fantastic. The carbon is great, and looks at home on top of the factory grills.

Please post when these are ready for sale!

Alex

6. johnbob

johnbob Karting

Nov 8, 2003
    Oklahoma
    These are ready for sale now, also I will post a picture of the heat shield tomorrow, really looks cool. Front spoiler is in the works, but would like to sell some of the engine covers first.

7. Orthoferrari

Orthoferrari Karting

Feb 29, 2004
    Clearwater, Florida
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Love the engine cover. I will be ordering very soon! How long from order to delivery?

Where does the heat shield go?

8. Doug.

Doug. F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 16, 2004
    Las Vegas, NV
    a twin-turbo TR!!! my knee's just buckled....

9. Testacojones

Testacojones F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2003
    Lecusay
    Is very nice to see the flat 12 Ferrari motor all the time, for me the Testarossa,F40,512TR and F512M motors are the best looking from Ferrari.

10. millemiglia

millemiglia Formula Junior

Jan 14, 2003
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Full Name:
    Peter B.
    WOW!

That looks absolutely awesome!

On my wishlist now if I ever get myself a 512 TR.

Wish something like that were available for the 348...

/Peter

11. 348 Turbo

348 Turbo Formula 3

Jul 17, 2002
    Beautiful!! This is the finest TR, (IMO), I've had the pleasure of seeing. I bet it runs FAST too! I also love the engine cover.

BTW- Andre is currently working on a similair cover for the 348; carbon fiber and lexan.

Congrats on the TR!

12. johnbob

johnbob Karting

Nov 8, 2003
    Oklahoma
    These are currently available and in stock, here is a pic of the heat shield.

13. speedingpenguin

speedingpenguin Karting

Apr 6, 2004
    Looks friggin awsome! Now if only I had a Testarossa.... :D

14. Kevallino

Kevallino Formula 3

Feb 10, 2004
    Mid-Ohio
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    I gotta see that....!

Cheers
    Kevin

15. riverflyer

riverflyer F1 Rookie

Nov 26, 2003
    Mendocino, Ca
    Full Name:
    John
    John, how about one for the 355's out there?

16. Bimmerista

Bimmerista Formula 3

Feb 7, 2004
    Carrollton, TX
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Beautiful TR...I love that bonnet!!! The 3rd brake light is a nice touch too!!! Someone mentioned you have an F40 too....any pics of that?? :D

17. Prova85

Prova85 Formula 3

Nov 13, 2003
    So. Shore MA.
    Full Name:
    Kenny K
    Any plans for a cover without a brake light for those of us with Euro's ?

Kenny K

18. johnbob

johnbob Karting

Nov 8, 2003
    Oklahoma
    Not at this time.

19. f355b

f355b Formula Junior

Jan 23, 2004
    Little Silver,NJ
    wow, now that is beautiful.

20. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    I know that if you're supplying the CHMSL you don't want to use the Ferrari part ($;)), but is there any reason that the stock TR CHMSL (and shape) couldn't be used? Does it make the tooling too difficult and/or expensive?

21. benaustin

benaustin Karting
    BANNED

Jul 23, 2004
    That looks great!

22. Eggman

Eggman Karting

Nov 23, 2003
    Santa Rosa, CA
    Full Name:
    Mr. P
    One of the coolest-looking TR modifications I have seen. And even (arguably) functional! Very nice.

Chris.

23. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    Question, which resin did you use to coat the CF? How well does that resin hold up to prolonged heat after a number of years (and the resin degrades)?

I want to make the heat shields in my 328GTS out of CF, but question and wonder about this.

Also, I would like to make my Airbox but do not know which resin would both stand up to heat AND provide a good insulator for the incoming air against the heat.

If you would like to PM this information that is fine, again it is for a 328. Thanks!

24. Driven1413

Driven1413 Formula Junior

Aug 14, 2004
    South Shore, MA
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Question:

The heat shield is beautiful. Will the stock intake mount properly to the new piece? With your TT setup, I notice your intake is different. Is this Carbon piece interchangable with the factory heat shield? If so, I will order one ASAP for my 1990 TR

Thanks,

Alex

25. johnbob

johnbob Karting

Nov 8, 2003
    Oklahoma
    This heat shield cover fits on top of the stock heat shield. This item is strictly cosmetic and is made to fit on top of the stock shield. Will fit a stock TR with no modification. Remove four nuts lift up air filter intake, install cover and replace air fillter intake and nuts. Looks really cool! 10 minute install.