Search the Web! How do I get rid of it? | FerrariChat

Search the Web! How do I get rid of it?

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by Bill Sawyer, Aug 19, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Bill Sawyer

Bill Sawyer Formula 3

Feb 26, 2002
    Georgia
    I apparently have some spyware on my home PC. A new search bar appeared called Search the Web! Does anyone know what this is and how I get rid of it?

2. Fan512bbi

Fan512bbi Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2004
    Wales-UK
    Full Name:
    Steve.
    If you open up the control panel, go to add/remove programmes, click on the item you want to remove, and it should be deleted.

3. BWS550

BWS550 Wants to be a mod

Apr 1, 2002
    NEW JERSEY
    Full Name:
    BRUCE WELLINGTON
    HEY BILL

HOPE ALL IS WELL. FAMILY AND BUSINESS

HAD THE SAME PROBLEM LAST MONTH

GO TO CONTROL PANEL, THEN DELETE IT...SIMPLE FIX

TAKE CARE!!

BRUCE

4. UroTrash

UroTrash Three Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    My kids go somewhere and bring that miserable little screen clutter home as well. You can slowly move your mouse to the lower edge of it and a double arrow will appear, when that happens hold down left mouse button and push the mouse upward and it should disappear.

5. Bill Sawyer

Bill Sawyer Formula 3

Feb 26, 2002
    Georgia
    Thanks guys! I should have thought to go to the control panel. I hate it when aliens take ver my computer.

Bruce: Good to hear from you! The business is picking up. I'm thinking about stating another company to service medium and heavy duty trucks. There isn't much competition here and I already have all the equipment.

Take care.

6. Bertus

Bertus Formula 3

Mar 1, 2004
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Bert S
    I have to same problem, but i can't find it in the control panel.
    How was it called in the add/remove program ?

One time i deleted things i shouldn't have deleted so i'm a bit more carefull now.

7. dfratini

dfratini Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 31, 2003
    Spokane, WA
    Full Name:
    Daniel Fratini
    Bill,

You should try 3rd party software, I use Spybot - Search & Destroy. Works great. Not only will it identify programs it will immunize your computer so that in the event you [or your kids] go back to the web site the program cannot be reinstalled.

dan

8. Bill Sawyer

Bill Sawyer Formula 3

Feb 26, 2002
    Georgia
    I went home and checked and I have the same problem as Bertus, it's not listed under add and remove programs.

Spybot is a good idea. Is it free, or pay?

9. BWS550

BWS550 Wants to be a mod

Apr 1, 2002
    NEW JERSEY
    Full Name:
    BRUCE WELLINGTON
  10. dfratini

dfratini Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 31, 2003
    Spokane, WA
    Full Name:
    Daniel Fratini
    Spybot is pay but definately worth the money, IMHO.

dan

11. WJHMH

WJHMH Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2001
    Panther City, Texas
    Full Name:
    WJHMH
    I've tried Spybot & it doesn't remove everything. Norton Firewall 2004 works much better, it also comes with all the ant-ivirus software. I bought a copy at Sam's Club for $45.00.

Good luck

12. PeterS

PeterS Four Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2003
    Goodyear, AZ
    Full Name:
    PeterS
    Untrue, Spybot is free. Two other things to do daily:

1) R.Click on the explorer icon and click on propeties. Delete Cookies, Files and History.

2) Start + All Programs + Accessories+ System Tools + Disk Cleanup. Run that to get rid of old compressed files. If you have never done this, let it run overnight.

13. tonyh

tonyh F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 23, 2002
    S W London
    Full Name:
    Tony H
  14. 3DMotorsports

3DMotorsports Rookie

Jan 5, 2004
    I'll assume you're not using the Google toolbar (with a pretty good pop-up blocker). What you have is a spyware BHO, or Browser Helper Object. The only way to really clear that up is to go into the registry and delete any entries with BHO or Browserhelper in the name. These spyware trojans or worms will install registry entries in multiple places, so you'll have to use the search function when you run regedit from the start menu to find all entries for BHOs or browserhelper. Good luck. Sometimes they are a *****. Even if you uninstall or delete the folder from the hard drive, the registry entry will recreate/install it.

15. Jason W

Jason W Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Singapore
    Full Name:
    Jason
  16. RyanZX6R

RyanZX6R Formula Junior

Nov 4, 2003
    Riverside County
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    you can get a free trial for Norton Antivirus 2004 off of the Symantec web page. This might help in cleaning up anything that may have creeped into your computer.

17. Schatten

Schatten F1 World Champ
    Owner

Apr 3, 2001
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Randy
    actually there are several other spybot type of applications out there that mask themselves into looking similar to / named similar - but yet they invite the spyware/malware over to your system and charge you to remove it.

18. Schatten

Schatten F1 World Champ
    Owner

Apr 3, 2001
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Randy
    not true, not true one bit. you actually need to use both spybot and adaware together, along with hijackthis on occassion. there no one program that detects it all, but spybot & adaware together does wonders.

just remember, there's a few lurking members on here that actually have their websites setup to download that crap to your systems. one said it is the only way he can support his ferrari addiction.

19. Fan512bbi

BANNED

Mar 25, 2004
    Wales-UK
    Full Name:
    Steve.
    Is this true about lurkers on this site infecting others? who do we trust anymore

20. Schatten

Schatten F1 World Champ
    Owner

Apr 3, 2001
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Randy
    nope. not lurkers. and they do not infect your system that way.

you get it by where you go out there. they have nothing to do with it.

21. Fan512bbi

BANNED

Mar 25, 2004
    Wales-UK
    Full Name:
    Steve.
    OK understood, better be a bit more careful in future, thanks.

22. scott61

scott61 F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2004
    North of Boston
    My step daughter downloaded some new music sharing program blubster and it put some real nasty adware crap on her P.C that was very tough to totally delete. Make sure you warn your kids to stay away from that one

23. Bill Sawyer

Bill Sawyer Formula 3

Feb 26, 2002
    Georgia
    The following is an e-mail I received from Lop.com regarding removing Search the Web! If any of you are having as much trouble as I did, this should help.

In the terms and conditions of any of our software products it is clearly stated that we grant you a free license to use the software and by installing the software on your computer you agree to use our search services in your web browser. Any and all changes made to your system are clearly stated in the terms and conditions and are fully un-installable via the Add-and-Remove Programs option available from the Windows Start Menu--Settings--Control Panel--Add/Remove Programs.

In the 'Add / Remove Programs' list, look for 'Window Search', 'Window Searching', 'Lop.com', 'LOP SEARCH', 'Browser Enhancer', or 'Ultimate Browser Enhancer' from the menu to run the uninstaller.

If you've tried the above steps and the uninstall is still unsuccessful, try disabling your anti-virus software, Ad-aware, Sophos, and other programs of that nature. Re-download the uninstaller, then run it. Ad-aware et al seem to interfere with the uninstall process. If disabling that software allows you to run our uninstaller successfully, please tell us or email the software company in question and tell them they need to fix their software.

- Additionally a separate uninstall program may be downloaded here:
    http://lop.com/new_uninstall.exe

This is a new universal uninstaller and will remove any components, such as the toolbar.

If none of these suggestions solve the problem, try reinstalling the LOP software, then running the uninstall again.

Please let us know if we can be of any further assistance,

Lucy Lewis,
    Lop.com Customer Service

24. F40

F40 F1 Rookie

Apr 16, 2003
    AZ
    Spyware deleted part of windows on my computer... Every now and then I lose my 24/7 cable internet connection and the computer reboots. PITA.

25. Erik330

Erik330 Formula Junior

May 8, 2004
    Ohio
    Agree on Adaware. I run spybot and then run Adaware and AA picks up the stuff Spybot missed.