The 348 gets the Tubi Test Pipes! PART TWO! | FerrariChat

The 348 gets the Tubi Test Pipes! PART TWO!

Discussion in '348/355' started by 348SStb, Aug 17, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 348SStb

348SStb F1 Rookie
    Owner

Like Dino, I now have a Tubi muffler AND Tubi test pipes (in place of the cats) on my 348. Thank you Dino!

All of you who testified about the sound were correct: THE SOUND IS UNBELIEVABLE! The sound is like a harmony of 4 or 5 different sounds at once. Night and day between stock and this setup. I drove a Mondial T (same engine) with a Tubi muffler only, and I say that that car sounded nothing like mine does now. This is perhaps the most fantastic sound I've ever heard on a car!

The sound is both deep and high-pitched--a combination of sounds as I stated earlier. People around the neighborhood tell me that my car sounds like a "Formula 1 race car." They stand outside with their arms crossed in complete awe. The sound is so pervasive that the car sounds like it is going through a tunnel all the time.

Is it obnoxious? I don't think so. It's loud, but good loud--nothing like the lawnmower sound of those rice-mobiles you see on the road. Idle is hardly louder (except for cold starts) than stock; and on the highway, the car isn't any louder than it was (The engine and exhaust were pretty loud on the highway to begin with.).

I will try to take a digital video of the car to capture for others the amazing sound! I won't know what to do with the video so someone please offer your help for putting it up eventually...

2. Noelrp

Noelrp Formula Junior

Aug 30, 2001
    SSF
    Full Name:
    Noel
    Wooo hooo! Way to go.

Welcome to the club (tubi club).

:) :)

3. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    Welcome to the tubi-straight/testpipe club. :)

Makes you want to drive even more no? :)

4. Kevallino

Kevallino Formula 3

Feb 10, 2004
    Mid-Ohio
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Looking forward to the audio/video - I have a Tubi and Hyper-flow cats which sounds magnificent but would love to hear whatever additional "flavor" the pure test pipes add.

I happen to have a set of test pipes as well but had the cats fitted due to not passing smog in California - OEM cats were gutted so had to spend the $$$.

Cheers
    Kevin

5. ferrariKP

ferrariKP F1 Rookie

Jul 29, 2004
    BKK/ LOS
    Full Name:
    Kenny
    Why don't you guys think about Imola, I just have it installed on my tb. It sounds terrific, some says it's second to none. Just share info, don't want to disturb anyone. CHEER!!!

6. SFchallenge

SFchallenge F1 World Champ

Jun 28, 2004
    Sgp, KL, HK & London
    Full Name:
    Jon Wijaya
    Yap, how much is it from them? How about Ansa, LC, Capristo etc.

7. ANDYH

ANDYH Karting

Feb 29, 2004
    Bedfordshire, UK
    Full Name:
    ANDY H
    Dave - welcome to the tubi /test pipe club ! The sound gets even better once the system has been bedded in after about 200 miles or so. The only problem with it personally speaking is that my fuel consumption has gone up as I dont want to move out of 3rd gear anymore.......just want to keep those revs high and the sound booming !!!!

8. 348SStb

348SStb F1 Rookie
    Owner

Thanks guys!

Yea, my gas mileage has gone to poop. I'm always keeping the car in low gear to hear it scream!

I think with hyper-flows and Tubi the sound should be almost the same. I've heard that Hyper-Flow cats restrict only by 4%--so that means you're 96% close to being test pipes.

9. tonyh

tonyh F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 23, 2002
    S W London
    Full Name:
    Tony H
    Another Tubi decat here also . You 've gotta love that noise ;)

10. rkrenek

rkrenek Formula Junior

Aug 26, 2003
    Plano, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Does anyone have a sound clip they could post?

Thanks,
    Rob.

11. Timothy

Timothy Rookie

Jul 15, 2004
    St. Charles, IL
    Full Name:
    Timothy C. Smith
    Just picked up my '91 348 last week! Love it! I'm considering getting a Tubi. I've read here that they will ship you an exhaust on a trial basis and if you don't like it you can return it. What's an average installation and removal going to cost in that event? Also--I love the sound of the car stock, will probably like the Tubi even more--but--I don't really want the sound inside the car to be a lot louder. Many posts seem to emphasize that it's a lot louder, one or two say it isn't that much louder for the driver. What do you think? Thanks.

12. Kevallino

Kevallino Formula 3

Feb 10, 2004
    Mid-Ohio
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    See if you can get a ride in a car that's got the exhaust you're thinking about. It isn't just about volume, but also a change in the whole sound of the car, so you really need to hear it from inside the car to see if it is what you're looking for.

Installation should only be a few hundred bucks at most - mine was a bit expensive due to some fabrication required - long story - but still within that range for both the exhaust and cats install.

Cheers
    Kevin

13. 348SStb

348SStb F1 Rookie
    Owner

Timothy,

I tell you what. A girlfriend of mine came in my car last night and told me that I drive the car much harder than I used to. She's right because I am pressing the throttle harder in order to get the music from the exhaust. I typically drive the car easy--I never floor it, and rarely go very high with the revs. But I am on my exhaust honeymoon, so I guess I am doing both.

However, I cold started my car today and just crept along like I usually do when the car is cold. I tell ya, the car is NO louder when driven easy. If you aren't driving aggressivley, you won't really notice the difference. It's only loud when you get on the gas.

14. richard_wallace

richard_wallace Formula 3

Feb 6, 2004
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Full Name:
    Richard Wallace

So you are driving it now like you should have to begin with :) Drive it like it is stolen!!!

PS. My 355 Spider is getting the test pipes on as we speak (and oil change and some new breaks, etc.) I get it back Monday...!! This has now got my blood flowing :)

15. F1Ace

F1Ace F1 Rookie

Mar 15, 2004
    Full Name:
    Wes
    Oh ya? Well someday I'm gonna get an ANSA exhaust and show you all.
    So there!

Wes

16. Ingenere

Ingenere F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 11, 2001
    On the Limit
    Full Name:
    Dino
    Hey:

I'm glad I had that extra set of test pipes. I told you that you would love the sound. They do make you keep the revs up!

I hope that that girlfriend didn't become a 'carbon based biological speed control device'!!

Enjoy the TP's

Ciao
    Dino

17. riconijhof

riconijhof Formula Junior

Aug 22, 2003
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Rico Nijhof
    Congrats on your Tubi!! Really good move, it wakes a Ferrari up...
    For the video (I'd love to see) you can sign up here and host it for free:

http://www.ferrarirosso.com/

Enjoy your ride!

18. AR!

AR! Formula Junior

Apr 8, 2004
    Berlin, Germany
    I would be interested in a comparison, too. My car still has the stock exhaust and I´m thinking about a replacement ...

I called the guys at Koenig in Munich. They told me that their exhaust has a deeper growl than the tubis.

19. sindo308qv

sindo308qv F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    miami.fl.
    Full Name:
    sindo
    Dave , what about horsepower? Have you noticed or recorded any difference?

20. CambioManuale

CambioManuale Formula Junior

Jul 18, 2004
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Jay

Hi Richard,

I look forward to hearing your comments on the 355 spider tubi test pipes.
    Regards,

CM