Cats on Euro 328. | FerrariChat

Cats on Euro 328.

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Skindiver, Aug 20, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Skindiver

Skindiver Karting

Apr 22, 2004
    JHB SA.
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Hi

Is it safe to say that there are no cats on 89 Euro 328's to begin with ? ( this may be a daft sounding question to many of you but in South - Africa there are no cat laws and only really late models have cats and have to run on unleaded fuel - as standard.
    I most definately run my car and always have run it since 1995 on leaded fuel as we only got unleaded fuel here in 1997 odd.

I wouldnt know what a cat looked like if you hit me with it.
    Now that i think of it i have never seen a slowdown light in my car either. Also my car was origionally made for South - African market being RHD as well as i have found a factory sticker inside the LH door panel designating the car as being destined for South - Africa ( not UK ). It landed in SA in 1989, 8 - 10 years before unleaded fuel arrived here.

All this board talk of Tubi's etc has got me going and now i too want nice noise. My car is just too darned civilised sounding. There is none of the Ferrari magic wailing and howling that im reading about here.
    I suppose i would go for a Tubi if i can find one here. I would not be tampering with the manifold or branches. Just the exhaust.

I assume it will sound good ?

Ive read about test pipes. They seem to mean straight through pipes. Does this mean that the cats are omitted or that the exhaust silencer is omitted... both or neither ?

I have done my obligatory searches but still have these two questions.

Many thanks
    Skin.

2. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Check the 328 SPC at the Ferrari UK parts site -- shows:

The US and Swiss (CH87 & CH88) version exhaust are "insulated headers1 + pipe1 + cat + single inlet muffler"

The SA version exhaust is "insulated headers1 + pipe1 + test pipe + single inlet muffler"

Not USA, SA, CH87 and CH88 (which I guess could be considered as "Euro") is "unisulated headers2 + pipes2 + dual inlet muffler"

Test pipe(s) usually replace only the cat(s). The "no silencer" configuration is usually referred to as an "open" exhaust in the US IME.

3. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Based on Steve's info you should have wrapped headers with no cat then.

The intent of the wrapped headers was to trap heat and continue to oxidize unburned fuel leaving the head.......this is what the early non cat US cars did as well. Mine have that....an aluminum skin over what I suspect is ASBESTOS.

Don't worship at the Tubi altar exclusively, as ANSA was OEM for many years and offers a unit for your car........IIRC

1 800 841-9166

4. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    You can ask, they offer Street and Track versions of many of the systems.....

Be Loud....Be Proud.....

5. Skindiver

Skindiver Karting

Apr 22, 2004
    JHB SA.
    Full Name:
    Greg
    I got under the car and looked this weekend. Based on my eyes and relative to Steves info i have unwrapped headers, no cat and dual inlets.

I took the car for a drive and co - incidentally something let go in the exhaust and it car started growling like an Alpha.
    Any ideas on what could have happened as i checked for and found no there are no external leaks ?
    It sounds really nice but im even more determined to get a tubi or similar now.
    HG parts quoted me 2300.00 $ for a tubi inc shipping. I will look for Ansa/ Stebro prices today.

What ever i get will have to be imported as there is nothing of any description in SA.
    I know a lamborghini shop here that can make an exhaust but im not sure if / how they tune the back pressure. How important is back pressure in the 328 system. ? I may be wrong with my belief but too little back pressure can lean the mix and burn the valves..?

Skin.

6. Mike C

Mike C F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 3, 2002
    Southeast USA
    Full Name:
    Mike Charness
    Stebro will be about $1000 less. If you're an FCA member, also be sure to ask for your 10% discount.

7. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    I'm not sure that "SA" is necessarily for South African -- it could be, but also might not be (e.g., Saudi Arabia). Doesn't mean that there isn't a "RHD South African" sub-package for that market, but the important thing is that you know you need the dual-inlet 328 silencer.

Unfortunately, FerrariUK doesn't include the SPC informational pages in their on-line catalogue (which have useful things like "version XX = description") -- any chance you can add these Jeff?