1999 F355 Odometer Problem | FerrariChat

1999 F355 Odometer Problem

Discussion in '348/355' started by Kevin Krak, Aug 20, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Kevin Krak

Kevin Krak Rookie

Aug 20, 2004
    I took my F355 out of storage today for the first time this season. About a mile down the road, I glanced at the odometer and was shocked to see that the odometer on my 8,000 mile Ferrari was reading 42,000 miles!!! I've driven about 400 miles since I last had it serviced ion July, 2003 and had 8,098 miles as recorded by the dealer.

Any ideas on how this could happen, what the problem is and how to fix it? Does the computer record actual mileage somewhere else so as to allow the dealer to recitfy this problem? Could this be related to charign the battery with a trickle charger?? I'm really at a loss on this.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

2. Dr_ferrari

Dr_ferrari Formula 3
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 2, 2003
    Pocono Sportscar
    Full Name:
    Jim McGee
    If you leave the key in or partialy in the on position during the charging process, the speedometer in some instances will run up to 20 mph. Could possibly explain your condition if left that way for a while.

best regards, Jim

3. tubeguy

tubeguy Formula 3

May 21, 2003
    Upland California
    Full Name:
    Kevin Deal
    Isn't the odometer mechanical? How would it do that?

4. chaa

chaa F1 Veteran

Mar 21, 2003
    Is it my skeptical security back ground or does some thing smell fishy in the question??

5. Kevin Krak

Kevin Krak Rookie

Aug 20, 2004
    That's exactly what has me freaked out!! I have never heard of this problem before and I'm concerned that this is the exact reaction I'll get. I ask about the actual mileage being recorded somewhere else because I'm hoping that it is, that the dealer can obtain the same and correct the odometer reading. If they can't, how will I get my 8,000 mile car back to reading this?

I would be skeptical too, but the problem exists so I know it's possible and am anxious to get it resolved.

6. Dino

Dino Karting

Nov 3, 2003
    San Diego
    You got kids, Ferris?

7. bartman

bartman Karting

May 17, 2004
    new jersey
    Full Name:
    Andrew

LOL

8. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    I can't tell you how it happened but if your car is an F1 the transmission computer records how many kilometers have been covered in each gear. I have used this many times to confirm mileage at time of sale. Anybody with an SD1 or SD2 can access the info, add up all the gears, convert to miles and bingo you have your number. At that point maybe you can have your odometer corrected.

9. Dr_ferrari

Dr_ferrari Formula 3

Nov 2, 2003
    Pocono Sportscar
    Full Name:
    Jim McGee
    Speedometer is electronic. Feedback through system can send false signal to speedometer causing the condition.

best regards, jim

10. Kevin Krak

Kevin Krak Rookie

Aug 20, 2004
    Well, the car's been at Lafe Forest Sports Car for a week now and they find nothing wrong with the system. They've advised that they've never seen this before and need to wait until the factory returns from vacation after 9/1/04 to confer with them.

The saga continues..........

11. LetsJet

LetsJet F1 Veteran
    Owner

May 24, 2004
    DC/LA/Paris/Haleiwa
    Full Name:
    Mr.
    Just curious........

You didn't put it in storage the same place Ferris left his, did you?

12. ILuv4Res

ILuv4Res F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 8, 2002
    Full Name:
    Fred
    It's now WAY past the major-engine out service time period.......... Just kidding.

355's have a physical rotating type display (ie little wheels w/ numbers on them that rotate as miles are added as opposed to the 360's digital electronic display). Therefore, it seems VERY strange that it would rotate those wheels in the display while the car is off.

When you plugged the car back into the charger after driving it, were the wheels moving?

When was your last documented service whereby the mileage was recorded? If, for example, it was serviced very recently with 8k miles and now shows 42k, then you would have a stronger story than if it has no recent service records to support your 8k mile story.

13. msage430

msage430 Formula Junior
    BANNED Silver Subscribed

Feb 8, 2004
    calabasas
    Full Name:
    mike sage
    Kevin Krak , thanks we had a great time in Monterey Peninsula, Big sur, Veages, scotsdale, then dalles, and back to Monterey, for the FCA event

it should be clean and a full tank of gas....

fb

14. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    I had this exact thing happen to me in a customers 355. I was backing the car out of the shop. As soon as I put the car into reverse the odo began to spin like crazy, just sitting there put 10km on the odo. I shut the car off and re started and it was fine. I'm also quite curious as to why this happend. I have some ideas but I wait until others have posted.

15. Meeyatch1

Meeyatch1 Formula 3

Dec 28, 2003
    Low flying jet.
    Full Name:
    Mitch
    I have seen this happen on other cars as well. The last time I saw it the vehicle was turning from 999 miles to 1,000 miles and the wheels somehow grabbed and turned 10,000 MILES!!

16. Kevin Krak

Kevin Krak Rookie

Aug 20, 2004
    Ferrari and the local dealer confirmed that a 3-4 volt charge on the battery with the key in the ignition resulted in the speedometer registering 40 MPH.

Speedometer replaced and problem is solved!!