Coronado Classic Speed Festival October 9+10 | FerrariChat

Coronado Classic Speed Festival October 9+10

Discussion in 'California (Southern)' started by g60racer, Aug 3, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. g60racer

g60racer Karting

Mar 2, 2004
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Brendan Prout
    Couldn't find an official thread on this event... has anyone from the FOC started organizing this yet? It's coming up October 9+10

I'm one of the club organizers for the Car Corral exhibition area, and I know we're looking for a heads-up of how many cars will be showing at the event, during the next few weeks. I've already got my RSVP list for the Corrado Club and SoCalEuro group started... might be time to start an RSVP list here for the Ferraris. Who on here is the organizer each year for the FOC show area?

For those who have no idea what this is, here you go:

Chrysler Classic Speed Festival
    Presented by North Island Credit Union
    A Pacific Life Holiday Bowl Production

October 9 & 10
    NAS North Island, Naval Base Coronado

Staged on the runways and taxiways of Naval Base Coronado with Navy aircraft and ships in the background, the Speed Festival will feature over 200 of the world's top racing machines from years gone by competing on a spectator-friendly 1.6 mile course. These vintage racecars are chosen to compete on the basis of their historical significance and certified authenticity.

In addition to the racing action, tour Vendor Village, the Car Club Corral and the Classic Car Collection.

Here's the deal: It's THE vintage/classic speed festival, where all the Ferrari 250GTO's, 250 Testarossas, 275 LM's, Porsche 356's, Jag E-types, Cobra 427's, etc etc are brought out and driven like they were meant to. You'll never see such a great collection of race cars actually being raced! The US Navy shuts down a large portion of the airfield at NAS North Island in Coronado and turns it into a 1.6 mile track for the vintage racers. It happens once a year, and it's coming up again this October.

The Car Corral is where all the enthusiast clubs get to display their cars as part of the event! FOC always makes a good showing, along with the Shelby and Viper clubs, Porsche club, Corrado Club, BMW Club, etc.

I'd recommend starting an RSVP list here in this thread of who is interested in showing their cars. I won't maintain it, but it will be started for whoever does keep track of that.

2. g60racer

g60racer Karting

Mar 2, 2004
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Brendan Prout
    40 views and no one wants to go show their cars? Strange things are afoot at the Circle K...

3. Viper 10

Viper 10 Formula Junior

Nov 16, 2003
    Manhattan Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Brad Chang
    I am interested. Can you tell us some details? You can also email me at [email protected] .

Thanks for posting this and keeping us informed.

Brad

4. Bmyth-FDC

Bmyth-FDC F1 Rookie

Oct 4, 2002
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Byron
    Brendan,
    Normally I would love to get involved, however I have some other personal commitments for that weekend.

Good luck with the event!

Byron

5. Erich

Erich Formula 3

Sep 9, 2003
    Poway CA
    Full Name:
    Erich Coiner
    I'll have my Sunbeam Tiger in the Corral.
    You can find me in the pits of my friends car. Shelby GT350 #222

Erich

6. Thatsmytoy

Thatsmytoy Karting

Nov 5, 2003
    San Diego, CA
    Full Name:
    Bill
    I'm taking my 550.

7. g60racer

g60racer Karting

Mar 2, 2004
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Brendan Prout
    That's more like it!

Details, insomuch as I have them here:

Someone from Ferrarichat or the FOC will need to step up to be the organizer and contact for the Speed Festival to set up the display for Ferraris, if no one is already doing it. I can provide the contact info for them, but as I'm already organizing several clubs I cannot take on another.

Well, certain car clubs like the Ferrari Club , Vette Club and the Porsche Club are invited to show their cars as an organized group in a special presentation area.

Event will be happening October 9th and 10th. We're welcome to show off as a group both days, but I'd like the big turnout to be on Saturday the 9th. Those who can be there both days, great! I'll be there too and we'll have a great time!

You will need a Parking Corral pass to get into the VIP areas and the exhibition area. You do get in+out privileges with the special parking area, so you can leave anytime and come back. Passes are FREE for the special parking area. You will *still* need to buy tickets for admission to the race event to be admitted, tix run $25 for the weekend or $15 for one day and you can get them at http://www.pacificlifeholidaybowl.com or at http://www.ticketmaster.com

There is a caravan of european cars leaving from Tierrasanta the morning of the event to head down to Coronado, and everyone here is welcome to participate in that drive. We'll be leaving from the parking lot of Canyon View Christian Fellowship: From the 15, exit at Balboa/Tierrasanta Blvd and head east. Through two lights, then right into the parking lot behind Jack in the Box. Address is 10791 Tierrasanta Blvd, church is Canyon View Christian Fellowship. Meeting time is 6am, Saturday October 9th!!!

For the caravan, FRS radios are encouraged of course. We'll be on channel 3sub2. Take my cell phone # with you in case you're delayed, it's 619-417-3872.

I will pass out the special exhibition parking passes that morning for the clubs under my care, which allow you in+out access to the show. Whoever organizes it for the F-cars, it's up to them when they want to distribute the passes, organizers will have them a few weeks in advance.

(Yes, you can bail for food and we save your parking spot for you!) If you can't come til later, just hit me on my cell phone and I *may* be able to meet you at the entrance to the exhibition area. Then again, I'll be wandering the pits amongst the Ferrari V12's, so I might not be able to hear it ring. Best idea is to be on time!

I will be bringing a couple of nice shady pavilion tents, bring your own folding chairs and lots of sunscreen for wandering the grandstands and pits!! Oh and a towel to sop up all your drool when you see what kind of cars are parked all around us.

8. Sting

Sting Karting

Mar 2, 2004
    Full Name:
    Edmund Maino
    I would love to go with you guys but I think that the BMW CCA already has a spot in the corral. I would look kinda strange with all these Red Ferrari's driving in followed by the fool in the Estroil Blue M3!!!

9. alberto

alberto Formula 3

Aug 25, 2001
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    The FOC has hosted a tent in the car corral area during Coronado at least the last two years. They are already taking entries. The organizers are Jim Hyldahl and James Rodriguez from the San Diego chapter. Look at the latest PILOTA issue and their names and numbers are there. They usually have a decent sized tent, water, snacks, etc. and plenty of parking. I'd say about 20 or 30 cars show up (maybe more, I've never counted) on each of the two weekend days.

My wife and I have taken our car there the last two years and will be there this year. We think the event is great and it is one of the more reasonably priced events of the FOC.

10. VROOM!!!

VROOM!!! Formula 3

Feb 11, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Armen
    October 10 is my birthday. I would love to go but i odnt think i would be able to.

11. g60racer

g60racer Karting

Mar 2, 2004
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Brendan Prout

Perfect. I *knew* there had to be someone from the FOC on top of it, but I was rather surprised that no one had posted any info on it here yet... good then.

btw... Anyone with an Audi or VW is welcome to participate too, the clubs I am organizing to show are the Corrado Club, R32 club, and VWvortex.

12. ponyup360

ponyup360 Rookie

Feb 15, 2004
    Huntington BEach, Ca
    Full Name:
    Jerry Lotter
    I am definately going. Spoke with James Rodriquez at Concorso and he has it all dialed in. I shold have the full interior Carbon fiber kit and Novitec front and rear spoilers. Oh yeah, I am not putting on a wing! LOL Kenny

13. Nationaltec

Nationaltec Karting

Dec 22, 2003
    North County
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    It was that same event last year when I got some valuable insight from the FOC members that participated... two months later I purchased my 328GTS..

To those who havent attended, It's quite an event... My son did think the cars were a little loud sometimes, so I might suggest some ear-plugs for younger children... Other than that, it was awesome..

As a vette lover, I must say that had the most incredible concept car (300 Hemi CS ) that looked exactly like a convertible four seater vette.. Awesome looking!! I hope it's back again!

Patrick
    FOC member