360 can variators- tension belt pulley | FerrariChat

360 can variators- tension belt pulley

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by vanny, Aug 20, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. vanny

vanny Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    buffalo ny
    Full Name:
    van molenberg
    i know there has been a great deal of discussion on this -i took my 360f1 yr. 2000-it will be 4yrs old. this oct. had the belts replaced-the dealership replaced the variators and the tension belt pulley -no cost to me -i told him to replace the the tensioner bearings. that was a cost to me -they called yesterday - they did not have to change the bearings -they were in perfect shape-saved some money.also my vin. no. did not fall into what has been posted on the board . can't remember my eng. no. though.just an fyi van

2. PCH

PCH F1 Rookie

Apr 7, 2004
    Was this done under warranty? What dealership did the service?

3. 4i2fly

4i2fly Formula 3

Apr 16, 2004
    SF, Bay Area
    Mine is out of warranty since May and FoSF has taken the car in to perform the service. YOu do have to do it in conjunction with the timing belt service. Or if you have replaced the belts in the last two years or 20000 miles they will do it for free.

The first FNA's TSB came out in April of 2001 and discussed the redesign of the cam variators and provided the engine serial number. The redesign of the variator shaft was to eliminate the fracture of the variator shaft. Check your owners manual (I think the warranty section) and see if your engine serial number is greater than 60796. My 360 is an October 2000 production and falls into the vin range and engine serial number. There are more than 1500 serial numbers affrected after mine. Also, apparently Ferrari modified the variators again later but did not change the part number (this could be due to mfg. process or material used to make the variators). The new part was designated with green dot on top of it. The following is directly from the TSB:

"Timing variators produced from December 2002 to November 2003, must NOT be used, unless they have a green dot. Each variator shows a code identifying its production date."

4. PCH

PCH F1 Rookie

Apr 7, 2004

5. 4i2fly

4i2fly Formula 3

Apr 16, 2004
    SF, Bay Area
    Actually if you go through this link: http://ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=24509
    all is expalined well. There is a new TSB from FNA that came out in July 2004. It also includes cars that have had the timing belt serviced in the last two years or 20,000 miles. There is absolutely no charge to you for the variators and tensioner replacement since you have had your timing belt service already.

6. PCH

PCH F1 Rookie

Apr 7, 2004
    I had Ferrari Beverly Hills perform the cam timing variator update this week and just wanted to express my gratitude to Eric for making everything so easy. Eric is definitely a TRUE enthusiast and always a pleasure to work with.