First day I quit smoking! | FerrariChat

First day I quit smoking!

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by PeterS, Aug 21, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. PeterS

PeterS Four Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2003
    Goodyear, AZ
    Full Name:
    PeterS
    I got up today and had my coffee and the AM smoke or two (OK....Six or seven). I just took a shower and threw a Nic patch on. I think I can REALLY do this without killing somebody in the next 72 hours.

Please wish me luck and post a few words of encouragement!

Peter

2. Forza1

Forza1 Formula Junior

Mar 20, 2004
    California
    I guess I can't imagine why it would be hard for someone to quite smoking. I suppose this is because there is no tangible thing, but rather a mental addiction. What's your daily average?

-D

3. coolestkidever

coolestkidever F1 Veteran

Feb 28, 2004
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    good luck with that, pick up a new hobby to get ur mind off of them. something like skydiving

4. Craigger

Craigger Rookie

Jan 2, 2004
    I dont own a ferrari, but I have a BMW 635 csi that I drive when im really nervous or somthing that I need to get my mind off of etc. Go for a drive every time you feel you need to get away. you cant smoke in your ferrari can ya!?

Just do that, spend the money from the cig's towards the gas. im sure you will find it better

5. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    Pete,

I quit cold turkey over 12 years ago. I used the patch. I was a 2 pack/day Marlboro Red smoker. If it was 9:00PM and I only had 1/2 a pack, I'd go to the store. I even smoked IN THE SHOWER! What I did, to make it a little easier, was switch to Merit Ultra Lights for a few months prior to quitting to lower the nicotine intake. After a while even Carltons taste strong.

Here's the trick (at least for me). The urge to smoke lasts about 3 minutes and then just goes away. The thing is when you smoke regularly, the urge comes every 5 minutes. The longer you go without smoking, the less frequent the urge. Now, I get a strong urge to smoke about once every 4 months.

All you really have to do is ride it out.

Good luck!

DL

6. Z0RR0

Z0RR0 F1 Rookie

Apr 11, 2004
    Montreal, Canada
    Full Name:
    Julien
    I fail to understand how one would actually stop if he's couting the days he hasn't smoked.
    Anyways ... great decision. Keep it up.

7. coolestkidever

coolestkidever F1 Veteran

Feb 28, 2004
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    Hey you were supporting Ferrari so it wasnt that bad

8. Fan512bbi

Fan512bbi Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2004
    Wales-UK
    Full Name:
    Steve.
    I will be watching your'e progress with great interest, i myself am seriously thinking of giving it up, at present i smoke between 40-60 a day, how are you going to do it ? any help?, please keep us updated on how you find it, how long have you been smoking, how many?

9. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Quitters never win and winners never quit...! :D

Seriously Peter, good luck... i hope you can do it... Just remember, DO NOT substitute candy or junk food or any other crap in place of the cigarettes... If you REALLY want to quit, then you'll have no problem... It's all in your mind... If you've been smoking for a LONG time, go get a straw or something cigarette-shaped and pop that in your mouth all day... It'll keep you from eating to avoid smoking and it'll help with the oral fixation/physical addiction that comes with smoking...

Good luck, buddy...

10. Ike

Ike F1 Rookie

Nov 4, 2003
    Good Luck, I've seen several friends quit over and over. What has worked for some is switching to a pure cigarette, like Nat Sherman or American spirit to get off of the extra chemicals in most comercial cigs. Then start cutting back on them until they were off totally.

11. Jdubbya

Jdubbya The $10 Trillion Man
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    I tried the patch and sorry to say I didn't find it helped much. The next time I tried quitting I used Zyban. Worked great but best of all I wasn't a total monster like I had been during previous attempts.

To this day it's still tough and it's been over two years for me. Every once in a while it just drives me crazy!

Best of luck to you and don't let that one bad day (cause you are bound to have one!) set you back into the pattern again!!

12. JOEV

JOEV F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 6, 2003
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Joe

Good luck Peter. What worked for me (apart from realizing the stupidity of having to go outside in an Ontario blizzard for my fix) was Nicorette. Whenever you feel the urge, start chewing - it really takes the edge off. Even if you fall off the wagon, don't throw in the towel - just start again. You can do it.

Darf - you smoked in the shower? That is beyond hardcore!!!

13. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    #13 wax, Aug 21, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  14. Jordan Ross

Jordan Ross Formula Junior

Nov 4, 2003
    Austin
    Do it the Dao way:
    Its easier to not do something than do it, right?
    Then dont "stop smoking," just dont smoke.

Easier said than done, but its worth it. My dad quit 17 years ago (my fault, being born) and he has almost regained his sense of smell!

15. darth550

Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    Actually, back then, it was for the Penske Cart cars and Emmo! :D

DL

16. UroTrash

UroTrash Three Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    That is the best gift you can ever give yourself or your family, I wish you great luck and great will power.

On a lighter note:

I have a friend who is a Urologist that saves all the foreskins he removes and processes them into a patch for homosexuals that want to quit... He calls it..... "Dicorette".

17. darth550

Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    And where should they stick it?.......Forget it...I don't want to know!

But those would make a great "Gag" gift! ...I STILL don't want to know!

DL

18. PeterS

Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2003
    Goodyear, AZ
    Full Name:
    PeterS
    Day one:

I had one yesterday (two that I smoked half way). Yesterday evening, I ran up the stairs at my house and noticed I was not as winded as usual. That was interesting! Without all the nic in my bloodstream, I hit the pillow last night and fell asleep faster than I have in years.

I want one now with my coffee, but I will hold off, take a shower and throw on a patch. Darth's comment was good that I need to understand that the urges last a few minutes. I carried a bottled water with me yesterday and that helped take the edge off when a craving popped up!

19. RyanZX6R

RyanZX6R Formula Junior

Nov 4, 2003
    Riverside County
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    Keep it up. Don't feel guilty if you stumble and have one. That guilt can make you feel like giving up. Quitting smoking is going to be one of the hardest things you do, so having one when you used to smoke a whole lot more is not so bad.

20. Fan512bbi

BANNED

Mar 25, 2004
    Wales-UK
    Full Name:
    Steve.
    So you noticed the difference within 24hrs, that is insentive to carry on, does your'e wife/partner smoke?

21. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Good luck Peter!

22. PeterS

Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2003
    Goodyear, AZ
    Full Name:
    PeterS
    Melodie does smoke. I think she may be able to quit if I do. She actually pi$$ed me off over the last two months. She went from 124 to 108 pounds (she is 5'5") in support of my carb-cutting binge. In the same time, I went from 205 to 215! So I quit drinking scotch!

Ryan...I don't call it a Stumble, I call it 'In Training / Aclimation Period'! I never thought that I could go a day and have 1-2 smokes.

23. Fan512bbi

BANNED

Mar 25, 2004
    Wales-UK
    Full Name:
    Steve.
    My wife Collette give it up 2 years ago, and the nagging hasent stopped about me giving up, my main problem is that i like a drink also, weekends to me are for unwinding getting drunk with friends and doing what the hell you like, this is where i think i will have a problem, how will you cope while out with friends and having a drink?

Congratulations on day 1.

24. Fan512bbi

BANNED

Mar 25, 2004
    Wales-UK
    Full Name:
    Steve.
    So how is it going on day 3?

25. PeterS

Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2003
    Goodyear, AZ
    Full Name:
    PeterS
    Day3:

Me: 4 smokes total (All days)
    Killed: None!
    Feeling: Pretty damn good about the process!