the best timing belts? | FerrariChat

the best timing belts?

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by corse driver, Aug 21, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. corse driver

corse driver Rookie

Aug 19, 2004
    Is there a company out there that has better timing belts for a 2v injected 308 than others?

2. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall

Just use the ones that say Ferrari on them. They are not expensive, they have a warranty so you do have recourse in the event of a failure, you know they are the right ones, and it will give you peace of mind.

3. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    Oh really???????? Now how do you get them to honor the warranty, at the end of a barrel? Hahahaaaaaa.

4. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Critical distinction by brand for the 308 timing belts really hasn't come up here as a topic before (we just like to b*tch about the whole belt thing in general ;)). Are you having a specific brand-related problem, or do you have a choice that needs to be made?

I'm having a flashback that Dayco and Pirelli are two possible stock brands, but I just used whatever the supplier (e.g., Rutlands, Partsource) sent. Does anyone know which brands are presently most common for 308 timing belts?

5. 308GTS

308GTS Formula 3

Dec 27, 2001
    TN
    I have order 4 sets of T-belts from Rutlands. 3 were TRW and 1 set was Dayco. I prefer Dayco.

6. davey_jones

davey_jones Formula Junior

Sep 28, 2002
    wherever it's sunny
    Full Name:
    Dave

Actually, that's not a bad question... Who would foot the bill if an "engine out" was done with new belts and it snaps 3,000 miles later? Dealer? Belt mnfr?

dave

7. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall

If it is a genuine Ferrari part purchased at a Ferrari dealer it carries a part warranty. I have seen cases where those conditions were satisfied, it could not be shown that is was not an installation problem or external damage and Ferrari paid a substantial portion of the bill for the damage. Use belts that say Ferrari on them.

P.S. The last one I saw was installed by an independant shop.

8. Tifoso1

Tifoso1 F1 Rookie

Nov 18, 2003
    Pacific NW
    Full Name:
    Anthony C.
    Great information to have on hand. Thanks.

9. davey_jones

davey_jones Formula Junior

Sep 28, 2002
    wherever it's sunny
    Full Name:
    Dave
    So another reason to keep all receipts and documentation!!!!!