Hard hot start diagnosis 348/Mondial t | FerrariChat

Hard hot start diagnosis 348/Mondial t

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Michael B, Aug 22, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Michael B

Michael B F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 28, 2004
    US of A
    Full Name:
    Michael
    I have read all the "repack your flywheel" post's.

I wanted to give the list another example of what could be an issue on the 3.4 engine from 1989 - onward etc.

I had a pal with a 348 call me for some advise on the hard hot start. We spoke about the flywheel repack but then I had him stop by for a visual.

After looking & listening - and starting the car with the foot on the gas pedal - I took a look at the fuel regulators.

Guess what... He had a bad fuel reg on one bank that was sending fuel to his intake. I had seen it before (about 6 months ago) on another F-car. We unplugged the vacuum line from the reg, and the car started perfectly hot & cold (and ran smoother).

Replaced the regulator & all has been well.

This may have been coverd in the past (I know I have mentioned it here before) so I am sorry if this is old news to some.

Just keep this easy fix in mind.

2. 348uk

348uk Karting

Feb 1, 2004
    UK
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Hi Michael,

I have a hot start problem with my 348 and had put it down to the packing of the flywheel, but as yet have not had the chance to fully read up on the procedure to rectify it or had the time to tackle it.

I'll give this a try I think just in case. Could you please give me more info on what to do here.

Many thanks

3. Michael B

Michael B F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 28, 2004
    US of A
    Full Name:
    Michael
    No problem,

The fuel regulators are located at the front of the engine. Both regulators have vacuum lines that run from the regulator to the intake and of course they have large fuel lines running to them. If you pull the small vacuum line and find fuel vapor or actual fuel in the line you have a faulty reg.

If you dont think there is any fuel in the line visually but your not sure, then try this test as it is simple.

Pull the vacuum lines off of the intake nipples and plug the nipples. Then fire up the engine & see if there is any change in the start up or if any fuel will flow from the regulator vacuum line. I have found two so far that have bled fuel out the regulator vacuum line while running.

Easy to test, worth the time.