Wheelspin | FerrariChat

Wheelspin

Discussion in 'Detailing & Showroom' started by Serpent Driver, Aug 22, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Serpent Driver

Serpent Driver Formula Junior

Jul 4, 2004
    Norway
    Can those of you who owns a Ferrari please post some pics of your Ferrari(s) with smoking tires? That would be so cool :)

2. GrahamS

GrahamS F1 Veteran
    BANNED

May 29, 2004
    24 hours from Tulsa
    Full Name:
    Grandmaster G
    I will if you send me the money for some new tyres :)

3. Serpent Driver

Jul 4, 2004
    Norway
    You don't need to burn them out, until theres nothing left. Just do a wheelspin, and make someone take a cool picture! It's so cool too see the smoke coming from behind the Ferrari, and the long black lines on the ground! :)

4. damcgee

damcgee Formula 3

Feb 23, 2003
    Mobile, AL
    I'm not trying to be elitist, but I think you will have better luck posting this request somewhere like zo6vette.com or svtperformance.com

By all means, any remotely modern Ferrari (and probably any Ferrari, for that matter) is perfectly capable of smoking it's tires. But there are a number of reasons it is not desirable:

1. They're not made for it. Mustangs and Vettes are DESIGNED for drop clutch launches. I remember reading a quote in Autoweek by John Coletti (head of SVT) saying that in the durablility testing for the SVT Cobra (the new SC one), they took it to a drag strip and did launches to see how many it could take before something broke. According to him, they stopped trying after 500 consecutive launches.

2. Because they're not made to do big smoky burnouts, it is more likely that something will go wrong. And when it does, it's MUCH more expensive to fix than a Mustang. A clutch for a lambo, for instance, is around $6-8 grand.

3. Ferrari owners have usually worked their way up through other sports cars, and have had their fill of smoky burnouts.

I hope someone posts a pic, but I doubt it will happen :) Good luck :)

5. 0UTXLR8

0UTXLR8 Formula Junior

Apr 12, 2004
    Full Name:
    Josh
    I had a video of a guy doing a couple donuts in his black Testarossa. It's not something I would do, but I guess it is his choice.

6. luke9583

luke9583 Formula 3

Nov 8, 2003
    Detroit Michigan
    Full Name:
    Luke Wells
    There's a video of some guy in iraq disgustifying a red 355 spyder somewhere. I don't even think it had a front clip on it.

7. patpong

patpong Formula 3

Jul 6, 2004
    Bangkok, Thailand
    Full Name:
    Patpong Thanavisuth
    We, Ferrari owners, sound boring to you Ha. I have owned a Ferrari and Lotus for 10 years and drive them hard to its max. But never once I intendedly smoking tires. It just never interest me or I just never thought about it. It just not fun, I guess. sorry

8. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    Wow he is man with balls of steel. The TR's differential are a weak point and burnouts/donuts make them very prone to breaking.

9. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Somewhere there is a video of a test driver at Firona (sp?, but Ferraris test track) showing that yes indeed Ferraris (in this case a 456) can almost cover the car in smoke.

He eventually stuffs the car through this abuse and much, much worse ... but that is what he is paid for.

Find that video ... 'cause while I like a wheelspin like any person, you won't see me covering any off my cars in tyre smoke, that is for idiots. Once they are spinning, intelligent people lift and restore traction and win the RACE!

Pete

10. Bertus

Bertus Formula 3

Mar 1, 2004
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Bert S
    It was a Top Gear episode on Ferrari.
    You might find it here
    http://www.forocoches.com/foro/showthread.php?t=101000

You can also find it here
    http://www.ferrariparts.tk/
    Click on 'Other movies' and then 'A 456 driven to destruction'

11. mk e

mk e F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    The twilight zone
    Full Name:
    The Butcher
    Yes, ferraris are not built to do burnouts, they are built mainly to attend luncheons I believe…...

I don’t have any pics, but I’ve been meaning to get a few anyway, I’ll try to post something in the next week or 2, so keep an eye out. And believe me, at over 500 hp my baby will make smoke….right through 3rd gear.

12. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    :D :D ... yes but the difference is that you did not make your 'baby' produce 500 hp to do burn outs.

There are many red neck competitions in Australia for best burn out, etc. ... WTF????? ... who gives a fnck.

Thus unless you are showing off and ego is having a weak moment, you will be controlling the power via your right foot to maximise traction not to increase the amount of tyre smoke.

What I mean is 'Amount of tyre smoke' does NOT equate whatsoever to performance of vehicle, or even hp of vehicle.

Pete
    ps: I used to be able to hide the back of my family Nissan Bluebird in tyre smoke and if that thing produced 100hp I'd be amazed ... but the kids loved the laugh ;)

13. Skindiver

Skindiver Karting

Apr 22, 2004
    JHB SA.
    Full Name:
    Greg
    I Had a De Tomaso Pantera. I refused to drive it in the rain because the slightest touch on the accelerator could spin you around 180 Degrees.. But in the dry you could rev it up to 6000 rpm drop the clutch and it woudnt even chirp the tyres. The slip diff just ate up all the extra revs and you flew off the line.
    Pity as the tyres, Pirelli P Zero 345 x 45 x 15 gave only 5000 Km anyhow. and when they were tired, it would have been fun to light them up.

I would never try smoke my ferrari's tyres. 255 x 35 X 18, expensive and scared of breaking something. Its a ferrari besides. Like a previous writer said .. by now it should be out of your system.

Skin.

14. Serpent Driver

Jul 4, 2004
    Norway
    I don't mean that you have to do big smokey burnouts. Just a cool, racestart, so the tires spin a bit and some smoke can be seen. Like in the Ferrari 575M Maranello movie witch you can download from Ferrari.com. I mean like that. But ofcourse, if you are too afraid, leave it.

15. Malfark

Malfark F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2002
    Mud Island, Europe
    Full Name:
    Markem
    I have a couple of pics of Alex doing donuts in his Testarossa at the Euro Rallye in Andermatt (Switzerland) over the weekend. WIll post them is due course! :D

Cheers, MARK

16. Brupikk

Brupikk Rookie

Aug 13, 2004
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

HOW CAN I POST THE PHOTOS DIRECTLY INSTEAD OF THEIR LINKS???

17. bludevil12

bludevil12 Formula 3
    Lifetime Rossa

May 12, 2004
    Northern VA
    Full Name:
    David L.
    I dont think you can post those pics because they are bitmaps, unless you could convert them to JPEGS...Im not sure?

18. Brupikk

Brupikk Rookie

Aug 13, 2004
    THEY ARE JPG's

19. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Rob does not allow us to link images to another site. Thus you have to upload them into this site.

The reason he does this is he wants the pictures to stay viewable permanently, ie. if the other site you link to decides to delete the pictures then we will no longer be able to see them on this site.

Rob is trying to make an archive of Ferrari information ... not just a chat site.

Hope that helps.
    Pete

20. bludevil12

bludevil12 Formula 3
    Lifetime Rossa

May 12, 2004
    Northern VA
    Full Name:
    David L.
    I dunno about you but when i try to right click and save as, the only type of file I can save them as is bitmap...and you cant post bitmaps on fchat.

21. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    buy a 70 to 72 trans am or Z28 with a 4 speed if you want tire smoke. Ferraris are not built for this. my 308 's syncros are in bad enough shape as it is.

22. mk e

mk e F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    The twilight zone
    Full Name:
    The Butcher
    ok, you're right, it's about weak moments and ego, but every now and then it is really is fun to see the look on the face of the kid who rolls along side you on the highway and revs his engine when you drop it in 3rd and hammer it, lighting up the tires and leaving 12" wide (ok 11.2" wide) black streaks as you walk (well run might be more accurate) away from him.

23. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Sounds like fun ... and yes the hoon in me understands ;)

Pete

24. trevi

trevi F1 Rookie
    Owner

May 19, 2003
    Switzerland