TR........throttle cable too short!!!!! | FerrariChat

TR........throttle cable too short!!!!!

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by henryk, Aug 17, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. henryk

henryk Formula Junior

Dec 9, 2003
    Door County, WI
    After doing the major on my 88TR, I can't seem to get back the length, of the throttle cable, to re-install it to the throttle linkage. It is about 3-4 inches too short!!!!!!

When I removed the engine, I disconnected the cable, at the engine, and just let it hang. I did nothing to the pedal end.

It seems that it must be hung up, at the pedal end, since, I see no problem with the cable, as it comes out the body, near the fuel pumps.

Must I remove the console, in order to get at the pedal end. If so, how do I go about this?

Thanks

2. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    Hey Henry,

Have you looked to see that you have it routed the right way? You may have it going around something the wrong way. Also as you have said, check the back of the throttle peddle. I bet it is just hung up on something.

3. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    It fit before and it doesn't now, it almost has to be routed wrong. It should be routed straight from the hole in the floor to the motor through both cable guides mounted to the left belt cover (make sure they are mounted in the correct positions) under the alt belt, close to the belt cover, straight to the recepticle in the aluminum casting, with the metal end all the way seated in it, then straight to the throttle linkage.

4. henryk

henryk Formula Junior

Dec 9, 2003
    Door County, WI
    The routing was correct. When I removed the console portion, to expose the attachement of the cable, to the pedal, I noticed a loop in the wire.

Apparently, I must have pulled on the sheating, when the engine was out. This pulled the sheathing away from the pedal connection. When I pushed the sheating back, both it and the cable, went back........thus producing a loop in the cable. I pushed the cable into the sheating, at the pedal end, and moved the sheathing to where it is supposed to be, and got my throttle cable end length...........as needed.

I did pulll on the throttle cable, at the engine end, but it just wouldn't come out. I didn't want to pull too hard.