How NOT to change your oil...... | FerrariChat

How NOT to change your oil......

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by Agent Smith, Aug 21, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Agent Smith

Agent Smith Formula 3

Apr 20, 2002
  2. DrStranglove

DrStranglove FChat Assassin
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Google Maps
    Full Name:
    DrS
    Good god
    !!!!!!!!

3. DrStranglove

DrStranglove FChat Assassin
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Google Maps
    Full Name:
    DrS
    A quote from the mod at that forum...

4. Agent Smith

Agent Smith Formula 3

Apr 20, 2002
    It's unreal isn't it??? I've been laughing all morning :)

5. PeterS

PeterS Four Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2003
    Goodyear, AZ
    Full Name:
    PeterS
    WOW! Just when I thought MY oil change story could not be beat!

6. coachi

coachi Formula 3

May 1, 2002
    SC USA
    I have a story to tell. A dozen or so years ago, I had a charcoal grey 308 GTSi that I sold to this guy from Detroit (?) and he was flying down to get his car and drive it home. Despite the fact that I had just changed the oil, filter etc...he insisted that I have that done again at a garage, with documentation. So I stopped at the local Mercedes Benz dealer and he had one of his mechanics change the oil for me. I proceeded to the airport, picked up the gentleman, drove back some 60 miles south, signed the paper, got my money; he got in his car and drove off.

The next morning I get a call from him, that he was back home, hundreds of miles away, but that he had serious trouble and could shift gears for the last couple of hours...and when he looked in the engine bay there was oil all over. After quite a bit of thought I realized what had happened...the mercedes mechanic had taken the gear oil out...and left it practically dry, while overfilling the engine oil sump. One thing the mechanic had said to me finally made sense..he said that the engine's oil capacity is not more than 8 quarts...that the manual was wrong. The car had 20 quarts of oil in it, and no gear oil.

The new owner sued the mechanic and sued me as well...and the mercedes dearlership's defense was that I told the mechanic were to drain the oil !!!!

The judge ruled against the dealer..and I had to pay the new owner a couple of thousand dollars to make him happy, on top of the 18 grand from the mercedes insurance agent. He had replaced the engine, the transmission, and had the car detailed as he was going to sell the car himself to make a quick buck.

Has anyone had some dumb mechanic not know the difference between Olio Cambio and Olio Motori?

7. maranelloman

maranelloman Guest

#7 maranelloman, Aug 22, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  8. coachi

coachi Formula 3

May 1, 2002
    SC USA
    but what workhorse that 308 had to have been...he drove it for 10 hours or more with an oil sumpo with 20 quarts of oil, and NO gear oil. Great transmission, if you ask me!!!!

9. PeterS

PeterS Four Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2003
    Goodyear, AZ
    Full Name:
    PeterS
    THAT is SO Redneck stupid I can't believe it!

10. Schatten

Schatten F1 World Champ
    Owner

Apr 3, 2001
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Randy
    That guy is pretty real. I wish I could locate the forum he's on at the moment. He's the kind of guy who retreads his truck tires with drills and saws. While it might be redneck style, he's quite creative and knoweldgeable in what he does.

11. MarkG

MarkG Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    Colorado Springs
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Common problem with Porsche 911s too.....it has 2 drain plugs, unfamiliar mechanics find the engine drain plug but miss the dry sump drain plug; in goes 9-10 qts oil ....