New Ford Supercar----------------------------- | FerrariChat

New Ford Supercar-----------------------------

Discussion in 'American Muscle' started by tonyh, Aug 20, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tonyh

tonyh F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 23, 2002
    S W London
    Full Name:
    Tony H
  2. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    I would prefer an open intake in the front rather than those little splitters or wings or whatever.

3. theboogers

theboogers Rookie

Nov 14, 2003
    maryland
    Full Name:
    steve hannon
    there is more info and pictures in this week's autoweek mag. i like this better than the new cobra idea. great lines.

4. theboogers

theboogers Rookie

Nov 14, 2003
    maryland
    Full Name:
    steve hannon
    there is more info and pictures in this week's autoweek mag. i like this better than the new cobra idea. great lines.

5. writerguy

writerguy F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2003
    NewRotic
    Full Name:
    Otto
    #5 writerguy, Aug 20, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  6. scycle2020

scycle2020 F1 Rookie

Jan 26, 2004
    potomac
    ford loves to hype cars before they are even close to being available...so where is the ford gt...they cant even get the bugs out of that!!!meanwhile, everone is hyping the gt because the preproductioin cars, all three of them, had very fast track times....at least lambo and ferrari dont do this...when they release a car, they release the production car...they dont need to create hype..heck , my 4 cylinder toyota camary can beat anyones ford gt today!!!!because the ford gt doesnt exist yet!!!!

7. bostonmini

bostonmini Formula 3

Nov 8, 2003
    Hate it. Looks like a 350Z on crack. IN contrast, I liked the shelby concept.

8. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    looks like a 1960's hotwheels toy but i still like it. seems to have front mid engine layout like 612 (which i think is ugly) but carries it much better imo.

9. 6.0 se

6.0 se F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 26, 2004
    Atlanta,ga. area
    Full Name:
    A.J.
    Tony, off the subject, but I love your avatars. The hot brunette was my fav!!

Oh, and I like the car, but scycle's right, they need to put up or shut up.

10. Paul Vincent

Paul Vincent Formula Junior

Apr 3, 2004
    scycle2020, I found this on a Viper site. Perhaps it will give you pause to reconsider the Ford GT:

I just spent a whole lotta time in the Ford GT, and it's truly on it's own planet in the sports car world. It's so smooth, has so much grip, piles on such never ending power, and is so well designed it can't be compared to anything sub 250k IMO. A passenger that just spent some time in a 300k Ferrari 360 Challenge Stradale said the power and grip of that car was a joke comparatively. The car is put together like a rock compared to any other American sports cars I've been(Viper, Vette) and the f&f is worlds apart from either of those cars. The seats are fantastic, the controls and layout are excellent, the shifter is precise and smooth, and the pedals are placed very well.

I obviously didn't head to head my Z06 that runs low 11's in the mid to upper 120's, but it'd be a fair assessment IMO that they'd produce comparable #'s. Except that the GT can do things on turns no car I've ever been in can. The steering is amazing direct and linear. It's like an F1 car compared to the Z06. Talk about stability up near the limits. It's got grip until you can't believe what the car is doing, and then it produces even more. And once the car gets going, there is absolutely NO stopping it. It's like it's actually getting quicker the faster you go. If I were a betting man, I'd say it'd make it to 200mph in a tick over 30 seconds.

I'm in no way talking down the Viper, but get some seat time in a GT, and you'll realize that you pay that $139,995 for a reason... It's not rampant american jingoism when I say the Ford GT is probably the most amazing car you can buy in the world today(and IMO the greatest American ever built).

11. GhostRider

GhostRider Formula Junior

Dec 20, 2002
    Tulsa, OK
    Full Name:
    Matt
    Dude, what timeframe are you living in? The Ford GT is real. It's in production. It's being sold. It's on the street. Wake up.

12. Ilya

Ilya Karting

Jul 14, 2004
    Socal
    Full Name:
    Ilya
    300K 360CS??

13. 6.0 se

6.0 se F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 26, 2004
    Atlanta,ga. area
    Full Name:
    A.J.
    I think they are producing 3 a week. I wouldnt call that on the street. The list of 50 VIP's dont even have all their cars yet. Called 36 dealers, no delivery yet, and no idea of when.

14. GhostRider

Dec 20, 2002
    Tulsa, OK
    Full Name:
    Matt
    Hu? You need a highetened production schedule before you will admit it's out? I don't care how many "VIPs" don't have their cars yet. Jay Leno got his. So did a Microsoft exec:

http://autos.msn.com/advice/article.aspx?contentid=4022580&src=msn&GT1=4553

15. 6.0 se

6.0 se F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 26, 2004
    Atlanta,ga. area
    Full Name:
    A.J.
    Oh well then. Jay Leno and a microsoft guy got his. lol. That doesnt sound mainstream to me, or on the street. The cars were supposed to be in showrooms no later than 7/1. I dont think Jay or the microsoft guy will sell me their car. I will admit its out when I see one at a dealer. I mean, Ford has already missed 3 "in showroom dates". We will see.

16. iceburns288

iceburns288 Formula 3

Jun 19, 2004
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Charles M.
    I don't think Leno got his yet... I just heard it was on the way. Either that, or it's flipped around, where Leno got his and the other guy's is coming.

1! We need to start a GT count.

I also liked the Cobra more than this, but the Cobra got cancelled (great decision Ford...) even with its 600hp V-10 :(

17. GhostRider

Dec 20, 2002
    Tulsa, OK
    Full Name:
    Matt
    It's a low production car, not even as common as a new Lambo.

I've been hearing August was the month since this past spring, so looks like they made it at least in that time. I don't really care, as long as it comes out, which it has.

Neither would I.

Haha, whatever...

18. 6.0 se

6.0 se F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 26, 2004
    Atlanta,ga. area
    Full Name:
    A.J.
    What are you talking about?? Get your facts man. Do you know what the 2 year production is for the Ford GT? Ford just put out the press release, 4200 cars in 2 years. lol. 10 years of Diablos , total production-2400 cars. Murcielago, total production- 400 per year. Where do you get your info?

1st production date for ON SHOWROOM FLOOR- 7/1
    2nd 8/1
    3rd 9/1

What is on the street to you?? In Jay Leno's garage? Funny stuff.

I made a mistake. The production is 4500 for 2 years.

"With the first Ford GTs being delivered to customers this month, Ford is already looking ahead to a possible replacement when the last of the 4500 GTs is completed in 2006. " From the above news link.

I just added up all the Diablos EVER produced, and the Murci's for 3 years, and the Gallardo's, total give or take a few- 4450. hmmmm

19. GhostRider

Dec 20, 2002
    Tulsa, OK
    Full Name:
    Matt
    I said "a new Lambo". If I remember correctly, Lamborghini sold about 1300 Murcielago's and Gallardo's last year, their highest sales ever. So you've already got what, say 2000 new Lambo models on the road right now, versus a handful of Ford GT's? Pretty simple math to me.

What do I consider "on the street"? When a car is being paid for, and driven home by customers. That's happening. I don't think there are hundreds of GT's running around now, deliveries just started, but I'm also smart enough to realize people like Leno are going make the news, the average buyer won't.

20. 6.0 se

6.0 se F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 26, 2004
    Atlanta,ga. area
    Full Name:
    A.J.
    They are not at dealers yet, in the USA. Dealers are taking deposits. The list of 50 are getting their cars one at a time. That should be completed by end of Aug. Dont get me wrong, I love the car. I want one, reasonably priced. Ford has left a bad taste to many with missed deadlines, and now chassis problems. Im just really ticked because this was important, and they screwed it. Thats all.

21. scycle2020

scycle2020 F1 Rookie

Jan 26, 2004
    potomac
    any car is rare before they have been sent to any dealers!!!!! duhhh!!!! hey the c6 corvette is a rare car using this backward logic..i havent seen any on the road!!! hey i havent seen any 05 camarys either... they are more rare than lambos.. in two years, there will be 4500 gts on the road, more than the total production of all the diablos and murcis for the past 13 years!!!!simple math.... dont argue with aj.... he is rarely wrong!!!!

22. racerx

racerx Guest

Nov 23, 2003
    what petty little children. play nice.
    T

23. 6.0 se

6.0 se F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 26, 2004
    Atlanta,ga. area
    Full Name:
    A.J.

Thanks. Who are you referring to? Its just a discussion about cars, really no biggie..

24. racerx

racerx Guest

Nov 23, 2003
    I caught this thread this afternoon and checked it out because of interest in the subject matter. Then it degardes into a silly little pissing match over semantics. But i think it goes deeper than that. And while typing just now i checked ghost riders bio and the pattern here is alive. Too often here i see a not at all subtle attitude based solely on certain members financial status and of course ownership. I for one find that attitude pathetic. Peoples' opinion should matter equally if discussing something that both could know about, such as this discussion and many in off-topic. Then as if on cue the sycophantic helper chimed in, surprisingly in this case an educated Doc. His words "dont argue with aj.... he is rarely wrong!!!!"
    IF he was serious when he posted that then it earns him a place in the jock sniffers hall of shame. So to make a long answer short my previous post was directed mainly at yourself and Scycle2020. The point ghostwriter made was valid for what he meant but for some reason the 2 of you couldn't let it slide. Reread that exchange and tell me how I'm wrong. Its part of the reason i spend very little time here anymore. Yeah i know, i am not missed.
    T