My Zaino vs. NXT Tech Wax Results (Rosso Nero 348) | Page 2 | FerrariChat

My Zaino vs. NXT Tech Wax Results (Rosso Nero 348)

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Ricambi America, Aug 22, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Mike C

Mike C F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 3, 2002
    Southeast USA
    Full Name:
    Mike Charness
    Here's an interesting test done by the BMW club:
    http://bimmer.roadfly.org/bmw/forums/detailing/4649930-1.html

Includes NXT Tech Wax, P21S, #20 (Meguiars) and Zaino Z5.

Note that they found that NXT has an abraisive ("cleaner") in it.

BTW, I have a call in to the NXT chemist at Meguiars to talk about some of the ingredients. It looks like the clay isn't designed as a filler, but the type of clay they use is actually an abrasive.

2. richard

richard Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Richard Thompson III
  3. FL 355

FL 355 Formula 3

Nov 3, 2002
    Ft Laud
    Full Name:
    Frank Lipinski
    Yes...NXT does have a cleaner in it....

4. skyhigh

skyhigh Formula 3

Jun 28, 2004
    SoCal
    What products do the winning cars at Pebble Beach use?

5. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

The Distributor didn't really have much to say. All the particpants knew there was no improved shine or slickness on my car... we chatted about it briefly, but quietly. Remember, I finished earlier than the others because I didn't need to clay and re-wash the car. I was a little embarassed for the Zaino rep, because I knew his sales were somewhat in jeopardy by my lackluster results. But I'm telling you, when my car was pulled into the daylight, there was not one iota of improvement from the NXT wax. I'm not a concourse judge, nor were the attendees. In our "lay" opinion, it looked the same. Except for the new scratches on my passenger door and bonnet. Perhaps the Zaino was SO GOOD that those scratches just became visible now? Sorry, I don't care. I don't want to see the scratches, and any product that makes them re-appear isn't for me. If NXT fills the scratches with dog poop, so be it.... I just want them invisible.

The distributor-supplied towels were 100% prewashed cotton towels from "DF Towels" I think. Indeed, they were nice and soft. If I were a baby, I'd love to have them wrapped around my butt -- they're soooo soft! When I removed the Zaino with the distributor-supplied cotton towels, little strands of cotton flew everywhere. I needed to blow them off the car once I was done. 100% synthetic microfiber will remain my weapon of choice.

I don't have any agenda here. I think Zaino might be great for some people, on some cars, in some conditions. Let's be clear: on my 1990 Ferrari 348 with Rosso Nero, garaged, covered, washed, waxed religiously, the Zaino with cotton towels wasn't worth the price of admission. I did not receive $80 worth of satisfaction from the process. Quite contrary -- with the scratches that appeared (and I needed to ScratchX/NXT remove that evening), the event was worth about $5 for the nice sandwiches and cookies they served.

-Daniel

6. FL 355

FL 355 Formula 3

Nov 3, 2002
    Ft Laud
    Full Name:
    Frank Lipinski
    Most guys won't tell you :)

Even the shows I go to and compete in.....small things like quick detailer are in generic spray bottles with tape around them so you can't see the color...

After Cavallino in January, my last concours event, I'll disclose some really neat dirty little secrets that will floor 90% of the people here...what to use and where to use it....including engine, wheel wells, etc etc

7. Ricambi America

Sponsor Owner

Mike - I use Griot's clay

8. ghost

ghost F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Singapore
    Great post guys - very educational. Daniel, thanks for the great (and very comprehensive) writeup.

9. Mike C

Mike C F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 3, 2002
    Southeast USA
    Full Name:
    Mike Charness
    Right. I'm talking about the Calcined Kaolin Clay ingredient that accounts for 5%-15% of the NXT Tech Wax liquid product... it's generally used as an abrasive ingredient in cleaner-waxes.

10. Mike C

Mike C F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 3, 2002
    Southeast USA
    Full Name:
    Mike Charness
    I'm not defending here, just educating: Zaino doesn't have good filling qualities. If someone has underlying issues in the paint, they could indeed "re-appear" if you've been using a product with fillers, and Zaino suggests you take care of the underlying paint surface before applying their product, which has zero abrasives or cleaners in it. NXT uses calcined kaolin clay as a cleaner/abrasive and silicones as its primary filler... remember 3M Imperial Glaze from the old days? It used mineral oil as a filler... worked great, and silicones work even better. They just aren't known to have much longevity past even one car wash.

11. Ricambi America

Sponsor Owner

Heck yes, I remember ol' 3M Fill-n-Glaze (pink). I still have a big jug of the stuff in my basement. mmmmmm.... looks like Pepto Bismol....

Now, if Zaino has such a strong potential to reveal underlying scratches in the paint, why would it be appropriate for "normal folks"? Here's the major dilemna then: If Zaino is for concourse/show use because it's so great (and requires perfect underlying paint), why does longevity matter? Concourse cars usually aren't left outdoors or driven in the rain...

I'm not trying to argue here, I just don't get it.

-Daniel

12. benjet

benjet Formula 3

Jan 14, 2001
    San Francisco, CA
    Full Name:
    Ben Lobenstein
    I tried NXT a while ago when they were giving it away at the local car show. Two things you should know about it, on my car it lasts barely 3 weeks, all the shine and protection was gone by then, it was very visable (and your results may really differ from mine) that it was no longer on the car. Second and most importantly NXT IS HARMFUL TO YOUR PAINT, check out the MSDS on it (I think I may even have it somewhere). NXT contains silicones which certainly improve the overall look of the paint, however silicone does seep into the paint and surface itself, for many this may not be a concern but it will be when and ever you need to repaint the panel you've used NXT on - the prep on that panel just got MUCH more difficult. Ask me how I know, on 2nd thought don't (and no it wasn't the Fcar).

-Ben

13. Cypherpunk

Cypherpunk Rookie

Nov 8, 2008
    Mike...I am curious which particular Zaino product you are referring to? I am looking at their website now...is it the "Clear Seal"? I am not too familiar with this brand...have used Meguire's Tech for a year or so and love it. I am thinking of giving Zaino a try for some longer lasting protection. Thanks!

14. BwanaJoe

BwanaJoe Formula 3

Oct 23, 2006
    Former Space Coast
    Full Name:
    Joe Burlein
    I haven't used NXT, but I do use Zaino. If you drive your car any where you will get bugs or tar on the car, get Zaino. Bugs wipe right off using a MF towel and the gloss enhancer. As far as swirl marks, welcome to today's factory paints. Those swirl marks have nothing to do with the product, it is what was being used to apply or take it off. I use a foam/cotton pad and MF towel to remove. I don't have a problem with swirl marks. However, I am going to have to get some NXT to try out. How does it differ from the pro line? No residue I assume?

15. BwanaJoe

BwanaJoe Formula 3

Oct 23, 2006
    Former Space Coast
    Full Name:
    Joe Burlein
    Had to add: "Try the NXT on the WIFE'S car."

16. redtrman

redtrman Formula 3
    BANNED

May 16, 2008
    VA - Heart in Pitt
    Full Name:
    Jason Bourne
    #41 redtrman, Nov 8, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  17. darkalley

darkalley Formula Junior

Aug 17, 2004
    Full Name:
    Jim
  18. scoper

scoper Karting

Sep 23, 2007
    Bethesda, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Alan
    Any thoughts on the appearance after Zymol Italia vs. NXT?

19. UConn Husky

UConn Husky F1 Rookie

Nov 11, 2006
    CT
    Full Name:
    Jay
    +1 on the NXT Tech Wax, I found the stuff last year and it is by far the best I've ever used. Easy to apply, leaves an amazing finish, and at least for the Ferrari has good durability.

20. 285ferrari

285ferrari Two Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Sep 11, 2004
    Southern Md
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    Been using NXT for years, recently was turned onto the P21S and I like it a tad better than the NXT

21. RushM3

RushM3 Karting

Not to hijack the discussion, but are most using a polish before applying the NXT, and if so, which polish?

My personal results with Zaino have been positive, particularly with its longevity as most have already mentioned, however any swirls I have in my paint show right through. My car is carbon black, which is actually more of a very dark metallic blue.

22. darkalley

darkalley Formula Junior

Aug 17, 2004
    Full Name:
    Jim
    #47 darkalley, Nov 9, 2008
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2008
    Given the positive results of p21s why would anyone risk their paint to zaino or any of these other polymers???? it sounds like a ton of work and it is very temperamental. p21s looks just as good, doesn't stain the trim and is so easy to apply. zaino and the other polymers seal everything in. it seems like every board has a similar nightmare to this. i agree some people smoke the zaino pipe and swear by it but if not applied with attention it can go wrong. p21s can be applied by my wife.....

23. REMIX

REMIX Two Time F1 World Champ

Gave my Acura TL a clay bar treatment today along with a coat of NXT V2. I bought this stuff for my 1970 SS Chevelle and am quite pleased with it. The heavy duty detail guys all really seem to love the P21S 100% carnauba wax. Like to try it, but will wait til I run out of NXT. I am going to clay bar the Chevelle next weekend or so and then do another coat of NXT. Works best with a microfiber towel BTW.

RMX

24. kosmo

kosmo Formula 3

Oct 19, 2008
    BIg D

Try Menzerna 85RD. its lessens the swirls and cleans the surface prior to the applicatio of wax/sealant.

25. climb

climb F1 Rookie

Sep 19, 2006
    Atlantic Beach Fl
    Full Name:
    Stuart K. Hicks
    Zainio works great as a base coat since it last several months.

I've found good results with using it as a base then topping the application with other products.