Ferrari badged number plates | FerrariChat

Ferrari badged number plates

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by GrahamS, Aug 21, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. GrahamS

GrahamS F1 Veteran
    BANNED

May 29, 2004
    24 hours from Tulsa
    Full Name:
    Grandmaster G
    #1 GrahamS, Aug 21, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  2. andrewg

andrewg F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Sep 10, 2002
    Chester, England
    Full Name:
    AndrewG
    Graham

keep your old plates for the MOT, I've just had a car fail with very similar spacing and graphics.

but they certainly look better than standard ones

3. tonyh

tonyh F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 23, 2002
    S W London
    Full Name:
    Tony H
    I like them too but was wondering about you getting a pull from PC Plod....

4. kenyon

kenyon F1 Rookie

Oct 7, 2002
    East Yorkshire
    Full Name:
    Justin Kenyon
    I have the same and no problems for the MOT or the Police. Been on the last two years...

Just say they came with the car...

5. Boxer 512

Boxer 512 Formula Junior
    BANNED

May 5, 2004
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Seb King
    On your picture, and on many 355's I've seen on the road the front plate is held in place by a braket arrangement right at the point were the front airdam is shaped to funnel air underneath the car ? I have it on good authority that this ruins the aerodynamic flow and cancels out the designed effect ?
    Why don't you fit the printed self adhesive plates that can be obtained, which are still perfectly legal and would not hinder the airflow ?

PS - I too got my plates from Fancyplates and have had no trouble at all, but I went for standard text and spacing.

Regards,

Seb

6. tonyh

tonyh F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 23, 2002
    S W London
    Full Name:
    Tony H
    Seb,
    i've been wanting to do this for ages. Does the sticker come off easily, ie with no damage to paint?

7. Boxer 512

Boxer 512 Formula Junior
    BANNED

May 5, 2004
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Seb King
    Tony

Yes, Very easily they are made for this application so you would expect that they would not damage the paintwork anyway.

Are the brackets that are used to hold the normal perspex plate screwed to the front sub frame or do they have to be drilled through the front dam ? If it's the latter, this is far worse than a minor re-spray should the worse happen with the peelable plates anyway ?

Seb

8. GrahamS

GrahamS F1 Veteran
    BANNED

May 29, 2004
    24 hours from Tulsa
    Full Name:
    Grandmaster G
    Mines screwed into the lower part of the front air dam. There's also a couple of other holes from where, presumably, a different shaped bracket used to be.

Interesting point about the air flow, never considered that. Got any pictures of a 355 with a sticky number plate?

9. MarkCollins

MarkCollins F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jul 2, 2002
    South England
    Full Name:
    Mark Collins
    Tony

Sadly you'll find the stick on plates are no longer legal as they do not conform to the relevant British Standard :(

10. tonyh

tonyh F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 23, 2002
    S W London
    Full Name:
    Tony H
    Cheers Mark. How about the small bike style one?

11. Bukem

Bukem Karting

Sep 27, 2003
    London
    Full Name:
    Ben M
    Mark,

I don't think the police know this - I was pulled recently for no front plate, and the officer actually SUGGESTED I get a stick-on plate "to avoid scraping it on speed bumps".

Tony,

I have a smaller 'motorbike' plate - it's 450mm x 80mm and works well - no problems with plod at all. I can give you the number if you like...

Ben.

12. Boxer 512

Boxer 512 Formula Junior
    BANNED

May 5, 2004
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Seb King
    Mark,

Just checked this out with DVLA and they conflict with your post and state that "providing the correct size lettering and spacing is used, the adhesive plate is still completely legal"

Seb

13. Jaz

Jaz Formula Junior

Jun 26, 2004
    London
    Full Name:
    JAZ
    Where can you get small numberplates made, especially for the 355, the front plate looks much better whens its the smaller type, looks cleaner.....

Jaz.

14. burriana

burriana Formula 3

Jul 8, 2004
    North Yorkshire UK
    Full Name:
    AL
    Peel the sticky No plates off cold = potentially bye bye paintwork.

Peel the sticky No plates off using a hair dryer to heat them up = comes off a doddle.

This applies to mostly any vinyl graphics or sticky badges.

15. GrahamS

GrahamS F1 Veteran
    BANNED

May 29, 2004
    24 hours from Tulsa
    Full Name:
    Grandmaster G
    In an effort to clear up the legal questions re number plates I've attached a link to the government's web site that allows you to read the text of the regulations online

Have fun!

http://www.hmso.gov.uk/si/si2001/20010561.htm

16. theredkite

theredkite Rookie

Aug 6, 2004
    Bucks, England
    Full Name:
    Mike C
    Might the problem with sticky plates be the diagonal area requirement? (As I try to coax my tired mind into understanding such legalese). Not that any pc is easily going to make that assessment!

17. andrewg

andrewg F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Sep 10, 2002
    Chester, England
    Full Name:
    AndrewG
    Guys

below is the FAQ from the DVLA's web site (no leagalise required), in a nutshell spacing and font are now limited to the standard and Stick ons are not legal.

Why is it necessary to have a common font for all number plates?

Number plates must be easy to read - by people who may witness accidents or serious crime involving motor vehicles and by roadside cameras. The police rely on clear recall of registration numbers in order to trace vehicle keepers.

Why did the rule on fonts change?

An increasing number of motorists use number plates that are difficult to read. The introduction of cameras for enforcement purposes means that it is more important than ever for number plates to be legible. The new regulations will ensure that there is clarity of numbers and letters through the use of a standardised mandatory font. Click here for further information.

Will motorists have to change their existing number plates to the new font?

The vast majority of motorists will not be directly affected by the regulations. However those motorists who have number plates that are not substantially the same as the new mandatory font should change them for plates that comply with new regulations. Once the new font becomes compulsory existing number plates using any typeface that is not substantially the same as that specified in the regulations will be illegal. Click here for further information.

Are motorists with “cherished” registration marks be affected by the new mandatory font?

Providing their number plates currently meet the legal requirements the mandatory font will not affect them.

My vehicle was manufactured before 1 January 1973 but not registered until later. What type of number plate should I display?

You now have the option of either displaying the standard plates or an old style number plate explained under the heading vehicles registered before 1 January 1973.

Is it legal to display the Euro-symbol?

Yes - Regulations permit the optional display of the European Symbol of Stars with GB on the extreme left of the number plate.

Are there plans to make the Euro-plate compulsory?

No, it is optional. The provision has been introduced because the European Council issued a regulation in November 1998 requiring Member States to recognise the Euro-symbol on number plates in place of the traditional oval shaped national identifier sticker for travel within the European Union. It is for individual motorists to decide if they wish to use the new Euro-plate.

What is the effect of the Euro-plate on UK registered vehicles?

UK vehicles travelling in the European Union may still display the traditional oval “GB” sticker. Alternatively number plates incorporating the Euro-symbol may be used instead of the oval sticker. The oval national identifier sticker would still be required for vehicles on journeys outside the European Union.

Can other symbols (e.g. national flag, football team crest) be used on number plates?

The Government announced on 28 December 2001 the intention to permit the display of national flags and symbols on vehicle number plates.When the regulations are amended they will provide for the voluntary display of the Union flag, Scottish Saltire, Cross of St George and Red Dragon. Football team crests etc are not allowed.

Do I have to change my number plate if it is cracked or broken?

If the number plate is damaged in such a way that it makes the registration mark difficult to read it does need to be replaced.

If I need to replace one of my plates, do I need to change both?

No, you only need to replace the damaged number plate.

Are 3D characters allowed?

Registration numbers and letters must be black and non - reflectable. 3D characters are allowed provided the number plate complies with the British Standard specification (BS AU 145d).

Is a honeycombed or other background pattern permitted?

No, overprinting including honeycomb or other background designs are not allowed.

Are stick-on number plates legal?

No, number plates must meet the British Standard requirements and we are not aware of any self-adhesive number plates that are able to meet these requirements.

18. Dem

Dem Formula 3

Mar 21, 2004
    London
    Full Name:
    Dem
    I've done a fair bit of work on my 355 number plate, and have come up with a cunning solution......

Having ripped the bracket out of the front spoiler on holiday, I used some bigger screws to hold it in. After I'd ripped it out again on another speed hump back home, I looked for bigger thread screws and couldn't find any. Not wanting to use M18 bolts with 30mm A/F nuts on the back, I asked if anyone at work had any ideas. Someone jokingly mentioned using raw plugs and somebody else piped up with velcro.

In the end, I used both! Raw plugs intended for plaster board, slipped in the existing holes in the spoiler just fine, and some smaller screws secured the bracked nicely. I then used velcro to secure the number plate to the bracket on the spoiler. It's sturdy enough, but hopefully, if I clack it on a speed hump again, it'll tear the velcro apart rather than enlarge the holes in the spolier again. I can then just pick the plate up and stick it on again!

Patent pending....................

19. GrahamS

GrahamS F1 Veteran
    BANNED

May 29, 2004
    24 hours from Tulsa
    Full Name:
    Grandmaster G
    Presume that you're now going to have to do a laces conversion on your trainers, now that you've robbed the velcro off 'em to stick your number plate on with?

20. Boxer 512

Boxer 512 Formula Junior
    BANNED

May 5, 2004
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Seb King
    The plot thickens......

Due to the contradiction on the DVLA website and what I was told yesterday by the DVLA, I'll re-check ????

Seb

21. Boxer 512

Boxer 512 Formula Junior
    BANNED

May 5, 2004
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Seb King
    Graham,

Based on the website info, you could be in for a right old tug....

Incorrect Font, Honeycombed Background, Incorrect Spacing and a Coloured Shadow .......Tut, Tut.....

Watch for the blue flashing lights mate.....

Seb

22. GrahamS

GrahamS F1 Veteran
    BANNED

May 29, 2004
    24 hours from Tulsa
    Full Name:
    Grandmaster G
    Yeah I've been wondering about that. I may have to adopt the "You'll never take me alive copper" stance

Based on what the law seems to be saying...
    I think I'm alright on the font because it's not substantially different from the original.
    I can probably blag my way through the shadowing as it's not actually obscuring the lettering or making it more difficult to read.
    Spacing is a bit tricky to understand but I think they seem to be saying that the strick spacing rules only apply for the letter "I" or the number "1" so I'm ok on that.

That just leaves the honeycomb background. I guess I'm banged to rights on that one but if any copper pulls me they'll be more interested in the more obvious differences.

At the end of the day most coppers don't know the laws inside out so they end up charging you with the wrong thing.

That happened to me before when they charged me with having 2 defective tyres some years ago. However, the copper didn't realise that these tyres (Yokohama A008) had a separate clause in the law governing tread. I took a copy of the Road Traffic Act into court and won on a technicality as they'd charged me under the wrong law.

It's a risky game to play though

23. F328GTS

F328GTS Formula 3

Apr 27, 2004
    Cambridgeshire, UK
    Full Name:
    Nigel R
    You forgot the illegal symbol.....

Can other symbols (e.g. national flag, football team crest) be used on number plates?

The Government announced on 28 December 2001 the intention to permit the display of national flags and symbols on vehicle number plates.When the regulations are amended they will provide for the voluntary display of the Union flag, Scottish Saltire, Cross of St George and Red Dragon. Football team crests etc are not allowed.

24. Dem

Dem Formula 3

Mar 21, 2004
    London
    Full Name:
    Dem

Yeah - 6 raw plugs either side and some fishing wire holds them together now.