To open the box or not, that is the question | FerrariChat

To open the box or not, that is the question

Discussion in 'Collectables, Literature, & Models' started by Vito, Aug 23, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Vito

Vito Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 29, 2004
    Dutchess County, NY
    I have several (about four dozen) 1/18 and 1/43 scale cars that are still kept in the original boxes. These cars, almost exclusively Ferrari, have never been removed from those boxes and the newer Hot Wheels cars for example, still have the clear plastic bands to keep the doors closed in place. My question is whether it's worthwhile to keep the cars like this. Would the cars be more valuable from a collector perspective were they never to have been opened? Or, is that not a factor worth considering? Thank you for your comments & suggestions.

2. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Well, this is the same "should I keep my wife a virgin for the next guy?" problem that faces real Ferrari Owners.

Whatever is your pleasure, is the answer...Hot Wheels cranks out SOOOO many of these, they will never be rare..

I saved the boxes for many years but it got out of control, so I trashed 'em.

But then, my first wife's not a virgin any longer.........

3. tonin0804

tonin0804 Formula Junior

May 3, 2004
    Madrid, Spain
    Full Name:
    Antonio
    He, he, he. Really funny Speedy308.
    IMHO, I think that this depends if you have in mind selling the models after collecting. I bought some models from 2nd hand, and i've never minded if the box has been opened or not. If you've a very hard to find model, don't open the box if you want, but don't do it with Hot Wheels. Do it only with the REAL rare models.

4. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Yea, I drove my Ferrari, too.

With the NEW GIRLFRIEND! LOL! ;)

She almost caused the guy next to us in the truck to run off the road....

5. Challenge64

Challenge64 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Ron
    We get asked that daily. I mean literally every day customers will ask us if they should save the boxes..

I tell people yes. Keep the boxes. There are older models like the Jouef series that had serial #s printed on the backs of the boxes. Some people when they order from us ask us to pick out a good box..no tears, creases, nicks, dings...ect..

Personally I think thats a bit much and a little overboard, but who am I to argue?

As for taking it out of the box. The doesn't seem to matter. I think to enjoy the model, they need to be taken out and opened up and played with. The plastic straps and screws holding it on may not even be "original". We are always opening boxes and pulling out models we sell. Mostly to fix problems and re attach loose parts.

GL!

Ron
    ScaleCars.com

6. Mule

Mule F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2003
    Alaska
    Full Name:
    Mule
    It depends on why you collect them. In the boxes for an investment, or out for your own enjoyment. I take mine out of the box, cut the serial number off of the box and tape it to the bottom of the car. For some it is no question like the Minichamps 1/43 that the box is part of the model. I think on the 1:18, the box covers too much of the model. Some models I will buy two, and keep one inthe box if it is a good deal or a rare model (and affordable). Now I just need to buy a power srewdriver to get some of the 1:18s off of the base they are srewed on to.

I also keep a computer list with all the names and serial numbers, since I can't tell them all by sight.

7. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Um, don't be lazy, use a manual screw driver... :)

Ok, um... This is a problem... How do you have any time in your days to do anything else...? You should start an email list and exchange serial numbers and serial number information with spotters all around the world... i have an idea of what the list could be called, but that name is already taken... :D

Vito, sorta like Speedy said, it's really up to you... If you had a real Ferrari, would you drive it or would you let it sit in the garage, under the car cover it came with...? Except for a few 1:43s, NONE of my models are in their boxes... As soon as i get them home, i take them out of the box, i unscrew them from the base, i clip the plastic bands that keep everything closed and i open and close everything and roll it around... They're just toys... Sure they LOOK cool and sometimes they fetch some high dollars, but they're still just toys... Have fun with them... :)

8. Mule

Mule F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2003
    Alaska
    Full Name:
    Mule
    Sure, if I was sporting those pythons that you carry around.

9. T0nyGTSt

T0nyGTSt Karting

Jul 31, 2004
    Even limited edition cars aren't really worth keeping boxes for.

I have some numbered 2,500 build cars and well... there's 2,500 out there and at most it's worth a coupla hundred.

Small beans to me.

1:18 is way too big to keep.

T.

10. Dave328

Dave328 Formula 3

Nov 24, 2002
    Katy
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I don't collect mine as an investment. I collect for my enjoyment. All boxes get tossed. Then the car goes into a sealed glass curio cabinet to heep the dust off. They won't be sold, just passed down to the kids.

Dave

11. rr1973

rr1973 Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    DieCast Collector
    Full Name:
    Ramon Ramirez
    All my cars are out of boxes and I bought display cases for them but I storaged original boxes if I have to use them someday. Look Sample photo

12. Maximo_Tifoso

Maximo_Tifoso Karting

Jan 8, 2004
    Houston TX
    I always take them out of the box. I save the boxes, and put them in a climate controlled storage facility. I am up to 101 models(all 1/18 Ferraris), and they are all behind glass. Every box gets a label, and I have a spreadsheet to help me keep track of them.....

13. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Where ya been Max?

Long time to talk..Skizo was trying to catch up for lunch last weekend....

14. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    100 1:18?

You're gaining on me! I need to count mine.....brb

15. Maximo_Tifoso

Maximo_Tifoso Karting

Jan 8, 2004
    Houston TX
    I think you're safe for now..how many do you have?? I'll go months without buying one, then I'll buy 2-3 in a span of a week!!!

16. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    5 Bookcases, 20 a piece...lots in the closet that won't fit...gave one to zupra...the exact answer is......I dunno.

17. Maximo_Tifoso

Maximo_Tifoso Karting

Jan 8, 2004
    Houston TX
    If you ever want some of those in your closet to go to a good home...let me know!!! I would be very interested.$