Boxer control arms- gold or silver cad? | FerrariChat

Boxer control arms- gold or silver cad?

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by parkerfe, Aug 20, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    Does anyone know whether the control arms on a 1982 Boxer are silver or gold cad? The ones on my car appear to be silver cad with some gold cad hardware. However, the new ones at TRutlands are gold cad, although they do have some used ones that are silver cad. Of course with Ferrari, they could have been silver cad one year and gold cad the next. Anyone have a definitive answer on what they were in 1982? Any help will be appreciated. Thanks, Frank

2. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    I know you are asking about 82's but I have had 4 83's in my shop in the last couple of weeks and have a 79 here now and they are all gold. As you say they do switch back and forth.

3. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    Now I'm even more perplexed? I have received four e-mails from Boxer owners that say theirs are silver cad and one from an owner that says his lower ones are silver cad and upper ones are gold cad. I wonder what FCA concours rules say is correct?

4. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    all I know is you need a gold CARD to buy them..:)

5. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    No. I just want to refinish them with Eastwood's Cad renewal product and want to know whether to use silver or gold for the control arms themselves. I already know that the mounting brackets, hardware and calipers are supposed to be gold.

6. Drew Altemara

Drew Altemara Formula 3

Feb 11, 2002
    Tuscaloosa, AL
    Full Name:
    Drew Altemara
    Frank,

I just had a good look at my 79 Boxer as it is up on the lift as I type and as I e-mailed you earlier mine are definately silver cad. Go figure?

Regards,

Drew Altemara

7. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    I just received three more responses from Boxer owners to my silver cad vs. gold cad queery. Two said theirs were silver cad and one said his was gold cad. And, there does not seem to be any relationship between what years or models had which. So, as always, Ferraris' only consistency is its inconsistency!

8. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    I received an e-mail from Ed Gilbertson of the FCA and he agrees that some Boxers may have came with silver cad control arms and some with gold cad control arms. So, since mine are silver, I guess I'll refinish them in silver.

9. sparetireless

sparetireless Formula 3

Nov 2, 2003
    If you are getting the cad redone, you probably want to ask for Class 3, have it done to the "Mil-C Spec" this is the US military spec. Also be sure to ask for a post bake to drive out the hyrdrogen, its possible to get them plated really nice and they can shear like glass due a condition called hydrogen embrittlement. A good Mil-Spec cad shop will advise you on this. For a suspension part, embrittlement can cause a big time failure if not done well. The baking must closely follow the plating process in terms of time.

10. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    sparetireless, I'm wanting to refinish them for cosmetic reasons only. So, I will use either the cad refinishing product from www.eastwoodco.com or Rub&Buff. The gold cad calipers on my Boxer were refinished with the Eastwood product in Dec 2002 and almost 6k miles ago and it still looks like new even with the heat generated by the calipers. So, with control arms, which don't get hot at all, it will be fine as well. I have also touched up both gold and silver cad parts on other Ferraris that I have owned before with Rub&Buff and it looks just like OEM cad and lasted for years as well. And, with Rub&Buff, you just apply it with your fingers without removal from the car which makes it a very easy job.