ATTN: Software Guru's: Money making idea! | FerrariChat

ATTN: Software Guru's: Money making idea!

Discussion in 'Technology' started by PeterS, Aug 24, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. PeterS

PeterS Four Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2003
    Goodyear, AZ
    Full Name:
    PeterS
    Brainstorm central here!

In a full day of work on the computer, there are always files that are downloaded and probably forgotten about. My idea is that if some software guru can come up with a program that upon turning off the computer, a pop-up type box appears saying something like "The following is a list of files downloaded on your computer today. Please delete the files that you do not wish to keep on your computer".

I thought of this around 2:00PM today, after being on my computer since about 6:00AM. In that time, I probably have about 20+ files of different sorts that were saved that I will not view again (XLS doc's from cut & pastes, emails, pics, etc).

Any merrit to the above? I think that this software could sell for $9.95 to $14.95 under a name such as 'Erase It', 'Keep It?, 'Delete It', etc. I would buy it in a heartbeat!

2. MikeZ_NJ

MikeZ_NJ Formula 3

Dec 10, 2002
    Southern NJ
    Full Name:
    Mike Z.
    Interesting idea; here are a couple comments/ideas right off the bat:

+ Not everyone turns off their computer each night. I leave mine on for weeks/months at a time. Perhaps the dialog box could be timed to come up each morning. Even better, the system could "learn" your habits by determining if you regularly shut down (by parsing the event logs). If you do, it will inform you upon shutdown. If you don't, it will notify you each day.

+ An issue arrises in the fact that your computer is constantly downloading things when you're on the internet. All those pictures in the Ferrarichat threads... downloaded whether you explicitly ask the computer to or not. (normally) You also can't go based on size because there would be a ton of false negatives. You would have to incorporate into the program the knowledge that you're EXPLICITLY downloading something.

+ A way to file the files should be included, along with a shortcut placed on the desktop to the filed directory.

Just my 2 cents as a computer guy.

3. PeterS

PeterS Four Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2003
    Goodyear, AZ
    Full Name:
    PeterS
    Great reply. I KNOW this would sell! If I had the time, I would jump on it and get it to the market, but I have far too many irons in the fire at this time!

4. jbtrader23

jbtrader23 Karting

Apr 20, 2004
    Los Angeles, Ca
    Microsoft has more money than most small countries.....maybe Gates and Co will think of this soon.....;)