Adding Detailing (Car Care Appearance )Forum | FerrariChat

Adding Detailing (Car Care Appearance )Forum

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by jonw440, Aug 24, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jonw440

jonw440 Rookie

Jul 17, 2004
    Barre,MA
    I see we don't have a forum dedicated to car care(waxing,polishing, interior care, wheel care, etc). I started this thread to see if the administrators would add one if we get enough response.
    Please Vote. yes (add detailing forum) or NO (we don't need a detailing forum)

2. BWS550

BWS550 Wants to be a mod

Apr 1, 2002
    NEW JERSEY
    Full Name:
    BRUCE WELLINGTON
    ADD LICENSE PLATE FRAMES, FLOORMATS, ETC....POSSIBLY A FC MELTDOWN..............WHERES ED GAULT????

3. Mike C

Mike C F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 3, 2002
    Southeast USA
    Full Name:
    Mike Charness
    As much as I'm into detailing, I'd say we DON'T need a separate forum for it. Like Bruce implies, how often can we cover the same stuff? There's plenty already in the archives, though occasionally we get something new to talk about like the Meguiars NSX Tech product.

4. f355b

f355b Formula Junior

Jan 23, 2004
    Little Silver,NJ
    yes who many times can you talk about the same stuff!!!!
    like timing belts
    Brakes
    Oil lights, etc etc

if you dont want to read about people detaling there cars or passing on advice, dont read it.

5. Jason Crandall

Jason Crandall F1 Veteran

Mar 25, 2004
    ATL/CHS/MIA
    Full Name:
    Jason
    "Who is John Gault"

Great line though!!

6. Mike C

Mike C F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 3, 2002
    Southeast USA
    Full Name:
    Mike Charness
    I do read it, I do pass on advice, and I even write the monthly Detailing/Concours Tips column for the FCA NewsBulletin. I just don't think we need a separate forum for it here.

7. f355b

f355b Formula Junior

Jan 23, 2004
    Little Silver,NJ
    well it seems some people do, thanks for your input

8. Scotty

Scotty F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Scotty Ferrari
    I'd like to see one. While you can only argue about Zaino vs. Carnuba for so many times, particular problems arise with keeping our cars looking sharp, and it would be nice to have a specific place to solicit imput. Perhaps one of our detailing experts could contract Rob re: possibly being a forum moderator.

9. damcgee

damcgee Formula 3

Feb 23, 2003
    Mobile, AL
    With the myriad of other forums, I certainly don't see what it could hurt.

It is wierd to have such a stratified board now, though. I remember "back in the day" when if you went a day without checking f-chat, you had to read leaf back a page or two, because there were only few forums.

10. TCM

TCM Formula Junior

Nov 10, 2003
    Tyngsborough, MA
    I think it would be a good addition to the forum. Besides for the needless threads about polymer/sealent, we can get some good info from differenct sources on little tips and tricks.

11. Roryferrari

Roryferrari Formula Junior

Apr 28, 2004
    San Jose
    Full Name:
    Dave Bell
    This board is only getting larger. Perhaps organizing sub-specific areas of care makes it easier and keeps threads from becoming less polluted. Just an observation. Only been around since April. This is one area I'm always looking for advice.

12. FL 355

FL 355 Formula 3

Nov 3, 2002
    Ft Laud
    Full Name:
    Frank Lipinski
    "back in the days" - There were only 3 taboo's...you never brought up
    1. wax
    2. mats
    3. license plate frames

I learned the hard way as a rookie :)

13. caseykimma

caseykimma Formula 3

Jun 5, 2004
    Reading, PA
    Full Name:
    Casey
    why not? i've seen a lot of good information on other car forums.

14. SrfCity

SrfCity F1 World Champ

I think it's a good idea

15. F1Ace

F1Ace F1 Rookie

Mar 15, 2004
    Full Name:
    Wes
    I agree that there is a need to group the detailing articles, but perhaps adding another forum isn't the best solution. Too much fragmentation leads to the feeling of isolation. No, what you want to do it this.

There are several FAQ topics, though I wouldn't want to use that format. But there should be a column of words on the right hand side which automatically bring up the threads to do with that topic, because searching on my own isn't always effective.

Make a list of topics like:
    Finding Parts
    Detailing
    Performance mods
    Routine Maintenance
    Others?

I post several just as an example, so you get the idea. Then when you click on "Detailing" you get all of the threads (that were of any merit) to do with Leatherique, Waxes, etc.. by order of date. There were some great threads in the past, but it's tough to know what search word will find them.

So I agree with the need, but this is how I would handle it.

Best!
    Wes

16. JSL

JSL Formula 3

Jan 5, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    J.S. Leonard
    So, what's wrong with LICENSE PLATE FRAMES being discussed in the open? :)
    JSL- AKA: JScott

17. FL 355

FL 355 Formula 3

Nov 3, 2002
    Ft Laud
    Full Name:
    Frank Lipinski
    I agree with F1ACE

It's not a forum on which wax is better, etc....but we could share info, for example:

I spoke to George at Leatherique about 2 days ago...I found a new trick....but it in the microwave to make it really hot before application...works much better. He knew about it and thought it was a good idea, but nothing on his web site or directions about heating the product. We could share this type of info....

Parts would also be a benefit - When I see a thread that the AC compressor on a 355 is the same as a volvo...I print that out and start a folder. Be nice to have it all under one roof.

Perhaps we could call it "restoration" instead of detailing to keep those opposed happy.

Don't know the history as to why no plates wax or mats...FCars are meant to be driven and not cleaned? I joined in 00 or 01 and got nailed whenever brought up wax, etc... So, when in Rome....ya know?

18. Ferrari 328 Euro

Ferrari 328 Euro Formula Junior

Jul 19, 2004
    Salem, MA
    Full Name:
    Brandon
    I vote yes for a detailing/restoration forum.

Being a new 328 owner, I find ALL information helpful - adding a specific forum would make it easier for searching through all the various forums.

I'm always looking for more contacts and resources.

Ferrari Chat has been a wealth of information and best of all, the guys (and girls) are all awesome! I have learned so much in so little time - thanks everyone!

19. GearHead

GearHead Karting

Jan 3, 2004
    It's actually "Who is John Galt?"

20. arkferrari

arkferrari Karting
    BANNED

Feb 9, 2004
    Hot Springs, AR
    Full Name:
    B.F. Mitchell
    There can never be too much information. A separate forum would be nice for convenient access.

21. ze_shark

ze_shark Formula 3

Jul 13, 2003
    Switzerland (NW)
    Great tip, had not thought of that. Been using a spray bottle which I leave in a tub of warm water, but it's not that efficient. What is the optimal temp for the rejuvinator oil ? There must be a limit ?

22. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Geez, stop it with the new forum stuff. If we had one for detailing, we would need one for a hundred others. The biggest complaint already is that we have too many forums.

Common topics that come up too often should go into the FAQ. Not a single person has completed one in the past month though. So Bruce and anyone else can't ***** about hearing the same thing over and over. I actually made the first two example FAQ's myself and they deal with detailing.

Has anyone even seen them?

23. f355b

f355b Formula Junior

Jan 23, 2004
    Little Silver,NJ
    There are a few thing IMO important with Ferrari ownership.

Making sure it runs well, and making sure it looks good.

I just dont understand the big deal.But i guess your the boss.
    Thank you.

And yes i did see it and printed it out.

24. rcallahan

rcallahan F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jul 15, 2002
    Santa Barbara
    Full Name:
    Bob Callahan
    Do a search on the old forum. Then come back to us :)

25. rcallahan

rcallahan F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jul 15, 2002
    Santa Barbara
    Full Name:
    Bob Callahan
    Rob, whats a FAQ?? :)

Bob