what do yall think of this bike. | FerrariChat

what do yall think of this bike.

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by Ryan S., Aug 24, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ryan S.

Ryan S. Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 20, 2004
    http://www.schwinnbike.com/images/catalog/r_39.21.S4-MesaGSDDisc-RedGrey.jpg

it looks like a lot of bike for 500 bucks. If any one else has any recomendations on other good hard tail mountain bikes, please tell me. My price range is no more than 650.

also, what are some good on line bike stores? i cant remember any except for dans comp, but thats all bmx stuff.

thanks for the help.

2. WJHMH

WJHMH Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2001
    Panther City, Texas
    Full Name:
    WJHMH
  3. Ryan S.

Ryan S. Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 20, 2004
    should be fixed now. thanks for the heads up though.

4. WJHMH

WJHMH Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2001
    Panther City, Texas
    Full Name:
    WJHMH
    Allot has changed since I worked in a bike shop, I sold, raced, built, etc... them in collage. Looks good for the price, it has disk brakes, what is the frame made of & what shifting group is it equipped with? STX, LX, XT?

Also check out Specialized, Kona, & Gary Fisher.

As for Bike shops in Houston, there's the Bike Barn & University Cycles in the Rice village.

5. VROOM!!!

VROOM!!! Formula 3

Feb 11, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Armen
    I have a Gary fisher and a Cannondale. I love my Cannondale the most.

6. chrislamborghiniatlanta

chrislamborghiniatlanta Formula Junior

Dec 23, 2003
    Hey Ryan,
    There are a lot of online shops but they cannot properly fit you. Mountain bikes are a little easier to fit though so it is not as big a deal. As for online stuff, you have www.supergo.com and also www.coloradocyclist.com along with www.performancebike.com and www.bikenashbar.com. They all have a lot of stuff to choose from. One thing you have to consider is what type of riding you will be doing. Tight single track will require a different type of geometry than open fire road type riding. Let me know if you have any more questions about the Mountain bike thing.

Chris

7. Johnny Bravo

Johnny Bravo Formula Junior

Jul 22, 2003
    DC Metro/MD
    Full Name:
    Ben
    To add to what Chris just posted you might want to check out www.mtbr.com too as they have a lot of product reviews and consumer posts. I was going to post the link for the Schwinn you're looking at, but the site was being super slow for me tonight. There's also a foum there as well to get some good feedback too. A quick trip to a local bike shop would be a good idea as well to get fitted and ask the folks there some questions and they should be able to point you in the right direction (although I'm sure they may also try to sell you stuff in the process too). I've never owned a hardtail mtb personally as I kinda just jumped into a full-suspension bike, but I really want to build up a hardtail using an Azonic Steelhead frame :D Can you say Urban Assault Vehicle :D:D:D Anyway, one of my friends is looking at mtb's and some reasonably priced hardtails I've found while helping him look are the Gary Fisher Tassajara and Giant Rainier. Both are reasonably priced and have very good component sets, but there are a lot of choices out there these days and are many good ones to pick from.

A few other online shops you might want to check out too are www.pricepoint.com (usually KILLER prices on components & accessories; just bought a new seatpost, stem, and grips there which I installed today :D), www.jensonusa.com, www.airbomb.com, and www.beyondbikes.com.

EDIT: Here's the mtbr.com review of the Schwinn. Looks like some decent reviews thus far. Hope this helps: http://www.mtbr.com/reviews/2004_hardtail/product_123296.shtml

8. Gilles27

Gilles27 F1 World Champ

Mar 16, 2002
    Ex-Urbia
    Full Name:
    Jack
    Depends on the parts, components, etc. I just bought my wife a StumpJumper, and it dawned on me that the prices haven't gone up much in years.