opel gt; p.o.s. or fun little car? | FerrariChat

opel gt; p.o.s. or fun little car?

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by jimangle, Aug 24, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jimangle

jimangle F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2003
    Haverford
    Full Name:
    James
    Guys,
    Are Opel GT's pieces of you know what? Or are the fun little cars? How do they handle in the twisties? I drove one about 8 years ago and I can't remember how it handled, plus it was in phoenix where there aren't any twisties.
    Jim

2. whart

whart F1 Veteran
    Honorary

Dec 5, 2001
    Grandview NY
    Full Name:
    Herr Prof.
    Haven't seen one in years. Thought they all went to that great rust graveyard with the Fiats from the 70's.

3. Bill Sawyer

Bill Sawyer Formula 3

Feb 26, 2002
    Georgia
    It was considered a girl's car in the day. My brother-in-law had one and remembers it fondly. Nothing from that era handled very well by modern standards. I would imagine that you could have a lot of fun with one if you could find one in reasonable condition. As William points out , there aren't many left, so you'd have something unique to take to car shows.

4. jimangle

jimangle F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2003
    Haverford
    Full Name:
    James
    I brought it up because I've been seeing them recently. I saw one for sale around the neighborhoond, and then this weekend I saw one on the freeway in New Jersey with a V8 conversion, and another in Baltimore.

5. F456 V12

F456 V12 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2004
    Coto de Caza
    Full Name:
    Christian
    #5 F456 V12, Aug 25, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  6. Fan512bbi

Fan512bbi Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2004
    Wales-UK
    Full Name:
    Steve.
  7. UroTrash

UroTrash Three Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
  8. Miltonian

Miltonian F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2002
    Milton, Wash.
    Full Name:
    Jeff B.
    I drove a number of Opel GT's in the Seventies, when they were new. They ranked near the bottom of the competition in most catagories even at that time. I think you would be vastly disappointed in the comfort, performance, handling, and braking. Personally, I think you would have more fun driving a Suzuki Samurai.

9. peterp

peterp F1 Veteran

Aug 31, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Peter
    I owned one in high school and enjoyed it right up to the point that it through a rod. It had a few chronic problems, like the throttle linkage popping off and the rubber bands that held up the exhaust disintegrating. We used to make bets about which would happen first. It only threw a rod once though, and I thought that was admirable. They look sporty, but it wasn't a great driving car (and I was a lot less discerning in those days). My particular car was not reliable, but we had another one in the family that wasn't that bad. The V8 conversion might be interesting, the stock 1.9 liter was relatively large for a 4 cyl at the time, but it was pretty slow.

10. james patterson

james patterson Formula Junior
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 8, 2003
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    James Patterson
    There was an Opel GT that ran AABMS at Bonneville about 10 years ago, stock wheelbase, blown big block chevy. The car had a big splitter on the front and a big wing on the back. The car set the class record at 242 mph. It was a bit of a handful and never was run again with the rat in it. If I remember correctly the car made a lot of passes with a small block in it in the 200 mph range.