Auto Affair boutique? | FerrariChat

Auto Affair boutique?

Discussion in 'California & Nevada (Northern)' started by lukek, Aug 24, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. lukek

lukek Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2003
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    LK
    Anybody been to the place in Danville? I am thinking about heading out on Saturday, wandering if it is worth a trip.

http://www.auto-affair.com

2. Coujer

Coujer Karting

Jul 19, 2004
    Carmel, CA
    Full Name:
    Laurent C. Richard
    I've been there a few times. I really like there collection of racing posters, but other wise its okay. I heard they plan on building a tune and modification shop soon. Its really small store too, but I would go and there only if you plan on doing other things in the area.

3. Coujer

Coujer Karting

Jul 19, 2004
    Carmel, CA
    Full Name:
    Laurent C. Richard
    Also they are way overpriced!!

4. David512

David512 Formula 3

Dec 15, 2003
    Northern California
    I like the store and have purchased there a few times. Currently, I am using the surface treatments I bought there based on the owner's suggestion. I like the look and merchandise currently provided by Miguel Cela over the previous owner. (Some people have claimed Miguel is a little flakey when it comes to returning calls, and another visitor complained about a schizophrenic sales approach to the larger-scale model$.) Re Miguel's prices: they seem to be retail.

From your neighborhood, it's probably only 45 minutes. N on 680 from 580 to Sycamore Valley exit west, then into the toney Danville shopping complex.

Yes, Miguel is an owner or partner in some small tuning shop, which is next to or near Brian Crall's repair shop (Rifledriver in this forum).

David512

5. lukek

lukek Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2003
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    LK
    They seem to advertise in the FCA newsletter and host club parties, as well. I will be visiting a long time friend in Walnut Creek, so this should make a good lunch/ogling combo. Perhaps I can finally find out what size Piloti shoe I wear. And hey, if he can match ebay prices, I will buy them there.
    Thanks for the feedback.

thx
    luke

6. David512

David512 Formula 3

Dec 15, 2003
    Northern California
    If you're in WC, you could compare with Prestige Autohaus if prices are important. I just like the look of Miguel's store. I am not so sure of what he has in Pilotis. He's had a few shoes there, but not nearly as many as what you can find at Infineon. Now that I've praised Auto Affair, I hope it lives up to it. Infineon has a lot of things you will not find at Auto Affair. One thing about shoes and ebay is that you gotta try the shoes on.

7. david1175

david1175 Formula Junior

Jul 11, 2004
    in the doghouse
    Full Name:
    David
    It's a great shop! Excellent selection of models, memoribelia, etc. Prices are fair, much better shopping experience than other places in the area. Well worth the visit.
    They have opened a tuning shop in San Ramon for wheels, body kits, etc.

8. tvrfreak

tvrfreak F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Mar 31, 2003
    Arkansas
    Full Name:
    F K
    These days, it's actually tended to by Pablo, Miguel's son. They are trying to expand into service with the wheels/bodykit stuff, but I have only been to the shop in Danville. Merchandise is quite interesting, and varied. You won't waste your trip, but I don't know about prices. Seemed to be somewhat high-end to me, so prices are probably commensurate with that.

Pablo is a very nice guy.

9. exoticalex

exoticalex Formula Junior

Mar 10, 2004
    Walnut Creek, Ca
    Full Name:
    Alex L
    Definatly worth the trip! They have a great shop and the prices seem to be on track with high end shops, so its fair. Miguel and Pablo are awesome enthusiasts that more than willing to lend a helping hand to those who need it!

10. PeterS

PeterS Four Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2003
    Goodyear, AZ
    Full Name:
    PeterS
    I have not met Miguel or been to his shop, but have spoken to him many times because he had his car at Wayne's shop in Livermore living what myself, Rob and David went through with our cars at SR EXOTIC AUTOMOTIVE. Miguel seems like a pretty likable guy and I hope to meet him someday soon.

11. toddjw73

toddjw73 F1 Rookie

Feb 5, 2004
    Nor-Cal
    Full Name:
    Todd Westbrook
    I Bought The Hot Wheels Silver F355 Challenge Car Out @ Concorso Italiano From Them For $40 That I Usually See Go On Ebay For Double If Not More Than That. Very Fair Price I Thought. I Had Met Miguel A Fews Years Ago Before He Even Started The Store. I Met Him @ A Store In Pleasanton Called Carbuffs That I Frequint. It used To be The Store Inside Specialty Auto Sales That Has Since moved Down The Street Due To Unmentionable Reasons. Miguel Is A Very Nice Man. Spoke With him For A Few Minutes @ Concorso When I Saw Him With His Yellow 355, Which Was In Front Of Their Booth. Pablo Was Nice As Well. Miguel Is A Very Knowledgable Easy Going Guy. I Have Not Been To His Store Yet, But I Hope To Soon.

12. lukek

lukek Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2003
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    LK
    Car Buffs would be a good name for an Auto Detailing operation...
    :)

13. toddjw73

toddjw73 F1 Rookie

Feb 5, 2004
    Nor-Cal
    Full Name:
    Todd Westbrook

Carbuffs Is 1 Word. It Is A Store That Sells Mostly Diecast, But also Has A Descent Sellection Of Books & Magazines. Name Is Just About A Bunch Of Car Buffs/Enthusiests, Car Nut, Whatever You Want To Call It. Store Is Run by Richie Collins. The Guy Has A Lot Of Knowledge About Muscle Cars. Used To Restore Camaro's & The Like When He Lived In Michigan. That Is Where He Obviously Got The Car Thing From. Has A Degree In Automotive Design, But For Some Odd Reason Ended Up Working For Several Years For The Ritz-Carlton. He Also Sells Real Cars Out Of The Back Section Of His Store/Warehouse. Works As A Consultant For Welly Diecast. Does Ebay Consignment. The List Doesn't End. If You Want To Check His Sore Out, Here Is A Link: www.carbuffs.com
    I Actually Work Around The Corner, But I Have Been Going To His Store For About 6 Yrs or so Before I Got This Crappy Job.

14. toddjw73

toddjw73 F1 Rookie

Feb 5, 2004
    Nor-Cal
    Full Name:
    Todd Westbrook
    Now That I Look At My Reply, I Sound Like a Complet *******.

Sorry

15. Gary(SF)

Gary(SF) F1 Rookie

Oct 13, 2003
    Los Altos Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Gary B.
    Just one question...why all the caps?

Gary

16. lukek

lukek Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2003
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    LK
    in addition to cars and diecast stuff they seem to have a very cool selection of bikes and trikes...
    I love the streamlined model

17. toddjw73

toddjw73 F1 Rookie

Feb 5, 2004
    Nor-Cal
    Full Name:
    Todd Westbrook

Just A Bad Habit When Typing. Kinda Odd You Think?
    I Should Break The Habit Though.

18. toddjw73

toddjw73 F1 Rookie

Feb 5, 2004
    Nor-Cal
    Full Name:
    Todd Westbrook
    He Has Low Inventory On The Pedal Cars Right Now. However, He Is Able To Get Them Easily. He Used To Be A Distributor. But If You're Interested In Pedal Cars, He Will Be Selling Some Of His Personal Collection Of Descent To Very Nice Original Pedal Cars (But I Didn't Tell You That). He Also Has Some Descent Posters As Well.

19. Gary(SF)

Gary(SF) F1 Rookie

Oct 13, 2003
    Los Altos Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Gary B.
    That would be a great idea. I find the all-cap posts hard to read.

Gary

20. David512

David512 Formula 3

Dec 15, 2003
    Northern California
    Todd, have you considered that this might be symptomatic of an obsessive-compulsive disorder?