Any .NET experts here? | FerrariChat

Any .NET experts here?

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by rob lay, Aug 24, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    I'm applying for a consulting job that just uses these MS technologies. It's just as a BA, so I will only have to understand high level, but might be good to have a little talk with someone. Most of my enterprise development experience is with J2EE. If I get the gig I think I will build out a MS server with .NET and maybe write the Ferrari registry application with it to get the hang of everything. I've never even done ASP before, so I have much to learn. Thanks.

2. brendon0

brendon0 Formula Junior

Dec 13, 2003
    Tampa FL
    Full Name:
    Brendon
    Check your PM

3. Schatten

Schatten F1 World Champ
    Owner

Apr 3, 2001
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Randy
    Best of luck Rob. I have lots of asp experience, but unfortunately, very little in the .net world. Soon, I'll be diving in and creating an internal site, but not just yet.

4. Evolved

Evolved F1 Veteran

Nov 5, 2003
    The only reason .NET is a pain in the ass is that the learning materials for the .NET platform, well suck compared to the EXCELLENT J2EE publications and resources.

You'll probably find you use stored prodedures a lot more.

VISIO is torture for modeling.

Get this instead.

http://www.borland.com/together/viewlets.html

5. ashsimmonds

ashsimmonds F1 World Champ

Feb 14, 2004
    adelaide, australia
    Full Name:
    Humble Narrator
    if you already have a fundamental basis in programming, and web style stuff, then the transition to ASP won't be too hard.

in the various high-level languages and dialects i've had to pick up over time, the biggest difference between them has been syntax and what word means what. they can all be done in your own style and structure, it just a matter of knowing what functions you have available and what you have to create yourself.

IF and CASE and whatever fundamental methods are much the same across the board, so the major thing that has to be taken into account is how data is dealt with, and that's less of a programming language issue as it is about learning the idiosyncrasies of the data technology your messing with.

for me, the biggest hugest pain in the ass is the fact that no two languages deal with TIME and DATE fields in the same way, so i'm forever writing functions that convert back and forth, add to that no two databases use the same TIME and DATE structures, and you end up having to remember anywhere up to a dozen different methods for messing with the data.

i haven't done a great deal with .net as yet, but if you're doing ASP then start with .net as it's a large enough paradigm shift to make it not exactly easy to port existing code.

writing and implementing anything is easy, so long as your user does exactly what you want them to. 98% of programming is dealing with exceptions to the rules you've already set, called "bugs" by users. :(

6. ashsimmonds

Feb 14, 2004
    adelaide, australia
    Full Name:
    Humble Narrator
    oh, wot's a BA?

i can only think of Mr T. :D

7. mdoan300

mdoan300 Karting

Nov 14, 2003
    North Texas
    Full Name:
    Michael
    I made the transition from Visual C++/MFC to C#, VB.NET, and ASP.NET when there was next to no learning materials (.NET Beta 1). The transition really wasn't that bad. If you know Java, then C# is syntactically similar.

When you install the .NET Framework, it should also install some quickstart tutorials. ibuyspy.com used to be a Microsoft demo/tutorial site on implementing a .NET site, but it's currently a .NET portal.

The guys in the software dev dept are playing w/ VS.NET 2005 (codename: Whidbey). From what they tell me, ASP.NET 2.0 is a significant jump from ASP.NET 1.0 as ASP.NET 1.0 was from just ASP. Developing web apps in VS.NET 2005 requires even less manual coding!

I sent you a PM, Rob.

Michael.

Programmin's as easy as cut'n'paste code :)

8. djoex

djoex Karting

Dec 7, 2003
    Miami, Fl
    Full Name:
    Joe Yeung
    agree with all the points brought up here specially the lack of learning material. But after a while it just gets 'easier' in a way i would say.

9. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    BA = Business Analyst

Thanks for all the PM's, I was expecting the call back for a final by now, but they still haven't called. They called last Monday when I was in Cali for a final, but I was still out of town Thursday when they wanted the interview. Just my luck for the one vacation I took this year. :) I should get another chance at them. If I find out for sure I have the interview, then I'm going to hit the .NET stuff hard beforehand.

I agree about working with programming languages and environments, but companies like to see years of experience in THEIR flavor. A good programmer knows how to communicate, document, design, and develop. Really, it doesn't matter as much in what, if you have a ref book and a internet connection then you can get all the syntax info you need.

As a BA I really have to know that much less of syntax and a particular environment.

10. ashsimmonds

Feb 14, 2004
    adelaide, australia
    Full Name:
    Humble Narrator
    heh, i don't have any qualifications, but still managed to put together some decent stuff.

i'm a full-time student of Google University. :)

11. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Well, I heard today I will get another chance at the final interview. It won't be until later next week or the week after that and I might already have another job, but I might not either. They might be a little impressed if I can point them to a site using ASP/C# and whatever that I developed.

I'm going to call up now and get a MS server with everything I need to learn a little about .NET.

More info shortly.