gold or silver cad? | FerrariChat

gold or silver cad?

Discussion in '308/328' started by parkerfe, Aug 20, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    I have been thinking of refinishing the suspension on my 1982 BB512i. The control arms on mine appear to be silver cad with some gold cad hardware . However, when I dropped by TRutlands this morning to look at some new ones, the control arms there were gold cad, although some used ones they had were silver cad. As always, it is possible with Ferrari that they were gold cad plated one year and silver cad plated the next. Does any one have a definitive answer as to whether the control arms on a Boxer in 1982 were gold cad or silver cad? Any info will be appreciated.

2. GaryReed

GaryReed F1 Rookie

Feb 9, 2002
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Gary
    Frank,

I just checked under my car and took a picture. The upper control arms are still gold toned, but the lower ones have faded out to silver.

My car's suspension was total gone through by Continental Auto Sport in 1998, they removed the control arms, cleaned them up and installed new bushings and Konis all the way around.

Gary

3. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    I wonder if the gold color has just worn off the bttom ones due to road wear and rain whereas the top ones are less exposed and retain their gold color better?

4. GaryReed

GaryReed F1 Rookie

Feb 9, 2002
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Gary
    That would be my guess too.

5. atheyg

atheyg Guest

My car a '78 is silver toned on all 4 corners upper and lower.

6. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    On my 1982 both the upper and lower arms are silver too. I just received three more responses from other Boxer owners and two said theirs were silver cad and one said his was gold cad. So, as always Ferrari's consistancy seems to be its inconsistency.

7. sparetireless

sparetireless Formula 3

Nov 2, 2003
    Make sure to do a post bake to avoid embrittlement.

8. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    As I'm doing it for cosmetic reasons only, I will use the cad refinishing product from www.eastwoodco.com or Rub&Buff from my local hobby store. I have used both over the years in other Ferraris that I have owned and been well pleased. In fact, the gold cad calipers on my current Boxer was refinished with the Eastwood stuff in Dec 2002 and over 6k miles ago and still looks like new. If it will hold up on calipers with all that heat, it will be fine on control arms. I also refinished some silver and gold cad parts on my ex-330GTC with Rub&Buff years ago and even after several years it still looked like new. Plus, with Rub&Buff you can apply it with your fingers without removal of the parts from the car which makes it a very easy job.

9. GaryReed

GaryReed F1 Rookie

Feb 9, 2002
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Gary
    Frank,

Please post (w/ photos) when you finish the project.

I would to hear about the product/color you end up using and how it turned out.

Thanks!