Multi-Day Leaf Tour ? October 15-17 | FerrariChat

Multi-Day Leaf Tour ? October 15-17

Discussion in 'North & South Carolina' started by Ricambi America, Aug 24, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

After reading the terrific review of FChat European 2004 rally, I'm convinced we need a multi-day leaf viewing tour! Our goal is -civilized- travel, where our spouses wouldn't need motion-sickness bags, and radar detectors wouldn't be needed.

I'm happy to organize the event, but I'd like to see how many people are interested in this type of thing. Although it'll be crowded, we would use the Blue Ridge Parkway as our primary corridor. There are gazillions of terrific roads in Western North Carolina, and with some advance planning we can avoid the traffic.

(Jeremy Stafford: can you get us some nice routes in the area?)

Friday afternoon: meet in Winston-Salem for orientation, maps, etc.
    Friday drive: toward Boone or Blowing Rock. about 2.5 hours of driving
    Friday evening: I'm looking for cabin rentals/B&B type location which is "off the beaten path" and has secure parking, good views, etc. Anyone with ideas?

Saturday: from Blowing Rock to Asheville, via the Blue Ridge Parkway with stops/lunch along the way.
    Saturday evening: private event, Grove Park, Richmond Hill, or Biltmore Estate. (I'm partial to Richmond Hill because it's relatively secure and the accomodations are glorious. But it ain't cheap...)

Sunday: Tail of the Dragon, Black Mountain, or a simple drive back home...?

This would be a "pay as you go" event. I think a budget for the weekend (per car) would be something like $500.

Thoughts?

-Daniel

2. RedlineG60

RedlineG60 Formula 3

Dec 25, 2003
    Simpsonville, SC
    Full Name:
    Andy Thomason
    I think that's also the date of EuroFest at the BMW plant...just incase there was any wonder :)

3. L8Braker

L8Braker Formula 3

Nov 10, 2003
    Asheville NC
    Full Name:
    Jeremy Stafford
    We could always do a drive to eurofest if there is any interest....but it isn't the best thing to do when you have so many ferrari's together. They stay parked long enough during the week lets drive!

As far as routes we could do simple up 151-BRP-215-64-Hwy9 or BRP-down 276-up 215-BRP back to town moutain road. What do you think David? you've don'e about all these routes except the hwy 64-9 part which take you through chimney rock/lake lure which is a fun place. It all depends how long you want to be driving? I can do a 30 minute trip on up to 3 hours if you want. I really like going up 151 and then coming down 276 it is great simple ride.

Now that I have my video camera mount we can get some great footage of us cruising throught he leaves.

PS can anyone make this a sticky?

4. L8Braker

L8Braker Formula 3

Nov 10, 2003
    Asheville NC
    Full Name:
    Jeremy Stafford
    #4 L8Braker, Aug 25, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  5. L8Braker

L8Braker Formula 3

Nov 10, 2003
    Asheville NC
    Full Name:
    Jeremy Stafford
    #5 L8Braker, Aug 25, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  6. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

Tres cool. What software did that topo map? What's the total mileage of that route and elevation change?

-Daniel

7. L8Braker

L8Braker Formula 3

Nov 10, 2003
    Asheville NC
    Full Name:
    Jeremy Stafford
    Actually I found that topo pic of 151 awhile back, so I saved it. I think I found it on a bike riding site some where. You can just go to google and type in hwy 151 and see what pops up....kinda cool to see the roads like that.

151 probably has a 1000ft elevation change in about 5 miles(guessing on the mileage/elevation). The entire route is probably 100 miles total maybe more, but there are some great lookouts/views to see the leaves from. The routes are fun because you can enjoy your car at low speeds or you can always crank it up if desired.

8. rated///M

rated///M Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Trevor Ely
    Isn't Petit during this weekend?

9. L8Braker

L8Braker Formula 3

Nov 10, 2003
    Asheville NC
    Full Name:
    Jeremy Stafford
    uhhhhhh no! hahaha they changed it this year and the Petit-Lemans is sept 22-26th better go get your tickets and room! When are you guys going down Trevor?

10. bruceski3

bruceski3 Formula Junior

Feb 6, 2004
    East TN
    Full Name:
    Bruce
    If you are still planning on this in October or even next year then check out Chetola Resort in Blowing Rock NC. http://www.chetola.com/. It also has "HDTV" in all rooms.
    Stop by Daniel Boone Inn for a nice Dinner of Country Cooking and they keep bringing the food out as much as you want. Anytime that I go to Boone NC I drive up 421 which usually takes 2-2.5 hours. Take a left onto Bamboo Road near Exxon just before Boone City limits, take a right onto Wilson Ridge Road and then right to Deerfield Park and Golf Course into the city limits. Its a Nice scenic route and it isn't that congested at all. George Hayes road is a nice windy road but im afraid of pedestrians walking the road or wagons with Horses riding along.
    Once your in Boone take 105 south towards Banner Elk and Linville NC to Broadstone Rd i think and go toward Valle crucis which is a nice drive and stop by the Mast General Store if you get a chance. Also the Annex building is nice with a deli , clothing area and the Original Candy Barrel Store downstairs (Hehehe I need to be a tour guide lol).
    Then you can drive the roads which there are many to choose from including 184 from Banner Elk to the top of Beech Mountain (which i think they used to have a race once a year there up the mountain). Rte 194, 276, BRP - Blue ridge parkway, 181, 286, 221 and more. Hook me up with a fairly decent 328 by early next year and i'll be able to go on meets since this little honda i own wouldn't make it back in one piece.
    As for the Asheville area refer to Jeremy since he knows the area and lives there. Here is one place to keep in mind for the low ballers http://www.cataloochee-ranch.com. Its not that cheap which a cabin runs around $175-210. The Cabins hold a lot of people and its pretty big. On second thought I think Grove Park inn might be a better choice. Anyways im done babbling today. I know i can't make it to any of the drive meets this year since all the big events are going to be in Greensboro and im the main one on call since im "The Manager".
    Also Daniel I finally got to drive on Rte 8, 89 and a few other ones including 66 which is really curvy. Rte 66 was one of the best and I took a quick ride up to Hanging Rock which has a nice backdrop for pictures if anyone feels like it. Anyways if you need any info on roads and where to avoid "the Smokey Bears (wink wink cops)" then i can show some pointers. Peace

11. rated///M

rated///M Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Trevor Ely
    May try to make it up there with my dad, we're only an hour away from Blowing Rock, and am always up for some nice roads.

Any word on if 221 and some other roads are all still good though? Heard that Francis, and a few other, beat on those twisties...

12. Morrie

Morrie Karting

Nov 4, 2003
    Sarasota/Asheville
    I just skimmed the above thread, and don't know if this was mentioned. You can't get to Asheville from Blowing Rock now. There is a section of the Parkway washed out north of Mt. Mitchell and it may take a year to repair. There are several other areas washed out as well. The Parkway is closed south of Mt. Pisgah and in a few other locations but I'm not sure where.

As of a few days ago, 221 north to blowing rock was out at Linville Falls. I tried to get up Rte 80 to the Parkway and found it closed. I don't know if the lodges at Little Switzerland are open or reachable.

The roads around here have been torn to hell and there may nbe more to come from the approaching tropical storm.

I'm good for a leaf drive, but we ought to count on some detours.

13. L8Braker

L8Braker Formula 3

Nov 10, 2003
    Asheville NC
    Full Name:
    Jeremy Stafford
    Morrie is right! I think we should do a pre meet road test. Wanna meet up one day morrie and take a drive to see where would be good? If so let me know or shoot me an email. If you see my black CLK 430 with xenons and tag "L8 brakr" stop by and say whats up!

I saw a red 308 the other day headed down H-ville rd, but I think it was someone I know already. This one was a bit dirty....I'm sure yours is clean!

Cya
    Jeremy

PS I think David may be interested in bringing up his 348 if we do this.

14. DrStranglove

DrStranglove FChat Assassin
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Google Maps
    Full Name:
    DrS
    Well..... if my car ever gets fixed....

15. Morrie

Morrie Karting

Nov 4, 2003
    Sarasota/Asheville
    Jeremy,

I don't know if you got my PM. The 308QV is getting a major service and won't arrive here for a couple weeks. If you see a lowered silver Miata with a hardtop and rollbar, or a red BMW motorcycle with silver pin stripes, flash your lights at me.

I'm open next week to do a checkout run. Send me a PM if you're available.

Cheers,

Morrie