308 16 inch Split Rims | FerrariChat

308 16 inch Split Rims

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by stevew, Aug 24, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. stevew

stevew Formula 3

Jun 9, 2002
    uk
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I have the opportunity to get some 16 inch Compomotive Split Rims for my QV.They are the usual 7x16(with 205's) front and 8x16 rears (with 225's).The previous owner had them fitted to his GT4,therefore my questions are:-

1. Is there any clearance/offset issues if fitting to a QV.
    2. Can the std wheel bolts be used.

Thanks

Steve

2. johnb@macarbon

johnb@macarbon Formula Junior

Feb 24, 2004
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    John Borchelt
    Those were the ones on eBay right? I saw they were in Austrailia and bid for them for a while. They'll look preety cool on the car. They seller said they should fit but to be honest I can't help on that. I was just regretting not having tried harder to get them and am curious to see how they worked out.

john

3. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Should be the same for off set and bolts. But with a wheel like that, you never know. He should be able to tell you definitively by checking to see what is stamped on the wheel or measuring the offset. Same with the hub, the depth can be measured.

4. pma1010

pma1010 F1 Rookie

Jul 21, 2002
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Philip
    FYI, I run BBS wheels on the track rubber and the standard bolts do not fit. That said, a good nut and bolt supply house will be able to get you what you need if the OEM wheel bolts do not fit.
    Philip

5. Mule

Mule F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2003
    Alaska
    Full Name:
    Mule
    The Compomotive wheels do not use standard bolts. The hole in the wheel has a different shape and the bolts' heads are also too tall for the wheel covers (center caps). www.usacomp.com has the proper bolts for the wheels or the seller should sell the bolts with the wheels (he shouldn't need them if he sells the wheels).

I know from experience. I am sorry that I do not know if they will fit your car; mine were made for my car specifically.

6. stevew

stevew Formula 3

Jun 9, 2002
    uk
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Thanks guys.Been in touch with Compomotive and it seems that they are right for the car and the std bolts fit.Going to check them out tomorrow so will find out for sure.
    BTW they are not the ones off ebay,I'm in the UK.

thanks again

Steve

7. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    My BBSs have a special set of bolts, same for my 16" Etoiles.

They neither one use stock bolts, allthough I've never tried that.

I use stock bolts with the 14" sets.....

8. Mule

Mule F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2003
    Alaska
    Full Name:
    Mule
    Steve,
    Be cautious. I have Compomotive wheels and the standard bolts (on a 328) do not work. They are the TS model (look like a GTO or F40 wheel).

9. stevew

stevew Formula 3

Jun 9, 2002
    uk
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Mule

They are the TS style,exact same as yours.The guy at Compomotive did say that if the std bolts didn't fit,they would be able to supply a suitable bolt.
    Thanks again.

Steve

10. miked

miked Formula Junior

Feb 7, 2001
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    My GT4 has Compomotive wheels that were installed by the PO. They use the std. Ferrari wheel bolts and I don't have any clearence problems with the "hubcap". The bolt holes in the wheel have a "pressed in" steel insert to which the bolts should be matched for diameter and for the slope of the bevel of the mating surface. Perhaps the "inserts" are specified to a particular application when the wheel is built.

The wheels are of very high quality and I have had no air leakage issues that sometimes happen with 3 piece wheels. My only complaint is cleaning around all those small nuts. It helps to use a dry soft paint brush to "brush away" as much brake dust as posible after driving the car.