87 Mondial - How do I take the center console apart? Please help!! | FerrariChat

87 Mondial - How do I take the center console apart? Please help!!

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Crony, Aug 22, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Crony

Crony Rookie

Jul 14, 2004
    Canada
    I have to get at all of my heating switches that are not working.

2. KKSBA

KKSBA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    SBarbara-La Jolla CA
    Full Name:
    KKSBA
    Pull your ashtray out, and remove the screws beneath it. Remove the screws around the shift gate and you can then pop the whole center panel up.

I just did this the other day...

3. Marc Kresmery

Aug 8, 2004
    Elgin Illinois
    Full Name:
    Marc Kresmery
    If you find any info on the heat/AC/vent system could you please pass it on to me, I have been looking for a wiring diagram & a service manual for the heating system, with out any luck for my 1988 also.

Thanks Marc

4. KKSBA

KKSBA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    SBarbara-La Jolla CA
    Full Name:
    KKSBA
    I forgot to add that you need to take two screws out of the rear storage space that is on the center console.

Some random info related to your questions:

The push buttons are pneumatic that are tied with rubber air hoses into the car's dash to control the various diverter flaps to send air where you want it.

The fan switch module is much bigger (below the panel) then you would think. It has a potentiometer to control fan speed and then a microswitch at max travel that does a direct connect between power and fan so you get the highest fan speed.

The fan speed and temperature knobs have small allen head screws that hold them on with a small hole in the knob's side for access.

Panel lighting is done via fiber optic cable leading from a central light bulb, you can un-strap the fiber optic ends from the center console panel as you pull it up.

If your heater/AC is completely inop (no fan) always check the fuse box FIRST, and the connectors to the fuse box. There is a typical overload situation that causes the connectors to melt and/or the fusebox connections also.

Give more info as to your exact problems, and we can probably save a little time for you.

Cheers.

5. Crony

Crony Rookie

Jul 14, 2004
    Canada
    I have nothing; no fan, no heat, no a/c.

6. KKSBA

KKSBA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    SBarbara-La Jolla CA
    Full Name:
    KKSBA
    Check your fusebox fuses for the AC and fan's (AC plant). Check the relays (swap with other systems). And check the right side power connector to the fusebox for melting of any pins in the lower group. Spray some contact cleaner if you don't see melting. If you have melting, try to clean it up as best you can and order a new connector with new pins.

Your blower fan should operate independent of AC or heat. If you have good fuses, relays, and fusebox connectors, there is a power transistor, blower motor, or the actual fan speed controller that could be at fault. You will have to pull the console and test the fan controller, the transistor is mounted to the evaporator near the fan, I believe. Do an archive search to be sure.