Official Monterey 2004 Write-up and Pics Thread... | Page 19 | FerrariChat

Official Monterey 2004 Write-up and Pics Thread...

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by rob lay, Aug 11, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    Nice videos!!

This set includes the (non-Ferrari) best of marque winners (including Best Motorcycle) and a guest appearance by an F187 F1 car, whose engine was fired up on the podium for everyone's enjoyment. The Bizzarrini, by the way, was Best In Show. (I couldn't wait around for the Ferrari awards later; hopefully someone else will cover that.)

2. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Jim, is that John Houghtaling's red Countach going up for an award...?

3. Fan512bbi

Fan512bbi Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2004
    Wales-UK
    Full Name:
    Steve.
    Hi mate, the owner of this Countach is a member here, his name is Ralph-username TiAmolVeloce, hope it helps you.

Steve.

4. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    Taken Saturday morning in the Laguna Seca paddock, including a BRM, a Pooper (!), a MiniMoke, an Indy Roadster and a woody wagon!

Can someone tell me the story of the GTOs in the first photo? They have the roofline of the prototype but otherwise look like other GTOs.

5. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    This one deserves a post of its own. I didn't realize it until I saw the developed photos, but this is the car considered to be the 250 GTO prototype, #2643GT. I had never seen it in blue before, but I have seen black & white photos of it carrying race number 12.

What makes it particularly noteworthy to me is that it was once owned by Bob Taylor, the fellow who sold me my 328!

6. Cris

Cris Karting

Jul 27, 2004
    Vermont
    "Can someone tell me the story of the GTOs in the first photo? They have the roofline of the prototype but otherwise look like other GTOs."

They're actually 330 LMB's, not GTO's...bigger engines, etc. I believe four were made, three of which were raced.

7. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    Ah, yes, you're right. Thank you for that.

And to think, half of the total production is there in that one photograph.....

8. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    3 or 4 is correct. The 330 LMB had a 4.0 liter.

The Jay Koka print of it is very nice.

The hood bulge is a little higher....that's the clue...

9. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    There were four 330 LM "B"'s made. All in 1963.

10. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    First of all, I want to know if anyone is paying attention to my photo posts. The lack of response is deafening. I enjoyed taking the photos and posting them, but it does involve some work and if no one out there cares, I'll stop.

Anyway, this bunch includes some interesting Lancias and even a Scarab F1 car!

11. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    FANTASTIC!!!

12. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Yep keep them coming ... the silence is just us trying to take it all in ;)

Pete

13. adeseta

adeseta Rookie

Feb 6, 2004
    Jimpern-I am enjoying seeing your photos! And I do thank you and all the people who have gone to the effort and taken the time to fill us in on the fantastic gathering this year. Don`t want to seem greedy, but I`m always ready to see more Pebble- Laguna photos.

14. vincent355

vincent355 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 8, 2003
    Wine Country
    Full Name:
    Vincent
    keep going, we're still paying attention. How about some more of the different marques and pre 65 if possible.

thanks,

15. RacerX_GTO

RacerX_GTO F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Gabe V.
    The true "Ferraristi" could be summed up in Pebble Beach and FCA at Quail.

16. Old Guy

Old Guy Formula Junior
    Honorary

Dec 1, 2003
    No longer here
    #26 in the photo is chassis 4713, a 250 GTO bodied in an LMB style. It, and the 330 LMB in the background, belong to the same owner, Tony Wang, whose wife crashed her GTO on Thursday. There were indeed three "racing" 330 LMBs built, one "street/racing style" 330 LMB, and the 250 GTO/LMB.

17. TipoPendleton

TipoPendleton Rookie

Mar 2, 2004
    Hancock Park, L.A.
    Full Name:
    Pen Pendleton
    #467 TipoPendleton, Aug 26, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I was the guy who put the 34-year old 4000 lb car on the track. But hell, there were so many damn 8-cylinder guys there, we had to get at least a couple vintage 12's on the tarmac! (Yeah, I know there were some other guys there with some pretty damn fine 12 cylinder cars, but most of them were real sports/dual purpose cars, but it takes a real man to run a 2 +2!!! Hell, I passed a couple 308s and even a rather tentative 360 Spyder!).

Anyway, what a great time. These pics show (1) the famous 1962 330 TRI/LM with a custom rear-view mirror holders. (2) Same car at Pebble. I loved that the crazy-ass owner drove the $6MM car in the FCA rally, dodging tractors in Salinas Valley with the rest of us. (3) "There is no Second." (4) A shot of my favorite street registered car in the world. (5) And Art (who I had never met before in my life) was gracious enough to suggest that I snap a shot of his F-50GT's serial number as this was - hopefully! - the last time it would be so exposed. A true racer, he was just ready to get back on the track asap. (6) Art's car sporting new weight saving bodywork. (7) Steve Tiillack's amazing group of cars, including the Drogo 250GT (8) Shot of the FCA Rally start line. (9) Nut-case 365GT owner obviously deluded that the snazzy number plate has turned his car into a 250LM. (10) A shot of one Dave Heath's garage with his F-40, F-50 and Enzo. Apparently he was dissapointed that his 288GTO couldn't make the trip. My heart bleeds for you Dave! Good on you for driving them as they were meant to be driven. Do you need an adopted son?

Like most of us, I got a lot of great shots over the week. I'll post some more if anybody is not already overwhelmed.

Thanks to all of you who helped make this a fantastic experience, and my garage neighbor, Steve Hill, cool-cat 288 owner who epitomized the easy and instant camaraderie so unique among real car people.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

18. Erik330

Erik330 Formula Junior

May 8, 2004
    Ohio
    Absolutely fantastic photos.

I am shocked, however, that no one has posted a photo of the dark blue alloy 250 SWB California Spyder. I think it's one of the most beautiful cars ever built.

19. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    If it's the car I'm thinking of, it will probably be in the next batch that I post. I'll be away for the weekend, so look for it Monday.

20. CYB

CYB Karting

Jan 11, 2003
    Dallas
    Full Name:
    Chris Burch
  21. coolestkidever

coolestkidever F1 Veteran

Feb 28, 2004
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    What is that last car?

22. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ
    Staff Member Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    Been called many things but, according to Pininfarina, it's officially the "Coupe Ferrari 3 Posti 'Le Mans' 365/P - Guida Centrale." Chassis number of this particular example is 8971 and only one other exists, chassis 8815. Here are a few more photos to give you a better idea of what the car looks like (taken in Carmel, 2001):

23. zjpj

zjpj F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    USA
    It's the 365 P Pininfarina Speciale (s/n 8971). As you can see, it's a 3-seater, and it uses a mid-engined 4.4 liter V12. The other one (2 were made) is s/n 8815.

24. coolestkidever

coolestkidever F1 Veteran

Feb 28, 2004
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    I like it, its like a huge 246, thanks wayne and zjpj