360 "CHECK ENGINE LIGHTS" on, I've check the archives and NEED YOUR HELP !!!!!!!!!!! | FerrariChat

360 "CHECK ENGINE LIGHTS" on, I've check the archives and NEED YOUR HELP !!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Jimmy540i, Aug 24, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Jimmy540i

Jimmy540i Formula 3
    BANNED

Jan 11, 2004
    Los Angeles / NYC
    Full Name:
    www.Jimmy540i.com
    2003 Production 360 Six-Speed here need your help. Anyone knows where the connector for the OBDII is?

My Check-Engine-Lights (CEL) just went on during driving.

This is the 2nd time this had happened, the 1st time was 2 months ago and I realized car performs "Weak", I then turn off the ignition and the light went away after I restart the car.

This time the CEL went on when I was driving and the engine performs as good as usual.

I have checked the Archives and I have done the following:

1. Turned off / on the battery switch
    2. Tighten my fuel cap

And the CEL is still on (not flashing, just on consistently). Can I get more pointer about this?

A friend of mine has a tool which can detect the fault. However, he needs to know where the connector for the OBDII is. Does anyone know?

What do you think most likely to be the cause of this? Tubi Exhaust? Bad Connector? Bad 02 sensor? Or is it my engine is about to explode?

Need your words of wisdom. Thank you all in advance.

JIMMY

2. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall

OBD Connection is under the dash on the drivers side next to the steering column. An SD2 can give LOTS more information than a scanner so before you start throwing parts at it have it checked by someone with an SD2. If it's an 03 it is still under warranty so take it to the dealer and let it be their problem. You shouldn't cloud up the issue by trying to do it yourself. And to guess at a diagnosis from long range is pointless, on the right bank alone there are 8 pages of items that the SD2 reads that can set a check engine light.

3. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    What he said...This is the best thing to do. So many different things can cause the light to come on, best to have a complete system check,rather then just what the OBD11 system can give info for.

4. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Oh by the way, if you ever have a check engine light come on, don't turn the battery off. You can erase the error and if it doesn't come back right away it will be impossible diagnose. You want to give the dealer a chance to correct it the first time.

5. Jimmy540i

Jimmy540i Formula 3
    BANNED

Jan 11, 2004
    Los Angeles / NYC
    Full Name:
    www.Jimmy540i.com

Thank you, I just start up the car again and the CEL is still on (just on, NOT flashing)

I will call the dealer tomorrow and pay them a visit. You think problem could be solved while I wait?

6. becker

becker Formula Junior

Feb 20, 2001
    Arlington VA
    Full Name:
    Becker Cuéllar
    Restetting/Reading the codes is just a drive thru, but once you get the readings they have to figure out what triggered. The SD2 will certainly give a lot more info I've been playing with a home-made OBD reader on the 360 and the info you get there is a very small subset and very basic and if you reset it via the OBD scanner(code 03/mode 01 I think) it will erase some of the stuff that the SD2 can use to do a better diagnostics, let them do it.

Cheers

7. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall

NO

8. SrfCity

SrfCity F1 World Champ

Proabably a bad O2 sensor. That's what happened to me

9. Jimmy540i

Jimmy540i Formula 3
    BANNED

Jan 11, 2004
    Los Angeles / NYC
    Full Name:
    www.Jimmy540i.com

Where did you take the car to get fixed? How long does it take? Under warranty?

10. 4i2fly

4i2fly Formula 3

Apr 16, 2004
    SF, Bay Area
    Jimmy,

I know you are looking for a simple answer to your problem, and there may be one. Unless you take it in to the dealer it will continue to bug you. And CEL is a b!ch with the 360s. Some are simpler to diagnose than others, and some are more complicated. I'd say this because there have been other members with loss of power and CEL issue that were not diagnosed easily and the root cause turned out to be some grounding issue. The SDII stuff is not a slam-dunk. It provides some guidance but that's about it. I have my car in because SDII reported knock sensor problem and after a few hours of diagnosis and repair and the root cause is still at large. You should get used to the idea of parting with your car...It is painful but you get used to it. It's for good cause.

Cheers,
    Matt

11. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Or just buy TWO!! :)

That's what I did........LOL!

12. damcgee

damcgee Formula 3

Feb 23, 2003
    Mobile, AL
    Isn't it still under Warranty?? How close is the dealer? It's not your daily driver, right?

13. SrfCity

SrfCity F1 World Champ

FoOC, left it a day and was under warranty.

14. GoFerrari28

GoFerrari28 Formula 3

Jun 16, 2004
    Ridgemont, CA
    Full Name:
    Jeff Spicoli
    Eve if you tighten your fuel cap, it takes 40 heat cycles through the engine for the light to go off. That is what happened to me a year ago, and the fellows at FoSF informed me of the heat cycle deal.

15. 4i2fly

4i2fly Formula 3

Apr 16, 2004
    SF, Bay Area
    40 heat cycle? The new guy told me three! Is this a joke? How can you keep up with 40 cycles, I think after a few you are bound to lose count. LOL.

16. 911Fan

911Fan Formula 3

Apr 15, 2004
    Southern California

40 heat cycles? That's like 3 years worth of driving for the typical Ferrari! :)

17. Jimmy540i

Jimmy540i Formula 3
    BANNED

Jan 11, 2004
    Los Angeles / NYC
    Full Name:
    www.Jimmy540i.com
    K guys, I have started the car for the past 18 hours, just stated and the "CHECK-ENGINE-LIGHTS" was gone....

Any pointer to this? Would the ECL come back?

I'm going to take it for a spin and see what happends, and the car is going back to the dealer on Monday.

18. Izza

Izza Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    London
    I had similar problem. Light came on - no performance reduction and no flashing.

Dealers used SD2 to clear it but that was just symptomatic it returned after a few months. It helped if I made sure the 'Check OK' light had come and go before turning ignition fully. After numerous heat cycles it went out but did return. Frequency for it to return got less and less.

I had the O2 sensors changed and that worked for a long time (9 months) before appearing again. I have now changed ECU's and that has cleared it - also given me 40 extra hp and a very enthusiastic throttle!