Z06 or Viper | FerrariChat

Z06 or Viper

Discussion in 'California (Southern)' started by PatrickShim, Aug 24, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. PatrickShim

PatrickShim Formula 3

Jun 14, 2004
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Patrick Shim
    Anyone in So. Cal. area with a Z06 or a Viper ('00 or later) for sale?

2. Z06Kal

Z06Kal Karting

Nov 5, 2003
    You just missed out I sold my z06 yesterday it was beyond immaculate.

3. s4dustin

s4dustin F1 Rookie

Jan 26, 2004
    one of my close friends is GSM out at dodge in ventura......he may be able to do something?

4. Z06Kal

Z06Kal Karting

Nov 5, 2003
    If you want the pro's con's of both cars let me know. I have a couple of friends that owned/have owned vipers and I've rented a few before.

5. PatrickShim

PatrickShim Formula 3

Jun 14, 2004
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Patrick Shim
    Yeah, let me know what you thing pros and cons of those two cars. Also what years are good for the Vipers?

Thanks.

Patrick

* P.S.: Also is Z06 better choice? or the new C6 Vette?

6. zsnnf

zsnnf Formula 3

Sep 11, 2003

Why did you sell it? Got an F car lined up?

Rick

7. Buttuz4eva

Buttuz4eva F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Dec 14, 2003
    LONG ISLAND N.Y.
    Full Name:
    Challenge Farrelle
  8. PatrickShim

PatrickShim Formula 3

Jun 14, 2004
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Patrick Shim
    I got to see two new cars today (that are not out yet) - the new Porsche 997 Carrera S & the new Corvette C6. Both are pretty nice....

So from the following choices (price ranges between $53k~$68k), what do you think is the best?

- Corvette C5 Z06 (new/used)
    - Corvette C6
    - Porsche 996 Carrera 4 (used)
    - Porsche 997 Carrera
    - Dodge Viper (used)

9. LAfun2

LAfun2 Three Time F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Ryan

Patrick,

I think its hard to say which is a good car. The ones you listed are all good cars, but it is what you are looking for that matters. Is this your daily driver? Is this your weekend car? Do you care about maintenance cost? Are you going to keep it 1-2 years or a longer period of time? Do you need a back seat? Do you go on canyon runs, or do you like straight line performance?

THere are too many factors to decide, before I can make a suggestion. Personally, looking at your location, I would say get a Viper. 996/corvettes are dime a dozen. 997 Carrera will be all over So Cal in a little bit, as everyone will trade their 996s. Thus I say, if exclusivity is a concern, get a Viper. Granted, even in So cal, its not that rare, but its rarer than the other cars, and offers a brute force that can't be matched imo, stock for stock.

Also contact fellow F chatter, Brad, his name is Viper_10 I believe on this board. Great guy, viper owner, and very knowledgeable.

10. MarkPDX

MarkPDX F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Apr 21, 2003
    Gulf Coast
    If you don't mind shopping around you will can probably find a new Viper pretty close to your price range. When I was shopping around for a car in June the local dealer (Gunn Dodge in Universal City, TX) had a silver one for $69k.

11. 150shot

150shot Formula Junior

Jun 15, 2003
    San Dimas, CA
    Pat- there is a killer 2000 or so GTS in the autotrader right now. Red w/silver stripes , w/ extended warranty till 07. Cant go wrong and cheap , I wish I had the $$..in the low 50's...check it out.

12. PatrickShim

PatrickShim Formula 3

Jun 14, 2004
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Patrick Shim
    Thanks guys.... Yeah, it's gonna be a semi-daily driver (2~3 days a week), and need something with some warranty left.

I am gonna check out the new 997 Carrera again at the unveiling event at the Circle Porsche in Long Beach this Saturday. It's really tough to compare Porsche with others (Corvettes and Vipers), since they are totally DIFFERENT types of sportscars... but I can only buy one right now. :)

Again, thank you guys for all the inputs!

13. Bmyth-FDC

Bmyth-FDC F1 Rookie

Oct 4, 2002
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Byron
    Patrick,
    I think you'll be better off going to sixspeedonline or a viper forum to ask about owner feedback... you'll get more accurate feedback that way. In the price range you were asking about, the better question on this particular forum might be to choose from the following cars:

TR
    Mondial
    ... just to name a few.

B.

14. 93cobra

93cobra Rookie

May 24, 2004
    I had both a 02 Z06 and a 98 GTS Viper. Tottaly different animals. I believe the Viper is a race car period. I am talking about the GTS not an R/T (vert).
    There is really nothing out there that can beat you in a 96 up Viper unless its an expensive F care or GT3 Porsche etc. Of course there are a few others but my point is that you really get allot of car for the money if you get a GTS Viper. Dont expect it to have the attention to detail as far as the interior goes compared to a Porsche or F car. But trust me, when you get on it that will be the last thing you care about.

The Z06 on the other hand is a daily driver. Its comfortable and hauls **s if you want it to. Its also dependable but you do not get the Viper exclusivity.
    If you are looking to drive it everyday, get the Z06. Just my .02

15. Jared

Jared Rookie

Apr 24, 2004
  16. Wasabe

Wasabe Formula Junior

Dec 16, 2003
    Santa Monica
    Full Name:
    Jennifer
    I'm sorry... I'm just stuck on a person wanting to buy a Viper. Why would anyone want to confess to wanting to buy a domestic sports car on F-Chat? :D:D:D

Vipers are not attractive. If you want a domestic... go for a Vette.