Advise: would you hire your Ferrari for a corporate day? | FerrariChat

Advise: would you hire your Ferrari for a corporate day?

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by CharlieUK, Aug 25, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. CharlieUK

CharlieUK Karting

Jun 30, 2004
    London
    Full Name:
    Charlie
    Would love some feedback/ advice please.

I have been approached by a company to hire my 355 for a corporate day (for a banking client) @ Silverstone. My car will be used as follows:

- There will be 25 people going through my 355 over a 5 hour period. (3 hrs in morning (with 10 min break per hour) and 2 hours in afternoon (with 10 min break per hour). ie my 355 will be running for 4 hrs, 10 mins.
    - In total my 355 will do 75-100 laps (ie 3-4 laps per person) of the Silverstone GP circuit.
    - The circuit is 3.2 miles long, therefore 75 laps x 3.2 miles= 240 miles and 100 laps x 3.2 miles= 320 miles. Say on average 280 miles.

The company I have been approached by will provide an instructor to be in the car at all times, cover fuel and insurance.

I take the car to Silverstone, be there all day and bring the car back again.

They have offered me £1300. What do you think?

2. GrahamS

GrahamS F1 Veteran
    BANNED

May 29, 2004
    24 hours from Tulsa
    Full Name:
    Grandmaster G
    Bearing in mind it's going to be thrashed for 4 hours solid I wouldn't think £1300 is anywhere near enough compensation to sort out any possible problems.

You can probably budget £500 of that straight away for some new back tyres.

That leaves you £800 to sort out anything else which isn't nearly enough.

I'd tell em to stick it

3. tonyh

tonyh F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 23, 2002
    S W London
    Full Name:
    Tony H
    Not a chance. 100 track laps is very hard on a car . Manifolds are £1.3 k a side to replace, 2 new rear tyres will be £400 , your brake discs are at risk of warping & pads will be shot to pieces.There's way too much chance of an inexperienced driver causing damage to your engine or worse, stacking the car.

4. RAY430RED

RAY430RED Formula 3

Nov 1, 2003
    Marlborough Wilts
    Full Name:
    Ray F
    Charlie you must be raving bonkers even thinking about it That would just about cover wear and tear and expeneses What about if one of those guys buzzes the engine (changing down from fifth to secend at high revs )or blows it up No instructer being in the car could prevent that There is no amount of money that would make me share any of my cars with twenty five people that have never driven a Ferrari before ,or come to that even if they had

RAY360M

5. CharlieUK

CharlieUK Karting

Jun 30, 2004
    London
    Full Name:
    Charlie
    Thanks guys. I am in total agreement with you all. Even if it was say £2000, the money sounds tempting, but no way.

As I have been approached, just wanted to hear your feedback. Also in case anyone else on Fchat is approached to hire their 355, then they have all the facts.

6. Spyder-Man

Spyder-Man Formula 3

May 11, 2004
    UK
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Charlie, Nooooooooooooooooooooooooo ! don't do it ! ! ! !

You might as well load 5 of the chambers in a .357 magnum and play Russian roulette!

You can't love your car that much if you even consider this! 25 total nutters in your pride and joy.

Have you ever had a hire car on holiday? Did you not thrash it to within an inch of it's life ?

I rest my case m'lud. .. . .

R

7. basher

basher Karting

Jan 19, 2004
    Full Name:
    Fraser B
    Trust me - its a no go

I do a fair amount of track stuff adn £1300 does not cover you enough

I gurantee your brake pads will go, (they tend to smoke after a few hard laps) disks might warp, tyres will be chewed up, stone chips galore and that is if it is lucky enough to stay on the black stuff...some munson is bound to get a little overexcited adn might take an excursion off road .....

10 mins rest every hour is not enough....cats will prob be red hot all day adn therefore manifold stress could lead to cracking ....

I can go on and on but you get the idea......

I know what i am doing on a track (be quiet Tony!!) and my last excursion saw new brake pads needed, new front tyres, a apint job adn a dent removed from clipping a cone.....

Forget it mate.....tell em to get one of their own.....and the reason they wont is the same as the list i have just typed out !!!!

Regards

8. noony

noony F1 Veteran

Nov 25, 2003
    Seoul
    Full Name:
    Johnathan
    Pads will be gone tyres gone possibly clutch and a good chance of bodywork damage

9. LetsJet

LetsJet F1 Veteran
    Owner

May 24, 2004
    DC/LA/Paris/Haleiwa
    Full Name:
    Mr.
    Why don't you suggest 3000.00 plus any repairs for damage?

10. stevetr

stevetr Formula Junior

Sep 29, 2003
    Surrey, UK
    Full Name:
    Stephen
    Sorry, couldn't resist:

:)

11. kenyon

kenyon F1 Rookie

Oct 7, 2002
    East Yorkshire
    Full Name:
    Justin Kenyon
    £7500 plus any damage or repairs...

12. AHMTHSSN

AHMTHSSN Karting

Apr 16, 2004
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    AH
    If it was my own Ferrari then NO.

I worked for a garage that hired Ferrari's for such occasions and I use to take the cars and stay there to watch that the cars didn't get abused (there had been a couple of times when the tyres and brakes were compeletely sh*gged making the cars undriveable).

You will need to fit track day pads as the standard ones will probably overheat and the the pedal will almost cetainly feel "spongy" at the end of the day.

It also depends on the instructor in your car. Some don't let the drivers go over a certain rev range and some let the drivers do whatever they want.

13. jeffQV

jeffQV F1 Rookie

Feb 13, 2004
    NZ
    Full Name:
    jeff
    in a word......no!

14. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Sure...each male driver would have to turn over the wife or gf as collateral.

While they have their way with your car, well...........;)

15. matkat

matkat Formula 3

Mar 18, 2003
    Scotland
    Full Name:
    Dave McGuire
    10k plus they pay for ANYTHING that needs fixed in the 3 months after the event.

16. Ade

Ade Formula 3

Jan 31, 2004
    UK
    I'd hire out a girlfriend for that price, no problems :) ..... !

For the Motor.... ummmmm 10K would sell it to me.

17. HectorZauss

HectorZauss Guest

Aug 17, 2004
    Hampshire
    I wouldn't be tempted at any price. Just think of the way you treated your last hire car - then multiply the abuse factor a few times and that's the punishment your car will get.
    Its the same with hiring out to film companies - forget it.

18. ferrari355gtb

ferrari355gtb Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    UK
    Full Name:
    R
    Anyone ever hired a car and taken it on a track day ?

19. 360CS

360CS F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Kent
    Full Name:
    Joe J

Charlie,

Its a good idea, good plan with a high miler which can be thrashed and kept running on a beer plan/not champers.....

Looking forward to seeing the new car...

Enjoy the ride

20. Dem

Dem Formula 3

Mar 21, 2004
    London
    Full Name:
    Dem
    Must be kidding!

Just ask any self respecting company car driver how many times he / she bothers using the clutch pedal when changing gear in a manual transmission car. Now consider that driver in your car on a track........ Mmmmmm.....

21. 360CS

360CS F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Kent
    Full Name:
    Joe J

Your kidding right??? :)

22. noony

noony F1 Veteran

Nov 25, 2003
    Seoul
    Full Name: