ENTRY LEVEL BUYER FOR A TR NEEDS HELP! | FerrariChat

ENTRY LEVEL BUYER FOR A TR NEEDS HELP!

Discussion in 'Canada' started by TODDZTR, Aug 26, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TODDZTR

TODDZTR Karting

Aug 26, 2004
    near toronto
    Full Name:
    TODD
    HELLO EVERYONE,

I am thinking about buying my first Ferrari. I am looking for a TR! I am new to this forum and if anyone could take some time and give me some model yr's and other helpfull hints. Some of your experiences in looking for this elusive beast.

I am sure that this question has been asked before, but any help in this purchase of a lifetime would be appreciated.

Also I live in Ont. close to T.O.

Cheers to all!

2. Ferrariguy2

Ferrariguy2 F1 Rookie

Apr 5, 2004
    Naples, Florida
    Full Name:
    Chief
    Go for a 512TR, anyone that has owned both a Testarossa and a 512TR will tell you they are worlds apart.

3. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Todd,
    Your best start is to go to the "search" function and search under "testarossa", "TR", "512TR" and "512M. You should find tons of threads on these cars, and reading the technical threads should give you an idea of the strengths and weaknesses of these cars. You can also go and search in the old archives at the old site. You can find them on the main page, at the bottom. There will be a link.

As with any Ferrari, the later in the production run the better. Ferrari made many improvements along the way, some during production, others with the introduction of the next model or variant.

Two things to be aware of: service and repairs are very expensive, and the transaxles are known to give out, if driven too "spiritedly" (and esp. if abused or tracked extensively). The 512M has the most beefed up transaxle. I have heard of several 512TR's and earlier cars failing. This is not a cheap repair. I think my friend spent in the neighborhood of $25k (usd) at the dealer having a new 512M transaxle installed in his 512TR.

4. MS250

MS250 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    Todd,
    Welcome aboard. The skinny on a TR is very simple, as any other sport car. Buy a full documented car, with service and ownership. You will hear about the 86-88 TR as being less reliable, the 88.5 to 91 as better, then the 512TR, and Blah, Blah,Blah.

I have an 86TR, 3rd owner, bought it 5 yrs ago with 40k and now have 51k. Drives like a dream, never let me down, everything works(Imagine that). T he old myth of the older model not being up to snuff is mostly fluff. Why? Because most owners with clear records and ownership have probably worked out all the bugs that plagues the car.

Long ownership is a good sign as most of those owners would have taken better care of the car, and follow the rule of all service, especially when the engine out was done and clutch. Buy the best you can afford, and dont be scared of a higher milage car, they will be less trouble than a garage queen if you intend on driving.

Good luck in your search !! Let us know how it turns out.
    P.S. Never looked back since I bought a TR.

5. tjacoby

tjacoby F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Vancouver Canada
    Full Name:
    tj
    two hints:
    check the quality of the mechanic who did the work - and long and thorough records are good
    2nd is to have it checked out by a quality mechanic familiar with the beasts before buying. Go in with your eyes open. There's some good mechanics on the board here, and in Ontario.

One colleague of mine believes $25k is an upper limit for cleaning up details, one other member here spent $16k cleaning up a Mondial for misc. issues - lots of others spend $0 for years but for fluids. Buy well and carefully.

TR's are great cars! I've got a few friends with early TR's with no problems for years.

6. IceSkater

IceSkater Rookie

Nov 24, 2003
    Western Mass
    Full Name:
    Tony C
    Hello Todd
    I just purchased my first Ferrari this week - a 1989 Testarossa - after 20 months searching around the U.S. The knowledge you will find at FerrariChat will indeed be most helpful. My experience with finding a car in the $55K to $65K range (USD) taught me the following: First, all of these cars have issues of one sort or another with which you will have to deal. Even cars on sale at a respected dealer with great service records and supposedly "ready to go" can have hidden problems. My Testarossa was bought from a state with no emission testing requirements. It cost $3K to bring it into compliance with enironmental regulations in my state. Second, some amount of compromise was necessary to reach my goal. I wanted a car as close as possible to what originally came from the factory. However, in finding a car which was mechanically very sound, well cared for, and an acceptable color, I accepted some aftermarket touches from the previous owner, e.g., wheels, CD changer mounted in the spare tire well, etc.
    Good Luck!