355 question | FerrariChat

355 question

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Juice It, Aug 26, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Juice It

Juice It F1 Rookie

Sep 22, 2002
    Maryland (DC Suburb)
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    I just noticed a small electric socket sticking out of the bottom of the console in between the seats on the rear shelf. It has a cap on it and I have no idea what it is. Could it be for a battery charger? Would that be inside the car? any other ideas?

Thanks,

Jeff

2. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    It sounds like one of the connections for the SD1 or SD2 diagnostic machine. If it is a Spider all the top equipment is in the box at the back end of the console and that is where the connector is. The connectors are supposed to be stowed away under the various covers but sometimes mechanics leave them hanging out so they will be easier to access next time. Whatever you do don't hook a battery charger up to it, just tuck it back under whatever access panel it leads to.

3. Juice It

Juice It F1 Rookie

Sep 22, 2002
    Maryland (DC Suburb)
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    It is a spider. I thought the sd2 plug was under the dash somewhere. Could be something that has to do with the top. I definately will not plug in a charger to it!

Thanks

4. delaney

delaney Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2003
    St Petersburg, FL
    Full Name:
    PETER DELANEY
    There is one under the dash ... where you'd expect it to be. But when I took my car to the main dealer, they had an SD2 hooked up behind one of the seats.

Regards,

Pete

5. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall

The SD2 plug is under the dash but all of the systems that can be accessed also have their own assembly line diagnostic link (ALDL) plug. On the 355 the underdash plug was not all that good at accessing all the systems so in practice we usually go to the ALDL plug. It may go to the security sys or F1 sys (behind drivers seat) or the Motronic sys (behind pass seat) but a small oval plug with a cap on it is prob. an ALDL.

6. richard_wallace

richard_wallace Formula 3

Feb 6, 2004
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Full Name:
    Richard Wallace
    I am not sure it would be a "plug" but this is where your override switch is for your top motor... and the other top components are... Take a pic or give me a little more and I can tell you what it is - I have had my top (and that area of the car) worked on about 3 times (darn tops...) So I am pretty familiar with that area of the 355 spider :)

7. FL 355

FL 355 Formula 3

Nov 3, 2002
    Ft Laud
    Full Name:
    Frank Lipinski
    Jeff - Richard is correct. You should see a hole on the drivers side. Push the wire into the hold and the cap will snap in. If your top ever "sticks" use this switch to over ride the center consol switch you normally use. See your owners manual for more info...

Richard - Sorry I missed you....car was at Shelton's and I went to Bimini...

8. richard_wallace

richard_wallace Formula 3

Feb 6, 2004
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Full Name:
    Richard Wallace
    Not a problem-I did get to see a few f-cars driving around - On Friday we went to China Grille and then Opium - I saw a couple of 360s (one Coupe and one Spider)....

I get down there several times per year - and to our place in the keys - we can hook up another time... (Just got my 355 back - had the test pipes put in... Wow!)