86 Mondial question | FerrariChat

86 Mondial question

Discussion in 'California & Nevada (Northern)' started by johnvan8, Aug 24, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. johnvan8

johnvan8 Rookie

Aug 24, 2004
    Hello, I'm new to the forum and in the market for a Mondial. I do have a question: Is the 1986 Mondial (coupe or cab) a 50-state car as far as smog equipment? I live in California and wanted to know if a US car from other states will pass smog here. Thanks for reading and this forum is awesome!

2. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall

To the best of my knowledge the only 49 state car from that whole era was the 91 TR. During that period of time Ferrari was trying to simplify things, it was just that at the time the TR could not conform. Just to be on the safe side if you see something you like have the owner send you a good digital picture of the emission lable located in the engine compartment. It clearly states if the car conforms or not.

3. johnvan8

johnvan8 Rookie

Aug 24, 2004
    Thanks for taking the time to reply, Brian. I did get confirmation from a Ferrari guru that ALL 1986 US Mondials are 50-state compliant.
    John

4. dakharris

dakharris Two Time F1 World Champ

Jun 7, 2001
    Sleepy Hollow
    Full Name:
    Cavaliere Senzatesta
    No. The answer is that all 1986 US Mondials WERE compliant. Many are no longer compliant. If you do not buy a car that is presently licensed in CA, you lack a great deal of protection and could run into huge bills to bring the car up to spec.

5. johnvan8

johnvan8 Rookie

Aug 24, 2004
    Do you mean as no longer compliant because someone might have removed the smog stuff? If yes, what would you look for during the PPI other than the obvious catalytic converters? Was there a smog pump and such?
    Thanks

6. dakharris

dakharris Two Time F1 World Champ

Jun 7, 2001
    Sleepy Hollow
    Full Name:
    Cavaliere Senzatesta
    Yes. Primarily the cat. They take that off, install headers, TUBI, etc. The car runs great, but you can't register it. There are some egr hoses, etc. but those are minor. Lots of guys do this in areas that don't have smog inspections. If they just threw the original equipment away, it will be very expensive to reconstruct it.