Anyone attended Canadian GP? | FerrariChat

Anyone attended Canadian GP?

Discussion in 'F1' started by Gary(SF), Aug 27, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Gary(SF)

Gary(SF) F1 Rookie

Oct 13, 2003
    Los Altos Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Gary B.
    A small group of us want to go next year, so any suggestions on hotels and grandstands would be appreciated.

Gary

2. 4i2fly

4i2fly Formula 3

Apr 16, 2004
    SF, Bay Area
    Gary, I was there in 2001 and stayed way out of town, could not find a decent hotel room. But I think it is grand stand 11 right at front of the first hairpin after the start/finish line where we were watching the race. The Lake is right behind you and you get a cool breeze and the view is fantastic. Both 11 and 12 grandstands give you good action after the front straight.

3. toddjw73

toddjw73 F1 Rookie

Feb 5, 2004
    Nor-Cal
    Full Name:
    Todd Westbrook
    If I get tickets for USGP I plan on going to Canadian GP as well. I could use some info as well. Not sure on USGP even though I've placed my order.

4. 4i2fly

4i2fly Formula 3

Apr 16, 2004
    SF, Bay Area
    At USGP, we got to town and went to Omni hotel in downtown, slipped a $100 bill into hands of the girl working at the counter and vola we had a nice room at the top overlooking downtown. We had grandstand tickets right at the start/finish line. It was good for the pre-race and award ceremony but not very exciting during the race. They carry a lot of speed and it is hard to see anthing while the race is going on. The first turn after the start/finish always provides a lot of drama.

5. Ney

Ney F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 20, 2004
    Gary:

I went this year and had a good time. I stayed as close as possible to the Berri UQAM station for the metro at the Days Inn - Montreal Downtown. Rooms were fine, nothing special, breakfast included. Call the hotel directly for rooms. For a more old world hotel, try Hotel Berri in the same area. It was an easy walk to the Metro, 1 stop to the track which is Parc Jean Drapeau. See http://www.stcum.qc.ca/English/metro/a-mapmet.htm

Good restaurants are within walking distance and a decent smoked meat at Rubins is a little hike but worth the experience.

We had seats in tribune 11, which is a long walk from the metro, but the seats were great. We could see the start finish line, pit out and the first complex hairpin. Another good spot to watch from is tribune 15, also a hairpin with a good view of the approach and the exit. Often the higher in the stand, the better the view. Earplugs are a must especially if crossing over the bridges while the F1 cars are out.
    http://www.grandprix.ca/anglais/index.html

Get tickets was early are you can as you then have the greatest choice. Have a great time.
    Cheers

6. JIMBO

JIMBO Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Bradenton, Florida
    Full Name:
    Jim DeRespino
    We stayed at the Omni - a bit overpriced but a great Hotel, 2 blocks from the Metro, etc. We had seats at the hairpin (section #21, I think) that were fantastic. A great city to visit and a great venue to experience F1

7. Gary(SF)

Gary(SF) F1 Rookie

Oct 13, 2003
    Los Altos Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Gary B.
    Thanks. Yeah, Grandstand 21 looks to be the pick of the four at the hairpin, you have the best vantage point for the braking zone. Although the exit (Grandstand 24) might be fun, too, or even 15...

Gary

8. Murcielago03

Murcielago03 Formula Junior

Jul 5, 2004
    Montreal
    Full Name:
    Shaan
    My brother specializes in organizing trips for tourists to the Grand Prix and offers several packages that include hotel, tickets, selection of restaurants at discount...etc let me know. The earlier the better

9. Murcielago03

Murcielago03 Formula Junior

Jul 5, 2004
    Montreal
    Full Name:
    Shaan
    Hi I posted this in the thread my brother specializes in organizing trips for tourists to the Grand Prix and offers several packages that include hotel, tickets, selection of restaurants at discount...etc . The earlier the better, oh and if you drive your Ferrari we can arrange for it to be showcased on St. Laurent st. (busiest street for Grand Prix weekend) the entire street is closed for the weekend. Let me know if your interested. Thanks

Shaan

10. rcallahan

rcallahan F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jul 15, 2002
    Santa Barbara
    Full Name:
    Bob Callahan
    Gary,

I go every year. It's a fantastic city 100 time better than crappy Indy. Anyway, the best place to be is stand 11 or sec 6 of stand 12 (the side where stand 11 is. Both are the best seats in the house. For hotels there are many. Best to get an early res as soon as you know the date of the GP. Pay the extra dough and stay downtown, it's worth it! For a cool botique hotel try Nelligans [email protected]

Bob

11. tatcat

tatcat F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2001
    panama city beach FL
    Full Name:
    rick c
    great hotel rooms can be found online, although it's better to call for reservations. be sure to have your french ready, they seem to take the language thing seriously. the st. laurent area is the spot. find a good street map and check out the hotel locations to find the best deal. we were there in 03 and payed like 100 a night at the comfort inn.most places in town are just a few blocks from a subway stop. my favorite seats are at the hairpin. great view and easy access to the support race paddock

12. GreaseMonkey

GreaseMonkey Rookie

May 31, 2004
    I was there in 2003 and I agree with you on stands locations. Actually there isn't much to choose from, I do not like to be on the arrival stand and the poor location of the Canadian track doesn't offer any other oprion beside the stands.

Hotels are pretty pricey in Montreal, being out of town is not a problem if you are next to an underground stop. Buy the 3-day ticket and you'll ride fast and cheap all'over town.