Introduciton to repainting? | FerrariChat

Introduciton to repainting?

Discussion in 'Collectables, Literature, & Models' started by jordan747_400, Apr 3, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jordan747_400

jordan747_400 F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 9, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Jordan
    Im interested in pulling apart a few models and repainting them but I have a few basic questions.

What steps do I take and what products do I use to peel off the old paint and apply the new colors.

What paint should I use? Can I buy spray cannisters of official Ferrari colors? Im specifically interested in finding Azzuro California and Rosso Fiorano if possible.

Any basic tips anyone has to help me get started?

Before I start repainting my 1/18 collection Im going to practice on a few broken 1/24 models that I have stuffed in my closet in order to get the technique down!

2. cavallinomodels

cavallinomodels Formula Junior

Feb 2, 2004
    USA
    Jordan,

You do not have to remove the paint off. Just send the model with 400 sand paper. Unfortunately the smallest Ferrari paint that is available is a pint, you need to add a special thinner, and then put a clear coat over it. Ready made spray paint cans would be the best way to go.

www.cavallinomodels.com

3. Philmodelcar

Philmodelcar Karting

May 19, 2004
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Philippe
    I do not agree with this solution ! I'm sorry but not removing the old paint is for amateur... If you do that, you will put too much paint on the model !
    For any plastic kit in 1/24 or for your metal 1/18, dip the body in brake fluid for a few hours, the paint will peal off as by magic ! Then if you use spray, apply a coat of primer and then your color, then apply decals and finish by a clear coat. Do not forget to sand each coat with 800 water sand paper.
    If you use spray colors, just try the little Tamiya ones. For beginners it's perfect. For any other question do not hesitate to leave me a message.

4. jsa330

jsa330 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Full Name:
    Scott

I build 1/24 scale plastic models as well. The brake fluid works great for stripping as does Castrol CSC. The CSC will also strip chromed plastic parts but is a harsher chemical than the brake fluid and you have to be careful with it.

Getting a good body paint finish is the hardest thing about building models. With this in mind, Tamiya canned spray lacquer colors are about the easiest way to get a good finish. It's well worth spending twenty bucks to buy four or five cans for practice before you try it on a good model.

Also, check out this web page:

http://www.briansmodelcars.com/tutorials/index.asp

5. GoFerrari28

GoFerrari28 Formula 3

Jun 16, 2004
    Ridgemont, CA
    Full Name:
    Jeff Spicoli
    I agree with Phil and Spook. dip the parts in brake cleaner, use a toothbrush and some laundry detergent to clean the parts, don't sand too much or you lose the definition in the body lines and contours. Go with the tamiya paints. I love the stuff.

6. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    Lots of auto paint stores can mix small quantities of paint and some can put them in a rattle can for you. My advice in model painting would be to buy a simple airbrush powered by a propellant can (or a compressor if you want to shell out more cash). This tool will pay for itself very quickly, gives you lots of control, and requires that you only mix as much paint as you need. A starter airbrush kit will can will probably be about $30.

As for painting, stripping is surely the way to go and I recommend that all sanding be done wet using water that is slightly lubricated with dishsoap. A quality paint job is all in the prep. DO NOT fool yourself into thinking that paint will 'cover up' flaws.

7. Scott85

Scott85 Formula 3

Dec 16, 2000
    Dayton , OH
    Last time I checked at the local auto paint store, it was around $12 for an 8oz can of color, but you will probably need the paint code for the specific color. I've had good luck with Duplicolor Auto Spray paint(Meijers has all Duplicolor paint for 50% off this week). Make sure you don't mix brands when it comes to the primer, base & clear coats. Definatly wet sand, it makes a world of difference.

8. dretceterini

dretceterini F1 Veteran

Apr 28, 2004
    Etceterini Land
    Full Name:
    Dr.Stuart Schaller
    do NOT use brake fliud on resin bodies. It will melt the resin.