Trivia about the big 2+2 | FerrariChat

Trivia about the big 2+2

Discussion in '308/328' started by tlake, Aug 28, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tlake

tlake Rookie

Aug 28, 2004
    I seem to recall that Ferrari raided the Fiat parts bin for the rear lamp lenses of the 365 GT4 2+2. Does anyone know exactly which Fiat model? I think it was the little 850, not sure.

http://www.qv500.com/ferrari365&400p1.htm

2. Andy T

Andy T Karting

May 31, 2004
    Sheffield - England
    Full Name:
    Andy
    1967 Fiat 850 Coupe - the pretty one - not the fast back saloon derived version. I don't now if was sold in the US but I have a roadtest in the 1967 'Motor ' test annual and the lights look identical to the 365GT.

Andy

3. tlake

tlake Rookie

Aug 28, 2004
    Thanks for that. I think the early 365 GT4 with those early rear lights looked the best, and it was manual only in those days. The later up engined 400i had 308 style rear lights if memory serves.
    Parts bin raiding continues to this day. The Maserati 3200 GT has swivel dash vents taken from Fiat and the latest Lambos have switchgear that you would normally find in an Audi A4. Not that there's anything wrong with that: )

4. maurice70

maurice70 F1 Rookie

Jan 25, 2004
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    maurice T
    Just on parts sharing,Fiat x19 door handles I believe are the same as 308gt4.Lamborghini contach bonnet release lever I believe is the same as the gt4 as well as the maserati merak.Gt4 dash vents are almost identical as merak dash vents with the difference being that the gt4 has Dino written on it.I also believe that the merak engine bay relase lever is the same as alfa spyder 105 series.Fiat 850 sports also have the same door levers as the gt4. I also think that alfa spyder105 series rear brake pads are the same as the gt4.Can anyone think of any others?

5. Miltonian

Miltonian F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2002
    Milton, Wash.
    Full Name:
    Jeff B.
    I believe the Fiat 850 Spider rear light assembly is identical to Lamborghini Miura.

If I remember correctly, there was a rear light assembly used on several models of Alfa, Maserati, and DeTomaso.

6. tlake

tlake Rookie

Aug 28, 2004
    My uncle had one of those Alfa 105 series cars, nice. The BMW M1's rear lamps came from the BMW 6 series. The Lotus Esprit used door handles from a British Leyland car, I think the Marina, until 1993, then they switched to those from a Rover! Yes, the car makers like to share the love : )

7. artn

artn Karting

Mar 2, 2004
    Also, I believe some Esprits used tail light plastics from a Toyota, of all sources. (does anyone know which Toyota it came off of?

There was an 90's Aston Martin (V-8 Vantage?) which used VW Scirocco tail lights. (the black smoked ones.) It looks pretty good!

Th funniest would have to be current RV/motorhomes which uses head and tail lights from some common issue Ford passenger cars, IIRC. Looks really odd and quite humorous.

8. tlake

tlake Rookie

Aug 28, 2004
    The Alpine A310 used to use all kinds of stuff from the Renault 17 and other regular models.