1969 Daytona - any info? Unusual front end | FerrariChat

1969 Daytona - any info? Unusual front end

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by lm2504me, Aug 26, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. lm2504me

lm2504me Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 26, 2004
    Nipomo, CA
    Full Name:
    Richard
    Any info on this 1969 Ferrari Daytona based on the photos of the front end? It belongs to a friend of mine.

Chassis# 12723

Thanks

2. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Welcome!

:)

3. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    Said to be the 42nd Daytona built. It features the fixed headlights under plexi glass cover rather than the later "pop-up" headlights. This would a Euro specification model from early in production.
    ch

4. Tspringer

Tspringer F1 Veteran

Apr 11, 2002
    The front end looks normal to me, correct for an early euro plexiglass nosed car.

This is what it will look like in front when done:

5. lm2504me

lm2504me Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 26, 2004
    Nipomo, CA
    Full Name:
    Richard
    The straight sheet metal which runs under the lights doesn't seem to have the curved portions of the daytona in question. Is there a missing sheetmetal piece which produces the straight line from left to right? Note the W shaped sheetmetal of the picture I had posted.

Thanks

6. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Yes I see what you mean ... does it have a competition nose?

Compare to this picture:

[​IMG]

Found here: http://ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9423

Pete

7. lm2504me

lm2504me Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 26, 2004
    Nipomo, CA
    Full Name:
    Richard
    Don't know if it came this way from the factory or was modified to look this way. If modified outside of the factory someone went to great lengths. It is an early Daytona. All of the other nose parts support the present design of the nose. It does have a simple plexiglass cover for each headlight bucket.

Richard

8. Boxer 512

Boxer 512 Formula Junior
    BANNED

May 5, 2004
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Seb King
    Richard,

I agree, The bottom profile is completely different to either standard vehicle, this looks like a completely bespoke customisation. Just a thought, but on the Plexiglass model the bottom rail is straight and horizontal and clips the bottom edge of the headlights, maybe this conversion was designed to improve driving illumination ???

Please let us know if you find out anything more ?

Regards,

Seb

9. 365boy

365boy Formula Junior

Nov 5, 2003
    Brighton, England
    Full Name:
    John Leaman
    There was a similar car at the UK Annual FOC Concours this year - fixed lights but sheet metal between them.

Don't know whether it was converted from a plexiglass or pop-up car - but it had the earlier seats, so maybe the former. Dark blue (non-metallic) with dark red trim. Sorry, no chassis # or pics....

John

10. Tspringer

Tspringer F1 Veteran

Apr 11, 2002
    The straight line portion is not on the car as its pictured. The center metal panel should be painted flat black. The plexiglass goes all the way across the nose and the metal below attaches. When all the lights, brackets, supports, bumpers, grill and plexiglass are properly attached.... I believe it would be correct.

I may be wrong....

Terry

11. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    No, that car IS strange....note the badge, recessed into the exposed metal panel.

It looks like it would trim out with this area exposed even after the plexi went in on each side..... very unusual.....

12. Tspringer

Tspringer F1 Veteran

Apr 11, 2002

The badge and panel are supposed to be like that. One the plexi nosed cars, you see the badge through the plexiglass and your looking at the metal panel through the plexiglass, its just painted semi-gloss black. The plexiglass extends across the entire nose.

Terry

13. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Ah, thanks!

Haven't seen any plexi noses up close.......they just painted it the wrong color???

14. Tspringer

Tspringer F1 Veteran

Apr 11, 2002

Yes.

BUT... I went out to the garage and looked close at mine. This car is different. The angled downward metal supports are not there on my car.... and the horizontal body panel that goes across above the bumper is part of the front clip, its not removable and its missing on this car. So, I revise my opinion, this car has been modified! It appears to me to be modified for competition style headlights.

Terry

15. Miltonian

Miltonian F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2002
    Milton, Wash.
    Full Name:
    Jeff B.
    Maybe it's a version of this one? Photo is from R&T 10/70, captioned: "US version will have this solution to our lighting laws - every bit as ludicrous as the regulations themselves".

16. billb

billb Formula Junior
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Jun 4, 2001
    Shorewood, IL
    Full Name:
    Bill Badurski
    #16 billb, Aug 28, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    This is neither a standard config plexi-nose car, nor a true comp car version. I suspect it has accident damage repair or someone's customization done. The attached photo shows the comp car boxed headlamp compartment, while Terry's comments about the horizontal cross bar are accurate for the Euro cars.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

17. MarkL

MarkL Karting
    Owner

Nov 3, 2003
    Midwest
    #17 MarkL, Aug 28, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Randy Simon was selling this car for a "friend" about 4 years ago. Story was that the preveous owner of 10 years plus sent the car to be restored in Reno and died while it was being restored (~1990). Restoration stopped when the owner died awaiting the estate to be settle. The shop never got paid so they kept the car until the dust settled early 2000. Problem was that the motor had been rebuilt ten years earlier and and all of the exhaust ports had been left open to the elements. Maybe not a problem in a dry enviroment but by the time I was looking at the car it had been sitting in San Diego for quite some time. Most parts were boxed and accounted for but many were missing, lost in the many moves?

As far as the front is concerned, the shop that did the repair told me that the owner tracked the car quite a bit and had a little "Off" that prcipitated the restoration. This might explain the unusual front end treatment. Can't remember the shop off hand but recall that they had a good reputation. Can probably find the name if your friend wants more info. Think I have about 50 pictures of the car somewhere as well.

18. lm2504me

lm2504me Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 26, 2004
    Nipomo, CA
    Full Name:
    Richard
    Yes,
    Please send any information you can. My friend would appreciate any details.

Thanks for your time and photos.

Richard

19. lm2504me

lm2504me Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 26, 2004
    Nipomo, CA
    Full Name:
    Richard
    Yes,
    Please send any information you can. My friend would appreciate any details.

Thanks for your time and photos.

Richard

20. Tspringer

Tspringer F1 Veteran

Apr 11, 2002
    It does look like the incorrect aspects of this would be easy enough to fix. Just cut off the drooping light frame and replace it with straight across pieces and repaint. Any decent shop that knows what its supposed to look like should be able to do this.

Terry

21. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Yes, but you would have to trace the history of this modification first ... and then make the decision. Also I would assemble the front and see what it looks like ... it might make the original front look like cr@p in comparison ;)

But if the modification was done by somebody important (er, factory orientated) or for a important reason ... I'd keep it. If it was done for questionable reasons ... yeah I'd think about changing it, but it does make this car interesting.

Pete

22. shaughnessy

shaughnessy Formula 3

Apr 1, 2004
    Wolfeboro NH
    Full Name:
    Thomas E Shaughnessy
    I would like to purchase this car, again

Thanks

Tom Shaughnessy
    Ferrari Parts and Sales
    San Clemente CA

23. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ
    Staff Member Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    I believe it is this car:

24. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ
    Staff Member Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    Apparently, this yellow car and the one in Jeff's photo (which is actually blue) were used to develop a means to meet US regulations before the idea of retractable lights was hit on.

25. Fan512bbi

Fan512bbi Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2004
    Wales-UK
    Full Name:
    Steve.
    What was the problem with the lights regarding US regulations?