360 defective battery or starter? | FerrariChat

360 defective battery or starter?

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by baron, May 2, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. baron

baron Karting

Nov 2, 2003
    The 360 wouldn't start today. I turned the key, and there was no ignition. However, there is power to the windows and indicators. When I twist the ignition, the engine did not even attempt to fire up. All I hear is some whinning sound like an electric drill (starter sound?).

I was wondering if the battery or starter are defective. I did attempt to jump start the 360 but it didn't work or I didn't do it properly. Should I just change to a new battery? Any comments on what is going on is appreciated.

Thanks,
    Baron

2. Fiat Dino 206

Fiat Dino 206 Karting

Apr 19, 2004
    Mississippi
    Full Name:
    David
    Please clarify: "When I twist the ignition, the engine did not even attempt to fire up. All I hear is some whinning sound like an electric drill (starter sound?) and the car dies."

I am confused that it didn't fire up but then dies? If it isn't running, what do you mean by "dies."

When you turned the ignition to the start postition, did the starter turn the engine over for a period of time and then stop turning the engine over and leave you are left with a whinning sound?

This may indicate a weak or defective battery or a "draining load" in the system (short). The battery may not be turning the engine fast enough to allow it to start.

Not real sure that there is a "right" way to jump start a 360. Might not be the better way to test the battery with the cost of ignition parts. You might try using a battery that you know is in good condition to replace the battery in the car. Or remove the battery and have it tested and fully charged. Remember, if you have any items in the car that require an activation code: radio, ect. ect. be sure you have the codes before undoing the battery.

How long since you last drove your car? How old is the battery? Has there been any other electrical problems with the car lately? These are some questions that you might ask yourself to see if you can find a solution to the car not starting.

Keep us posted

Best wishes

3. Fiat Dino 206

Fiat Dino 206 Karting

Apr 19, 2004
    Mississippi
    Full Name:
    David
    A quick note (Not to alarm you)

You may need to ensure that the fuel injection system is not loading up the cylinders while you are trying to start the car.

It is not unheard of for a high pressure injection system to load up the cylinders and hydrolock the engine. Not a good situation.

Maybe others will weigh-in with some suggestions that will allow you to safetly get your car up and running.

Best wishes

4. baron

baron Karting

Nov 2, 2003

Thanks for your tips. The battery is more than 4yrs old and the last time the car was driven was 2 weeks ago. It seems like a bad battery. Will get it replaced and see how it goes.

5. RumorDude

RumorDude Formula Junior

Dec 16, 2003
    Woodinville, WA
    Well while I feel like I am famous for dead batteries, I have an interesting situation now similar to this.

I am driving up in my 328 from san diego to seattle and am someplace in la. I pulled off to get some gas and then the car wouldn't start back up.

Of course I'd like to think battery but similar to your problem sounds similar...

When I turn the key the engine does not turn at all. I get a nice whirring sound instead. However, I was able to get the car moving again by simply getting it rolling down a very small incline and popping the clutch. My question - before I go to find an auto parts store on a hill - is if the starter were bad, would you even be able to jump the car in this fashion? I know it would work for a dead or bad battery, but my whincing at the battery is that it started, got me up here and hasn't been problematic. With no voltmeter its hard to tell. Yes, I am posting this from my phone. Lol?

6. 911Fan

911Fan Formula 3

Apr 15, 2004
    Southern California
    When you push start a car like that, the starter is out of the picture. The only job of the starter is to rotate the crankshaft until the engine starts. You did the equivalent by putting it in gear and popping the clutch.

7. RumorDude

RumorDude Formula Junior

Dec 16, 2003
    Woodinville, WA
    yep i finally did indeed get home by compression starting it a few more times and keeping it on while filling up the tank. indeed the starter is flaking out on me; it works when its cold but not when it's hot (which is kinda counter intuitive to me but anyway). happy to be back in seattle ahhhhhh.

anyone want a battery? ;)

8. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Bad starter solenoid....

Here's the thread with the solution:
    http://ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23365&page=1&pp=20&highlight=328+starter

See the post by Steve Magnusson.

9. f355spider

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    I think you are on the right track...there have been many threads on the crappy factory FIAMM battery...and four years with any battery is starting to get into the "gray" area where it might start to get flakey.

10. SrfCity

SrfCity F1 World Champ

I say gone battery. Interstate have one that will fit. Don't have the part number.

I thought you were the "Battery Tender" king? :) I guess they are obviously only good for so long.

11. hardtop

hardtop F1 World Champ

Jan 31, 2002
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Dave
    When I first got my 328 3 years ago it would occasionally do nothing when key turned to start only when hot. A few tires would get it going. Upon someone's advice, I cleaned and tightened the battery terminals. 3 years later, have not had a recurrence. I don't know how old the battery is. So before buying a battery, just try the terminals. Of course, you could buy a battery and clean the terminals at the same time, but then you would not know what is wrong. I think if the battery is bad, it would be worse when cold.

Dave

12. f355spider

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Due to the rather difficult to access locations for most Ferraris, batteries tend to get neglected, as you surmise. At least annual "check ups" to include cleaning and tightening of the clamps, and topping up with distilled water is part of the regime with my cars. I also replace the little treated felt washers that prevent corrosion too.

The newer "spiral cell" batteries like Optima eliminate top ups, but cleaning/checking the terminals annually is still good advice, and can prevent a potential problem.

As SrfCity reminded, everyone should get one of these:
    http://snipurl.com/7cod

And if you splice one of these in http://snipurl.com/5rl7, you can simply plug it into your cigarette lighter socket. Rather than having to access the battery to hook up.