Smoky question for 512TR | FerrariChat

Smoky question for 512TR

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Pong, Aug 29, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Pong

Pong Formula Junior

Nov 5, 2003
    Thailand
    Full Name:
    Pong
    My car has been doing this since I bought it, had the dealer checked it and they said it should be OK....but I need you guys' opinion on it....please help.

The car gives a puff of white smoke right after the engine catch on. I wonder if this is normal for the 512TR???? The smoke disappear about 3 seconds after the start (sometime less).

Also, sometime the brake warning light comes on during hard braking or standing still in traffic, but most of the time it's off....what is the cause of this. The dealer said the front pads are close to the end of their lives, but why the light doesn't stay on.

Any answer would help... :)

2. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Smoke on initial start up on a TR or 512TR is common and as long as it lasts only a second or two its OK.
    Your dealer may be correct, if the pads are just down to the sensor they may be only touching the brake rotors when a lot of pressure is being applied to the pads. You can have him or someone else double check, but if they are down far enough to cause that, you should think about just replacing them now, get it over with and save yourself from worrying about it.

3. ferrarifixer

ferrarifixer F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 22, 2003
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Phil Hughes
    Check the fluid level is ok too. It needs to be close to max, but if the pads are low it will drop the level, so don't overfill it because when the new pads are put in the level may spill over.

Smoke on start up is common, but a car that gets driven plenty will reduce. it's due to sticky rings and will get better with use.

My carb BB smoked quite bad when I first got it after 8 years laid up, but after a couple of track days and several hundred miles road use it stopped smoking completely.

4. MS250

MS250 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    As mentioned the smoke is common, as for the brakes you might to get checked out to get 2nd opinion.

5. Lloyd

Lloyd F1 Rookie

Aug 25, 2001
    Austin
    I have a 512TR and confirm that initial smoke is common especially the less you drive it. Ferrari dealers and independents who have worked on my car all concur that it is not an issue.

6. Pong

Pong Formula Junior

Nov 5, 2003
    Thailand
    Full Name:
    Pong
    Thank you for all the replies...

I am glad to hear that the smoke is common. I try to drive it as often as possible, but I can only manage about once a week for about an hour each time. But this past week, I used it 3 times for total of more than 5 hours of driving. This morning, I started it up to move it out of the way of another car in our garage, and I found no smoke...guess I need to use it as a daily driver...ha ha.

About the pads, I think I will change them soon. The discs also look rather worn out too. I will look at the possibility of after market set up.