355 alternator belt tensioner failed. | FerrariChat

355 alternator belt tensioner failed.

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by chaa, Aug 29, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. chaa

chaa F1 Veteran

Mar 21, 2003
    It happend yesterday, i had the car up on a ramp and removed the undertray. The tensioner roller has come of the main body of the tensioner, the belt is still intact its just the tensioner. Looking at it i see there are three 13mm bolts holding it to the engine block, the bottom two can be got at but the top one i cant get at, so i will leave it to the pros. My question is how much work is involved and is it an expensive exorcise?? Has any one had this happen to them before? Thanks for any responces.

2. FL 355

FL 355 Formula 3

Nov 3, 2002
    Ft Laud
    Full Name:
    Frank Lipinski
    Charlie....did it warn you with any noise or "chirping" sound before it failed?

3. chaa

chaa F1 Veteran

Mar 21, 2003
    No it just did it with out warning. I managed to drive it back after i checked that it was not the engine.

4. speeder37

speeder37 Karting

Nov 18, 2003
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Matt
    CHAA
    I recently went through the same deal. I heard a rattling that I thought was a cat converter coming apart. The cat would have been under warranty. So you know that wouldn't be it. The local dealer did the repair for around $500.00. The plastic pulley was under $200 plus 2.5 hrs. labor. It is apparently a common problem. Hope this helps.

5. RF128706

RF128706 Formula Junior

Apr 8, 2004
    Guys, by complete coincidence I changed my tensioner bearing 2 weekends ago. The bearing cost me GBP8.10+VAT and the whole job took 2 hours.

I did not need to undo the 3 nuts that hold the bracket to the engine block, just the central lock-nut.

If you're planning to do the job let me know & I'll post some more detailed info.

$500 seems like a heap of cash for this job, I think I'll go into business !

Rob.

6. chaa

chaa F1 Veteran

Mar 21, 2003
    Yea took mine of this afternoon. Though after un screwing the nut from the main shaft, the main shaft threaded stud was a pig to unscrew so i had to undo the three main nuts and unscrew all three studs from the block. Going to be ringing Verdi ferrari tomorrow. By the way what happens to the ballberings when it fails, like mine did? The ring of the tensioner was just flapping around.