American F1 Team?!?!? Please say it's so! | FerrariChat

American F1 Team?!?!? Please say it's so!

Discussion in 'F1' started by LopeAlong, Aug 30, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. LopeAlong

LopeAlong Formula Junior

Mar 29, 2004
    West of St. Louis
    Full Name:
    Jim
    I work in the manufacturing sector and a bearing tech who was troubleshooting one of our mill spindles spilled some beans. He said their company built a custom 20,000 rpm motor-spindle test rig for a new F1 transmission manufacturer in the states. He would not tell me who and swore me to secrecy on not revealing his company name. Put it this way. I have seen their logo on many an F1 car... The guy did not know diddly about F1, but knew FOR SURE (I made him repeat it several times!) that is was for an F1 semi-auto tranny. Now here are the specs. It must go from 0-20,000 in less than 2 seconds!! It must also go from 20,000 to 0 in 4 seconds. He said it used a variable frequency drive motor for unlimited variations of torque and HP. THe drive for the motor was very complex.

Can anyone fill in the blanks for me? Is there a US company that currently builds F1 trannies for a current team? Please say no....Please say no.....

I am trying not to get too excited here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jim

2. richard_wallace

richard_wallace Formula 3

Feb 6, 2004
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Full Name:
    Richard Wallace
    I am not sure I know of one that currently builds F1 trannys...

But I am wondering if the company that is doing this is TRW - which builds for Honda?

3. LopeAlong

LopeAlong Formula Junior

Mar 29, 2004
    West of St. Louis
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Nope, starts with S and ends with F.

Jim

4. sjb509

sjb509 Guest

Are you talking about SKF bearings? They have been a partner with Ferrari for years...

5. LopeAlong

LopeAlong Formula Junior

Mar 29, 2004
    West of St. Louis
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Yes, they have been partnered with F, BUT this was built for a company in the US - not Europe.

6. LopeAlong

LopeAlong Formula Junior

Mar 29, 2004
    West of St. Louis
    Full Name:
    Jim
    It was anounced today that Jaguar F1 Racing will cease to exist after this year. It will be called Ford F1. I wonder if the developmental work will be done in the states? Cosworth needs to get their act together and maybe we will have something! The plot thickens!

7. s_eric09

s_eric09 Formula Junior

Feb 7, 2004
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    George
    WOW!!!

finally, i think this is finally push to having an american f1 driver again.

this is amazing

8. beast

beast F1 World Champ

May 31, 2003
    Lewisville, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Guess
    Just one thing to think about Jag and cosworth are both divisions of Ford... In fact Jag use to be called Stewart Ford prior to becoming Jag. So this is nothing new here Ford wants to change the name and perhaps hope that Ford F1 might generate some sales of Ford products.

Just my take on it. Nothing to get worked up and excited about A change of the sign outside the race shop and a different color of paint.

Beast

9. s_eric09

s_eric09 Formula Junior

Feb 7, 2004
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    George
    yeah but if they decided to have their HQ here in teh us, and make it an american based team, then yeah it is something to get workedd up about

10. LopeAlong

LopeAlong Formula Junior

Mar 29, 2004
    West of St. Louis
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Aww Rob, don't go screw up my fantasy! Maybe they will take a diferent direction. I'm not sure this Pitchforth guy is the right charactor to pull this off, I guess we shall see. Ford needs to throw a few more bucks at this and make a serious effort. I'm not sure the current crew is up to the challange.

Jim

11. beast

beast F1 World Champ

May 31, 2003
    Lewisville, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Guess
    Will never happen, since most of the tracks they test on are in europe pluse they have the wind tunnel, fab shops, ETC all located there, Ford would be on Dope to want to move the entire shooting match to this side of the world.

Beast

12. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    Don't forget, there was talk of Red Bull buying an existing F1 team to provide an avenue for American drivers to get into F1. Could this be part of that effort?