Hurricane Frances | FerrariChat

Hurricane Frances

Discussion in 'Florida' started by Sloan83qv, Aug 30, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Sloan83qv

Sloan83qv F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Mar 8, 2001
    with BIG Dave M.
    Full Name:
    Little Dave M.
    To those squids on the east coast of Florida it looks like it may be your turn (I truly hope not) but if you need places to evacuate too please let me know and I will contact Scuderia Sarasota Folks and make arrangements to get you a place to stay.

Martin, his wife and their 38 cats have got reservations with me but there is always more room here if it is needed.

I have 4 dogs so Martin may have a reduction in cats by the time he leaves.

Paul
    [email protected]

paulie B. if you half to evacuate you should definitely go more than 1/2 way in this case and then get under cover.

2. JSinNOLA

JSinNOLA F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Best of luck to everyone down there.

Quick question to resident experts: When the weather channel shows the projected path, is it correct to assume that each respective side of the teardrop(farthest out projection) represent equal probabilities where the storm can go? With the center of the tear being the most likely?

If anyone wants to come over to Nawlins to get away I'll buy a round of "Hurricanes" from Pat O'Briens on Bourbon Street.:)

3. Cavallino Motors

Cavallino Motors F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

May 31, 2001
    Florida or Argentina
    Full Name:
    Martin W.

That is THE classic quote of all times!!!!

Yes all the way is certainly the best way to go in terms of Francis.

Latest models bring it north of Palm Beach. Cape Canaveral but then that can do a Punta Gorda kind of move on us and we are toast!

Will make my decision on Wednesday or latest Thursday.

4. Cavallino Motors

Lifetime Rossa

May 31, 2001
    Florida or Argentina
    Full Name:
    Martin W.
    John:
    New Orleans may be the only safe place to really go to at this point. I hope we get a better idea in 24-48h. I have canned food already (did that Saturday) and have filled the big watercooler bottles (5), cat food and need to get litter now, they usually use the outside but that will not work for a day or two.

I fear my newly planted palm trees will not make it this time after bending heavy in the Charlie swirls that were hundreds of Miles away.

5. JSinNOLA

JSinNOLA F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2002
    Denver, CO

We should also hope that Frances doesn't pull a hurrican Andrew and make a visit over to Louisiana(or anywhere else for that matter) after initial landfall.

*knocking on wood*

6. FL 355

FL 355 Formula 3

Nov 3, 2002
    Ft Laud
    Full Name:
    Frank Lipinski
    Martin - if it's headed this way I'm going towards Tampa with the FCar. You want to do a ralley? Should know by Thur morining.

7. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    As long as you're plugged in, I want you Squids to know this site addy by heart. (Like you don't already, but still)

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/

8. TheCarcierge

TheCarcierge Formula 3

Feb 1, 2004
    Boca Raton, FL
    Full Name:
    Scott Saidel
    Wax:

I go there at least 2x a day for the updated predictions. Great site.

I, for one, am glad that they have gotten the technology to the point where they can provide 5 days warning. I only wish that their current "predictions" didn't paint me as such the target.

Scottie

9. Cavallino Motors

Lifetime Rossa

May 31, 2001
    Florida or Argentina
    Full Name:
    Martin W.
    Scottie,
    its like you have a bulls-eye painted on your chest there.

I got my shutters at the garage up, the rest of the house we had Hurricane Impact windows installed earlier this year (great, not dealing with shutters). Water is plenty (some 5 5Gallon bottles), plenty of canned pasta :), need top get some important files out of the office to the warehouse, move the 348 to the warehouse today, meet up with slick Willie and put the F40 in storage, some important books into storage and the computers in bags and we are done.

The rest of you...get prepared. By the time this thing hits we are at Cat 5.

I am looking for Naples Hotels today. Maybe play some Golf over the weekend.

10. tifosi

tifosi F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Sep 5, 2001
    texas
    Full Name:
    Tom D
    good luck guys/gals, I might be mistaken but is she takin an andrew like track? hopefully not, let us know if you need anything

11. pdiack

pdiack Karting

Nov 19, 2003
    good luck guys. be safe.

12. tfazio

tfazio Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 20, 2004
    Michigan
    I am supposed to fly in to Ft Myers then off to Naples,FL for my honeymoon on Saturday. Do you think Naples will be safe from Frances?

13. FL 355

FL 355 Formula 3

Nov 3, 2002
    Ft Laud
    Full Name:
    Frank Lipinski
    Yes, likewise here Martin....

Secured the boat this morning and put up shutters on the garage and back part of house. The front living room has two walls which are almost all glass from floor to ceiling...That part will wait till Thur am if necessary...and if so, then I'm going to button them up and get the hell out of Dodge....

14. PerryJ

PerryJ Formula 3

Jun 5, 2003
    N. Alabama
    Full Name:
    John Perry
    You guys stay safe !

If there is ANYTHING we need to send you (before or after) please,
    email.

She's gonna be nasty. :-(

15. Cavallino Motors

Lifetime Rossa

May 31, 2001
    Florida or Argentina
    Full Name:
    Martin W.
    Naples should be safe. From the current forecast it look slike north of West Palm, which would put Paulie at risk. The problem that everyone overlooks is that this thing is HUGE., Hurricane force winds stretch 50 miles SW fromt the center and 90Miles NE fromt the center. The NE part does not concern us much but if the track is through the Bahamas well, we are just a few miles west of there, meaning we may very well get hurricane force winds but at least strong tropical storm force winds with gust exceeding 100Mph.

Frank I honestly don't know what you are wiating for. Putting up big shutters is more work. I'd get on it NOW! At least we will have extreme winds which can kick in the windows, will not blow off the roof but may flood your house.
    Why take the risk?

Let me know if you need help. I will come up and help you put them up.

16. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    MY THOUGHTS ARE WITH YOU!!!!!!

17. Tyler

Tyler F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2001
    dusty old farm town
    Full Name:
    Tyler
    Good luck and stay safe all!

18. PerryJ

PerryJ Formula 3

Jun 5, 2003
    N. Alabama
    Full Name:
    John Perry
    #18 PerryJ, Sep 1, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  19. PerryJ

PerryJ Formula 3

Jun 5, 2003
    N. Alabama
    Full Name:
    John Perry
    #19 PerryJ, Sep 1, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  20. Debbie

Debbie Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2003
    Central Florida
    Full Name:
    Debbie
    Hang in there guys. Take it from someone who has been there you need at least 2 weeks worth of stuff. Fill your bath tubs and everything else you have with water. Start making ice now and get your generator in good working order, you will need it. I just went and got 8 five gallon cans of gas just in case it makes a hard left. After the Charley the things that gave us the most comfort were power and water. Also tune up that chain saw and think about getting an extra chain if you have a lot of trees. Hang in there Squids!!!!!!

21. BWS550

BWS550 Wants to be a mod

Apr 1, 2002
    NEW JERSEY
    Full Name:
    BRUCE WELLINGTON
    JUST LIKE CHARLEY

BATTERIES AND FLASHLIGHTS ILL DONATE IF NEEDED

LET ME KNOW.NEXT DAY SERVICE....STAY SAFE!!

BRUCE / ENERGIZER BATTERY CO.

22. Tspringer

Tspringer F1 Veteran

Apr 11, 2002
    Man, this looks bad. You guys be careful and get ready! Let me know if you need anything sent overnight.

My family is supposed to be heading for Seagrove for a weeks beach vacation on Saturday. First vacation in 3 years and my daughters first trip to the beach, we have really been looking forward to it.

Its way up on the panhandle.... but do you guys think Frances is going to wreck the vacation plans?

I really hope this thing either takes a hard right turn and goes north to sea, or turns left and cuts over Cuba before heading west into the gulf.

Terry

23. JSinNOLA

JSinNOLA F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Wow, I was at Atlantis in Nassau a week ago today. I really doubt a lot of the natives are able to leave.

And anyone in FL who is in its path, PLEASE GET OUT!

There are plenty of hotel rooms here in New Orleans if anyone wants to get far far away from this monster. BE SAFE, and BE AWARE of any fortified buildings that are going to be used as shelters. No reason whatsoever to stay in your house if this is coming right for you.

My thoughts are again with everyone affected by this...:(

24. atlantaman

atlantaman Formula 3

Mar 31, 2002
    Roswell, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Charles
    doooo!
    what a weekend to come down to Boca------
    Am bugging out at 530am thurs for Tampa and wait there to see just which way Frances goes.

25. Racin

Racin Rookie

Nov 30, 2003
    Southeastern US
    Full Name:
    Will
    yeah so I am supposed to be flying in to FLL Friday Night and leaving Tuesday afternoon. What do you think the chances of that happening are?