FordGT vs. 430? | FerrariChat

FordGT vs. 430?

Discussion in '360/430' started by zsnnf, Aug 31, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. zsnnf

zsnnf Formula 3

Sep 11, 2003
    So, we know one of Fords tagets on the new Ford GT was the 360. It seems they have the 360 covered pretty well, but how do you think the 430 will stack up?

Rick

2. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    A pully change on the Ford will take care of the 430.

3. Brian C. Stradale

Brian C. Stradale F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 17, 2002
    Dallas, TX, USA
    Until there are production Ford GTs out that I can drive, I can't judge the "feel" and the "driver experience" that it provides. In the end, that's what makes a car great...

I'm sure the F430 will be a great car in that sense.
    I'm not so sure on the Ford GT... but I have great hopes for it. We'll see...

4. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    In terms of maintenance expense?

5. scycle2020

scycle2020 F1 Rookie

Jan 26, 2004
    potomac
    took the words right ou t of my mouth

6. GTE

GTE F1 World Champ

Jun 24, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Marnix
    In the bookstore I flicked through the latest edition of Top Gear Magazine. They went out with a Ford GT, a 360 CS and a Porsche of some type (who can keep track of those?). I believe they would still go for the Ford, but it is more an "L.A. car" (whatever that means).

7. T0nyGTSt

T0nyGTSt Karting

Jul 31, 2004
    I personally think that Ford are kidding themselves if they think they'll lure any serious Ferrari buyers.

People buy Ferraris because they want a Ferrari.

I like GT40s but they're reaching deep back to the 60's for anyone to really care.

T.

8. Senna1994

Senna1994 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Anthony T
    Very, very well stated. I too have high hopes for the GT.

9. senna21

senna21 F1 Rookie

Jul 2, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Charles W
    Competition breeds progress. I too am looking forward to the GT and what Ferrari will respond with.

10. ATBNM3

ATBNM3 Formula 3

Nov 17, 2003
    Sunny Isles
    Full Name:
    Don Jackson II
    I think the F430 is the response to the FordGT and the Gallardo. I hope it will live up to those expectations, it certainly looks the part. Gorgeous

11. GTE

GTE F1 World Champ

Jun 24, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Marnix
    I think you nailed it. Of course I will never be interested in anything else then a Ferrari (sure, it can be a great car, but I will always know it isn't a Ferrari) and with the GT, Ford have gone the easy way in going all the way back to the late sixties. Sure, the GT40 is a true monument, but to ressurect it in order to make a mark almost 40 years later is just a little weak in my book. They should've left the GT40 alone.

12. tw1nturb0

tw1nturb0 Karting

Feb 2, 2004
    u have to admit that competition in this arena only helps us int he long run. consider these the muscle cars of the new millenium. the better performance and technology that is forced in R&D, the better for us either way :D

Ferrari Lamborghini, and Porsche are what they are and there's no arguing about it. however, The fords, vipers, and nsxs of the future will keep the Big three on their toes.

my$.015

13. Jason Crandall

Jason Crandall F1 Veteran

Mar 25, 2004
    ATL/CHS/MIA
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Is the Ford GT gonna be about $100,000.00 less than a 430? If so that's gonna make a difference.

14. tw1nturb0

tw1nturb0 Karting

Feb 2, 2004
    ford GT $130-150k

F430 coming at a slight premium to the 360 MSRP.

15. TimF40

TimF40 Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    Seattle/Bay Area/NYC
    Full Name:
    Tim
    It's interesting to read about staunch Ferrari loyalists who would not consider the Ford just because it isn't a Ferrari. Heck, I'd consider the Ford in addition to my Ferrari (but not in place of). I enjoy Ferraris in general, but not to the complete exclusion of entire brands. I think the Ford GT would be a lot of fun to drive based on what I've read. And the price makes it a possible 2nd "exotic" for me. - Tim

16. Willis360

Willis360 F1 Rookie

Aug 4, 2001
    Redmond, WA
    Full Name:
    Willis H
    I like the Ford GT. Problem is that I haven't heard or read anything about the "average joe" buyers getting their hand on their's. That had me questioning whether the GT is a real production car or not. Price-gouging Ford dealer is a turnoff. By contrast, order a Ferrari and you pay MSRP+options, that's all.

So what's the real story on the Ford GT?

17. baddogz28

baddogz28 Rookie

Aug 26, 2004
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Chris Splendoria
    I sold Fords.... It'll be $150,000 MSRP, but they are going for as much as $250,000 for the first ones on the ground.

18. vanny

vanny Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    buffalo ny
    Full Name:
    van molenberg
    i have te option to buy one-i was first on the list-i have the order form but have yet called the dealer to hear what they are going to ask.i talked to another dealer and they have not determined the actual selling price . i will keep you informed.ferrari is always my first choice.van

19. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    The Ford GT not only surpasses the new F430, it compares well with the Enzo in performance and looks better than the both IMHO. And, Ferrari should take lessons from Ford on the interior design and switchgear quailty of the GT . I love those billet aluminum switches in the GT!

20. Doug.

Doug. F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 16, 2004
    Las Vegas, NV
    looks can be very deceiving. of course, ferrari will try and make the f430 a better car than all of its competitors...but its not gonna be easy with a car like the Ford GT.

21. jeff

jeff Formula 3

Feb 19, 2001
    North America
    Five Star Ford in Scottsdale, AZ has just one coming in. It's red w/white stripe. At first they told me it wasn't for sale because the owner of the dealership was going to keep it. A few days later they tell me it's for sale at $265K.

22. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    I think in the gerneral schem of things,it's getting more and more difficult for the companies like Ferrari and Lambo to have a real advantage other then the name on the car. Cars like the Ford GT the Corvette(maybe not so much but it's in there), the Viper, M-benz AMG cars, BMW M series etc..are all coming out with very high performing cars. Cars that will give any one of the current "normal exotic's a good run for the money. Now you can buy a 600+ hp benz at the dealer for under 200k.

Technology has changed so much in the past few years,that high hp cars and handeling technologies are becomeing cheaper and car makers are taking full advantage of that.

The Ford GT will definatly give the 430 a run for it's money..but will it beat it in stock form remians to be seen. I would thing yes..but you never know Ferrari still has a few tricks up it's sleeve's

23. ART360

ART360 Guest

Ford GT: No luggage, 60s look. Maybe fast, maybe not, we haven't seen a production model tested yet. F430, has luggage, a quality car, modified from the 360, which was one of the best cars ever made. I don't think that these cars are set for the same market.

Art

24. venusone

venusone F1 Rookie

Mar 20, 2004
    #24 venusone, Aug 31, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  25. GTO84

GTO84 Formula Junior

Dec 13, 2003
    The ford gt looks like it's made pretty cheaply. It's a ford. Not a Ferrari. No competition.