What Size Are The Door Speakers On A 308? | FerrariChat

What Size Are The Door Speakers On A 308?

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Dr Tommy Cosgrove, Aug 31, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    Can someone tell me the diameter of the stock door speakers on a 308?
    I think they are 6 1/2 inches but I am not totally sure.

2. don_xvi

don_xvi F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Outside Detroit
    Full Name:
    Don the 16th
    Negative!
    5-1/4". Although mine had some slightly bigger monster magnet things in there. It might be worth a little cutting if you can shoehorn a 6-1/2" in there, though...

3. alfa-guy

alfa-guy Rookie

Jan 27, 2004
    Don't think that there is anyway that a 6 1/4 would fit. Also when looking for speakers, they cannot be too deep if the magnet is of a large diameter or the speaker will interfere with the forward window track.

The 5 1/4s that I put in my QV just barely fit. I had to remove the aluminum cover that protected the magnet and even then it was really close.

Lastly, if you are not an originality freak, remove the perforated leather grill from the door panel and replace it with some black (or other color of your choice) speaker cloth. It will improve the sound immensely and is not too hard to do.

Jeff

4. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Yup, 5.25" is all that will fit without extensive modification to the door panel. Ferrari did not step up to 6.5" until the 328 series.

5. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    At some point in it's life my car had the openings trimmed for 6-1/2" speakers.

I'm going to ease the leather grills out, use leatherique dye to color some std speaker grills to match, then mount the grills over the speakers & see if I can't get the door panel to fit snug up against them. Will flatten the grills if necessary. Hopefully it'll take a close look to notice that the leather covers have been replaced. Can always temporarily slip them back in for a Concours if necessary.

6. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    Mine has 6.5" speakers that were added by making a new mounting panel out of black plastic (Previous owner). It looks like crap, on my list of things to fix. Nonetheless, 6.5" speakers CAN be made to fit if you are willing to fabricate a bit.

Birdman

7. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    I was just wanting to R&R mine. Looks like I'll be going 5 1/4.
    Thanks

8. alfa-guy

alfa-guy Rookie

Jan 27, 2004
    Verell -

You can remove the perforated leather grilles from the door panels pretty easily without damaging them or the door panel.

What I did was cut some speaker/grill cloth a bit oversize, worked some contact cement into the space between the two halves of the door panel and glued the cloth in.

Looks factory, and is much more 'transparent' acoustically.

Jeff

9. Mike C

Mike C F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 3, 2002
    Southeast USA
    Full Name:
    Mike Charness
    Here's the same thing on a red/tan car. The perf'd leather cut out and replaced with dyed-to-match speaker cloth. Looks stock, never had any deductions back when I was doing concours.

I have Focal speakers behind the grills.