Possible relocation??? | FerrariChat

Possible relocation???

Discussion in 'New York Tri-State' started by judge4re, Aug 30, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    Hey guys, need some help. I may have to relocate to the area the beginning of 2006. If so, the job will be in Iselin, NJ. I want to keep the commute under an hour if possible (train is fine, Metropark is a block away from the office). Where is the best place to live? Looking for something quiet with decent schools and reasonable taxes. Would like to spend ~$300k or so (so I don't have to go get a mortgage) and would like 3-4 bedrooms, ~2500 sq ft. NJ, NY, PA are all fine. Pipe dream?

2. 993 guy

993 guy F1 Rookie

May 21, 2004
    Bergen County NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric D
    You are definitely cutting it a bit tight with the budget, but Islin in not in Northern NJ which would put you way out of you're budget range in both cost and taxes. The concern you must keep in mind is "good" schools and community on a low budget. I know that it's possible being that you want to be close to Islin, but then again you get what you pay for around here these days...and you have to really PAY! You should check out the website of local realtors to get a "feel" for the market in your target location. Here's a start for you:

www.njmls.com (multiple listing service...a great reference for your search)
    www.coldwellbanker.com (large realtor)

Good Luck!

3. ClydeM

ClydeM F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Wayne, NJ
    Full Name:
    Clyde E. McMurdy
    On the bright side, we have another potential member of the EC club :)

4. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    Yes, but, I'll have to learn the language. Lived in the south way too long (but don't make fun of me, I'm from Montreal originally). :)

5. DodgeViper01

DodgeViper01 F1 Veteran

Oct 1, 2003
    Good afternoon:

Looks like we will be seeing you in NJ pretty soon. There are a few areas you could move into but I would recommend a location in NJ because after a while you are not going to want to commute from state to state. The traffic and length of the trip daily is just going to drive you insane. I am actually a real estate agent so if you are interested in looking at a few homes feel free to ask. Iselin is about 15 miles from my location.

Now as for price, that is going to be a difficult one since NJ has been on the rise for the last several years. I did a quick search for you in Iselin and the surrounding areas and for around 2500 sq. feet you are looking at $375,000+.

Hope this information helps

Talk to you soon

Keith

6. ClydeM

ClydeM F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Wayne, NJ
    Full Name:
    Clyde E. McMurdy
    He's just been itching to say that! LOL :D

7. DodgeViper01

DodgeViper01 F1 Veteran

Oct 1, 2003
    ;)

8. BWS550

BWS550 Wants to be a mod

Apr 1, 2002
    NEW JERSEY
    Full Name:
    BRUCE WELLINGTON
    ERIK

DO YOU HAVE CHILDREN???? AND WHAT AGES??

I HAVE LIVED IN NJ FOR 20 YRS AND I CAN HELP YA

BRUCE

9. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    Bruce:

No kids yet. Probably going to start when we get back. Only got married last November, and we didn't want to have them while over here.

10. DodgeViper01

DodgeViper01 F1 Veteran

Oct 1, 2003
    Hopefully we will see you in the Tri State soon. Join the East Coast, you will love it.

11. ghost

ghost F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Singapore
    Forget housing Erik. You have to first tell us what you're planning on doing with your two babies. Are they in Shanghai with you?

12. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    No, they are sitting in my warehouse in TN.

13. ghost

ghost F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Singapore
    Betcha can't wait to get back...

14. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    That is the understatement of the year.

15. kenster888

kenster888 Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    Massachusetts
    School district most important. And plan on paying an arm and a leg for property taxes.

I would suggest looking into the (surrounding) Princeton area (Plainsboro, Montgomery, West Windsor). I believe Plainsboro has the lowest taxes. All 1/2 an hour by train to Metropark.

If you want somewhere close, I would suggest Edison, East Brunswick (where Keith lives) or South Brunswick. Metuchen is also good.

$300k should get you a nice mid size townhouse in these towns.

Goodluck.

16. DodgeViper01

DodgeViper01 F1 Veteran

Oct 1, 2003
    I am not sure about that one. I know the townhomes in my area are shooting for at least $350K but taxes are CRAZY!

17. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    Wife said no townhouse. Been there, done that. We're not the type that will bend over backwards during a home owners association meeting. We both can swear in about seven languages to make sure no one is left out.

Further out is fine if needed. I'd be willing to look at a smaller home (~2000 sqft) to get in the range. We're not planning on selling our lake house in Florida, so I don't need to be too close to the water...

18. DodgeViper01

DodgeViper01 F1 Veteran

Oct 1, 2003
    Well what we can do is when you arrive we can look at a few houses if you would like or I will be able to look at what is on the market then.

19. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    I appreciate that. I'm just trying to get my ducks in a row. We're still talking about 16 months or so and I want to get a good understanding of the area before I jump into something blind. Thanks for your help.

20. Ed P.

Ed P. Formula 3

Dec 28, 2002
    Long Island
    Full Name:
    No Longer
    Keith, Were you wearing your mustard colored Century 21 blazer when you made that post? ....."we"..... lol....

21. Black355

Black355 F1 Veteran

Feb 3, 2004
    Full Name:
    Emil
    That's so wrong. So wrong!

...but funny.

22. BWS550

BWS550 Wants to be a mod

Apr 1, 2002
    NEW JERSEY
    Full Name:
    BRUCE WELLINGTON
    ERIK

FOR 300K, YOU CAN FORGET ABOUT BERGEN, HUNDERTON, OR SOMERSET COUNTIES..IT WILL GET YOU A SHACK WITH HIGH TAXES...DO YOU NEED TO BE CLOSE TO NYC??

I WOULD SUGGEST THE PENNSYLVANIA ROUTE...CALL ME AND WE WILL TALK

888 882 6965

BRUCE

23. DodgeViper01

DodgeViper01 F1 Veteran

Oct 1, 2003
    It is wrong but pretty funny. I would have to agree. I am with the Ballon People. ;)

24. DodgeViper01

DodgeViper01 F1 Veteran

Oct 1, 2003
    No problem. I would suggest trying some of the home sites to get a feel for the area.

25. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    No, I don't need to be close to the city. PA is fine. PM me you regular number (I'm overseas) and I'll give you a call over the weekend.

Thanks!