I'm in love....or am I (...and going to hell too!) | FerrariChat

I'm in love....or am I (...and going to hell too!)

Discussion in 'California (Southern)' started by Jet-X, Jul 17, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Jet-X

Jet-X F1 Veteran

Nov 2, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Brian
    Well, I just got back from a nice 40 minute 'light' flogging of a Murcielago 6 speed. Wow, I'm in love.....or am I?

If there's one thing (okay, maybe two) that I've always liked about Lamborghini's - the scissor doors (hey, I'm tall, much easier to squeeze in) and the 'cockpit' of the car. Since I'm a plane geek, I feel like I'm behind the wheel of a land jet. Wow...amazing.

This car (like many) was a joy to drive. In fact, it was too much of a joy that it was slightly disappointing. The car hauls ass, and hauls fast ass too. Just pressing the accelerator lightly, the car is very civil both around town and on the road. Mashing the throttle, car springs to life in it's quest to launch you forward at triple digit go straight to jail speeds. It wasn't as torque driven as say (from recollection) as Byron's 456GT or the 512TR I have driven. The torque just comes on line moderately and pushes from there. That's either a nice comfort factor, or a slight disappointment for those that want the "I'm going blind from insane forward thrust" feeling.

The car shifts, well, a little too good. In fact, I miss the "it takes a man to drive a Lambo" approach of the Countach/Diablo/other. Those cars required concentration and muscle. The shifting in the Murcielago, let's just say German engineering is present through out this car. Nothing Lamborghini would have done on it's one. The clutch is ultra light, steering like a feather weight, and the shifting like flicking any general German or Japanese sport compact (read: light, easy, and effortless). It's also very notchy feeling, something I actually like. So while the shifting is effortless, you can still feel every mechanical notch in the tranny and gears.

But I guess that's were I am slightly disappointed. First off, there is a starting sequence, not for the engine, but for the computers to set themselves up. I'm actually growing weary of all this computer crap in cars. I want analog, not digital. No hop in and go. And the car alarm is an interference with the start up sequence. You turn the alarm off, get in, start the car. But wait, you can't, because it needs to be turned off again because the alarm is some how activating a block on starting the car. Sheesh....

Then the effortless driving and shifting, I guess why I like the older, more visceral feeling cars. I feel more in tune with an older Ferrari/Lambo than the newer Lambo (or F1 Ferrari's but that's a preference rather than a knock). Maybe I'm getting old. Maybe these cars are appealing to the everyman. Have these cars begun to lose their heritage? In a way, I think so. Hey, I want a reliable car, but I still want that "I feel I'm 'one' with the car" feeling, something I think newer cars are losing.

In the end, the Lambo was a wet dream. One I long to get right back to sleep, and map out my next driving experience, to make it more visceral the next time 'round.

2. LAfun2

LAfun2 Three Time F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    I am sending you a bill for a new monitor, Mister!! :mad:

3. s_eric09

s_eric09 Formula Junior

Feb 7, 2004
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    George
    Car and computer are a thing that cant be stopped. Prolly some guy from the 20's critizised the cars from the 50's for being to easy to drive........you know no more starting the engine by hand. But yeah the Murchielago looks really nice, and you can count on the germans with lamborghini.

Love is love, a car is a car, drive what you like.
    in my case a diesel benz LOL

......or you can always get a vector.

George

4. TheScarletStang

TheScarletStang Formula Junior

Feb 7, 2004
    Irvine, California
    Full Name:
    Sean Salter
    Man the Murcielago is such a pretty car! What i don't understand, is that not many ppl have one, well of the groups of exotic cars i never really see that man Murci's, but how does the clutch feel on it?

5. Jet-X

Jet-X F1 Veteran

Nov 2, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Brian

Clutch is like no other Lambo - it's light. A little too light, but that's okay.

And if I bought a Murci, it'd be that obnoxious lime green.....

6. TheScarletStang

TheScarletStang Formula Junior

Feb 7, 2004
    Irvine, California
    Full Name:
    Sean Salter
  7. VROOM!!!

VROOM!!! Formula 3

Feb 11, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Armen
    Whos Murcielago are you driving? I bet its a totaly different experience then you F-car.

8. EVartanian

EVartanian Formula 3

Mar 19, 2002
    Sunny SoCal
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Ha, got to ride around in a green one this Sunday actually. :D :D :D First time in the Murci. Lovely, lovely machine. Seating position, comfort, ergonomics, visibility, and fit n finish were quite superb for a Lambo. Very attractive. Seeing the Verde Ithaca in person changed my opinion on the color--it actually looks quite awsome in it.

Though I was only a passenger, I think I would have to agree with your statement on it not being as torquey as those Ferraris. With my experience in the 550, the car shoves you in your seat and launches you like a maniac--lots of "seat of the pants" feel. The Murci is very fast, but it seems to zip you to super speed without much drama, in a sneaky kindof way. Ha, well, sneaky might not be quite the fitting word, cause with the custom exhaust on the car I'm sure everyone within a one mile radius heard us. Sounded awsome and LOUD! Great car!

9. Jet-X

Jet-X F1 Veteran

Nov 2, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Brian
    A buddy of mine who sold his 360 for this. I likes....

Different experience? Of course it is. Driving Byron's 456GT was a different experience than my Mondial t. Every car is different, and has it's pluses and minuses.

His exhaust was stock. Took too many RPMs for it to get loud. I told him he should get another exhaust.

As for the super speed in a sneak way, oh yeah, perfect description. We're on the 73, and Jay (my friend) looks over and says "How fast we going" and I reply "about a 100mph....(then I look at the speedo....)....uh, make that 140mph...."

Way too sneaky

10. LAfun2

LAfun2 Three Time F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    I say green or orange :D

11. Bmyth-FDC

Bmyth-FDC F1 Rookie

Oct 4, 2002
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Byron
    so my car has more torque than a murcielago? can't imagine that to be true... but maybe it just feels "torque-ier" b/c my car is heavier perhaps? ;)

140? nuts!

Dilemma for you, eh? What car should you get next (before Lisa decides to kick you to the curb! haha...LOL... yah, a lime green murci would do the trick, I believe!)

B.

12. EVartanian

EVartanian Formula 3

Mar 19, 2002
    Sunny SoCal
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Well, if you ever convince him, I would VERY highly recommend whatever kind of exhaust that was on this car. It was simply amazing. Best Murci I've heard--not that I've heard very many, but from the few I've heard, this was the best. If you've seen that short video clip with the Tubi on the car, this was much better, to give you an idea. It just rips, snarls, and screams. But, it truly is extrememly loud. The best is at start-up, when the engine explodes in fury before settling down--startled the hell out of me. As loud as it is from outside though, it's perfectly tolerable from inside. He said it was a custom job from a shop in Oxnard, I think, just let me know and I can find out more if there's interest. Vahe (XJ220S) might know something more about it also.

13. Jet-X

Jet-X F1 Veteran

Nov 2, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Brian
    The talk of any new car in our house brings rolling eyes and dirty looks...

Dilemma? Hell yes.....why? Here's my choices of what I want next (seriously):

- Testarossa convertible (straman)
    - 355GTS
    - Countach (88 1/2)
    - Diablo
    - 456GT (95-97 6 speed)
    - Lotus 340R

....or possibly try to find a low cost (i.e. ~$125k - perfect price to land me in divorce court) XJR-15, a car I know I couldn't even drive, but f it....

Then again, that'd be stupid. For $125k I could get te Lotus and the 456GT!

14. AMGgirl5

AMGgirl5 Karting

Jun 18, 2004
    Los Angeles
    GET A LIME GREEN ONE!!! I have a green Murci and an orange Gallardo. These colors are the best on these cars.

15. Tomf-1

Tomf-1 F1 Rookie

Jan 17, 2004
    Leawood KS/ South FL
    Full Name:
    Thomas

frankly, these cars are so over-the-top that any color combo will look great....think about it, how many cars out there can get away with being lime green or orange and look hooooot.....?

i am in the mkt for a gallardo....and i wouln't mind an orange one....

ps: this is a great thread. someone should also have it in the lambo section for others to share.